• Show
Clear All
  • PartTimeHack
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • TN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Oscillating tool

Got a new tool for some work I have been doing. I have always wanted an oscillating tool after seeing so many TV demos and hearing stories from a few contractors. I had some window rot I needed to take care of and knew I'd need to replace some sills, brick mouldings, etc... I remembered how much of a pain going in with a chisel was last Summer on the lower windows and this time I was going to be on a 20 ft ladder. I came across the following battery powered Ryobi at HD.

I already have 2 batteries from a drill/impact driver combo I got several months back, so the $70 didn't seem like much of a investment. This thing is a real time saver for cutting and removal of the pieces.
    I have to say I'm a Ryobi fan after the last few tools I've gotten.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Don't know if I would go as far as saying it would convert me to Ryobisism but I agree the oscillating tool is useful. I've gone as far as trying to use my no name electric oscillating tool to make dovetail pins and tails and mortise and tenons. Not enough control there, always junking them.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I like the "green" Ryobi 18V tools much better than the blue ones. Having said that, the Ryobi oscillating tool just looks a little awkward to me. Of course I have the Fein and have been using it for more than 15 years now. In reality it would come down to the ergonomic/feel for control for you.

I think the Ryobi oscillating tool will do just what you need. It does get some good reviews. While the oscillating/multitool is not accurate enough for dovetails, it is far more precise than a rotozip and makes much less dust.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I have the Ryobi oscillating saw - and a lot of other 18V tools. The only other oscillating tool I have is the very inexpensive HF single speed. I'm on my second one of them. At $15 ea I didn't feel too bad after getting about 5 years out of the first one. The Ryobi feels relatively smooth compared to the HF. I've only used it a little so far but will probably use it more tonight. I am putting walls up in the shop of waferboard. I trim the holes for the outlets with the oscillating tool. It is handy for tons of little things like this.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I have a Ridgid 12-V, which was the first model they came out with. Wish I had waited! While the tool worked great for the first several months, the batteries flunked out early on me (and almost everyone else that bought one of them). These took the little compact 12-V lithium units. I've had two sets of batteries for it and they just don't last.

The tool came in a nice case and has some very good features, but its performance is sadly disappointing. Last year I bought the HF variable speed, corded tool. Performance is much more dependable.

(This is the only Ridgid tool that I've ever felt was a failure. I do have a few Ryobi hand-held, corded tools and I've been very happy with all of them.)

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

I've had great luck for many years with my $20 HF oscillating tool. I've even given several as gifts. I don't know if they're still ~$20, but it's been one of the best bang-for-buck purchases that I've made.
            Bill

Comment

Working...