• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Where do I get this hardware?

This is in Tool Talk because I want to build this tool...

I chanced upon this project in LJ,

and then I looked up the original at Bridge City, and thought it a cool idea, and now I'm inspired to build a tool exactly like that.

(I'm happy that 'Treeman' posted his efforts, else I'd not have thought of shop-made, and despaired paying that money for the tool!)

So, where can I get the round nut with a bolt that'd fit this purpose? As always I tried to re-use hardware already with me but I think I do need this specific nut/bolt because anything else would not work as well.

Another picture for clarity (also from Treeman's post on LJ):
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

How about the nut that attaches the light socket lyre in a table lamp? Alternatively, Google "knurled nut" or "thumb nut".

Great, simple concept, BTW!

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Do searches on "knurled lock nut" and "knurled nut" and "check nut" to see if any hits are stores/suppliers in your area.
      The first one I found ended up across the pond:

Or: http://leeprecision.com/knurled-lock-nut.html Don't know the thread size & pitch...

and https://www.fastenal.com/web/product...ultsPerPage=48

Not the cheapest things...

mpc

edit: jdon beat me to it while I was doing my own Google searches and watching Bridge City's video a couple times!
      Last edited by mpc; 01-04-2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Ebay search for "low form knurled nut"

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

"knurled nut" indeed! That made the search easier!

This Woodcraft page reminds me that my pen mandrel has this.

The next problem would be to get the bolt for it. The mandrel is 1/4" dia, but unsure of the thread size.

Hmmm - interestingly, looks like there's a Fastenal store within a mile of my home! I'll try getting there tomorrow and check them out.

Jdon, I did not get that light socket lyre reference.
          Last edited by radhak; 01-04-2015, 03:32 PM.
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by radhak
            "knurled nut" indeed! That made the search easier!

This Woodcraft page reminds me that my pen mandrel has this.

The next problem would be to get the bolt for it. The mandrel is 1/4" dia, but unsure of the thread size.
            Please check the thread size. There are, or used to be 2 different thread sizes for the mandrels. I also had 3 or 4 as I kept some spares.

AS to the bolts, I made something similar on several occasions. I took a T-nut, fit it to the location and glued it with epoxy. Then put a threaded rod cut to size and glued that rod into place. Before gluing the rod into place I usually filed a few notches in the thread to act as holders when I glued it in place.

I epoxied on two or three occasions and CA'ed (Super Glue) at least once. With CA, it needs to be inplace before gluing. With Epoxy, - before screwing the rod into place.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RAFlorida
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
              • Ryobi BT3000

Very interesting tool.

The price is HIGH to be sure, but it looks to be an answer to dado and such. My thoughts are like yours, build one. Thanks for posting about this Kerfmaker device radhak, I'm sure others will build their own. And thanks to the other posters for info about the nut.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Coincidentally I just stumbled upon this video the other day. Just shows you don't need anything more than a couple pieces of scrap and a drywall screw (and about 15 minutes) to make a kerfmaker. Of course it isn't nearly as pretty as yours.

They also show a slightly more robust one at the end, made with a toilet flange bolt.

Make a handy kerfmaker out of scrap wood. Any woodworking shop can use one of these. To show how easy this is to make I'll make one out of a small piece of p...

-Tim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

It seems to me some simplification can be done on this.

Instead of having to cut the four slot for the knurled nut you can put two recessed slots on the opposite sides that lay against the fence.
                  You would also replace the captive threaded bolts with recessed T-nuts or simpler yet put screws into the wood.
                  Into the two recessed slots put a allen head bolt to engage the T-nuts or a wood screw that screws into the opposite wood. You would have to use a screwdriver or allen wrench to tighten it up instead of thumb nuts.

This eliminates two slots and replaces the expensive and hard to find knurled nuts with hardware you might already have or can easily get.

one or the other of These screw head slot cutters router bits from MLCSwoodworking might be nice to use there but you could do your own in two steps with common slot cutters.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-05-2015, 12:50 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jdon
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                    • BT3100

Jdon, I did not get that light socket lyre reference.
                    I was thinking of something like this: http://www.profhdwr.com/08610L.htm

It threads onto the nipple connecting the socket to the lamp base, and holds down the arms to which support the lamp shade- what I've heard called a lyre, but apparently also called a harp. Advantage is that it should be readily available locally.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jdon
                      I was thinking of something like this: http://www.profhdwr.com/08610L.htm

It threads onto the nipple connecting the socket to the lamp base, and holds down the arms to which support the lamp shade- what I've heard called a lyre, but apparently also called a harp. Advantage is that it should be readily available locally.
                      the threaded hole in those is probably way too big for the bolts used in the jig. for lamps the tubing that constructs the lamp is threaded for assembly to the lamps socket but has a inside diameter large enough to pass zip cord for the socket internally. The tubes are 3/8" threaded.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-05-2015, 04:22 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        It seems to me some simplification can be done on this.

Instead of having to cut the four slot for the knurled nut you can put two recessed slots on the opposite sides that lay against the fence.
                        You would also replace the captive threaded bolts with recessed T-nuts or simpler yet put screws into the wood.
                        Into the two recessed slots put a allen head bolt to engage the T-nuts or a wood screw that screws into the opposite wood. You would have to use a screwdriver or allen wrench to tighten it up instead of thumb nuts.

This eliminates two slots and replaces the expensive and hard to find knurled nuts with hardware you might already have or can easily get.

one or the other of These screw head slot cutters router bits from MLCSwoodworking might be nice to use there but you could do your own in two steps with common slot cutters.

I thought of this too. But I feel it would take away the simplicity of the tool (to use). Tightening these screws would take a screwdriver, while the knurled nut just needs your fingers that are already supporting piece.

Maybe a butterfly (wing) nut could help if I put both on the outside (away from the fence), but that's too much change for little gain.

And yes, the two knobs are needed to tighten for different purposes - one to capture the offset of the saw-blade kerf, the other to measure the thickness of the tenon/whatever piece goes into the kerf. Other plans that don't do both offer less value.

I agree building this tool will take slightly more time, but I can see it save a lot of hassle once ready. I'm already planning to graduate from this to make the other tool from John Economaki (Bridge City founder) : the tenonmaker. It's just slightly different to make, but does the opposite: measures the mortise to make a tenon.
                        Last edited by radhak; 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• GregW
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006

maybe something like this 1/4-20 knurled knob would work..

Attached Files

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by GregW
                            maybe something like this 1/4-20 knurled knob would work..
                            Thanks - that works well, particularly because all the dimensions are listed!
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

I just watched the original video and WOW what a really cool device. I am going to need to make myself one of those!
                              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                              techzibits.com

Comment

Working...