• LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

here is a new jig I made - Router Bit Vise

Who wants to guess what it is?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Looks like it holds dowels of varying diameters, but to what purpose I don't know ... machining their ends on the router table, or drilling through their centers?
    Larry

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I thought so too (to hold dowel-like things), and looking at the serious grips (2 bolts at either end), seems to be to hold against some stress. Maybe to hand-plane (or machine against the router, like Larry said).

I have a jig to drill thru pen blanks, but just one end has a teensy hinge, the other end is open to be gripped with a clamp. So am anticipating this one is for more.

what's that in the middle - a handle, or a lever?
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back

Originally posted by radhak
        looking at the serious grips (2 bolts at either end), seems to be to hold against some stress
        Note that there's a saw kerf, probably made with a band saw, running through the center of the outermost holes and ending at the innermost holes. This is to provide clearance so that when the bolts are tightened, they will squeeze the jig's "halves" together around whatever is in the holes.

The shadowy object at center stumped me, too. I now think it is one of those clamps that is usually used to hold an attachment onto a rip fence, like this. If so, that would indicate the jig is pictured in its working position. If so, that the jig is clamped to what looks like a router table could be a red herring.

I also wonder whether the presence of the mechanical pencil is a clue.
        Larry

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

You want to hold bolts to alter the head?

Seems like I saw a bolt somewhere in the past few days in which a flat blade screwdriver notch was added. It was done professionally . . . and that would probably be you, IIRC. Could be wrong, but taking a stab at it.
          Last edited by leehljp; 06-16-2011, 08:00 AM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

its not to hold dowels, but everything else is on the right idea, the fence clamp ID and use is correct, you just haven't got the specific use ID'd yet.

The mechanical pencil is for scale. No red herrings.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-16-2011, 08:24 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

A tablesaw alignment gauge?
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back

Before we go any further: Happy Birthday, Loring! Oh hey -- is this jig used to hold the candles while you light them?

Hank's guess makes me realize that while I automatically assumed a wooden workpiece, it wouldn't have to be. Alter the head of a bolt? Cut it off? Cut new threads?

Another thought I had was that this is used to hold router bits while you touch them up with a diamond hone. But you wouldn't need four different hole sizes for that, unless the other two are for Forstners or whatever.
                Larry

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

Probably wrong, but on first glance it resembles a wooden version of the "router bit vise" that has been in Woodpeckers weekly email for the past couple of weeks (for about $100 IIRC.)
                  Bill

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by os1kne
                    Probably wrong, but on first glance it resembles a wooden version of the "router bit vise" that has been in Woodpeckers weekly email for the past couple of weeks (for about $100 IIRC.)
                    +1. That's a good guess.

Comment

• Luckbox
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Holly Springs, NC

Router Bit vise seems like the most plausible
                      I love lamp.

Comment

• jking
                        • May 2003
                        • Des Moines, IA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by LarryG
                        Before we go any further: Happy Birthday, Loring! Oh hey -- is this jig used to hold the candles while you light them?

Hank's guess makes me realize that while I automatically assumed a wooden workpiece, it wouldn't have to be. Alter the head of a bolt? Cut it off? Cut new threads?

Another thought I had was that this is used to hold router bits while you touch them up with a diamond hone. But you wouldn't need four different hole sizes for that, unless the other two are for Forstners or whatever.
                        If you compare the scale of the pencil to the holes, the two holes on the end would be about right for 1/4" & 1/2" shank router bits. The holes at the end of the kerf are very likely there to prevent the clamp from splitting past the end of the kerf. Stress relief holes, in engineering terms.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

yeah you guys - Larry and OS1Kne got it.
                          I saw that router bit vise in Woodpeckers and I thought, "that has some good uses".
                          1. in my book touching it up with a diamond hone is easier if the bit is held steady
                          2. assembling bits with multiple slot cutters and or bearing guides
                          3. holding bits by hand is possibly dangerous since they have razor sharp edges, pulling or pushing on a held bit can slice you hand.

Woodpecker as usually has cool stuff but $99 for a 1/2" only vise, and another $99 for a 1/4" vise (or a set of jaws 1/4" to change the vise over, $40) was kind of high, I thought. I figured I could do better than that.
                          So with a bit of thinking I made my own. Version 1 Seems to work fine - about 15 minutes of design and maybe less an hour total in the shop (I work slow), and less than 50 cents worth of 1/4-20 bolts and wingnuts.

JKing is right the medium size holes are to keep the slot from splitting and give a pivot point for the clamping arm thats made.

the thin piece on the front is a lip to keep the jig from rotating if you apply torque to one of the bits unscrewing the nuts or screws that hold the cutter stacks or bearings together.

I carefully kept everything above the top clear to have unobstructed access to the bit... hence the fence clamp to hold it to the table. Everyone has one of these laying around, I hope... Rocklers is the best (See my review on BT3 reviews)

More pictures tonight.

Larry, thanks for the BD wishes.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back

Originally posted by jking
                            Stress relief holes, in engineering terms.
                            Okay, sure. I too thought the outermost holes looked like they might be 1/4" and 1/2". What threw me is that the two inner holes appear, to me, to be just slightly different diameters (left larger than right), as if intended to fit something else. A trick of the perspective of the pic, no doubt.

Nice work, Loring. After reading os1kne's reply I looked up the Woodpecker's version since I'd never seen it before. You're right -- $200 for both sizes is just a WEE bit steep (although they do say that with the 1/2" model, you can use a reducer for your 1/4" bits). But even $100 is a little ridiculous for something that can be built so quickly and cheaply. I'm filing this one away for when I get a shop operational again!
                            Larry

Comment

• os1kne
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Atlanta, GA
                              • BT3100

Nice work. I've seen it in their email ad for the past couple of weeks and thought that their version was a much too elegant and expensive solution to a simple problem.

I like what you've done. I was considering making something similar to stick on the inside of vise jaws with double stick tape, but your version is better.

Happy Birthday!
                              Bill

Comment

Working...