• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Bandsaw Tension Rod Lubrication

I installed a Quick Crank on my bandsaw over a year ago. It now appears that the threads have spalled, possibly due to poor lubrication. I'm going to order a replacement (and a new spring). Is it better to use a lubricant that won't pick up sawdust (teflon or graphite), or would grease or oil be a better choice?
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Perhaps moly lube like in engine assembly lube? It is excellent for high pressure applications, I just don't know how it will work in a dusty environment.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• phi1l
      • Oct 2009
      • Madison, WI

Originally posted by jackellis
      I installed a Quick Crank on my bandsaw over a year ago. It now appears that the threads have spalled, possibly due to poor lubrication. I'm going to order a replacement (and a new spring). Is it better to use a lubricant that won't pick up sawdust (teflon or graphite), or would grease or oil be a better choice?
      Do you really mean spalled? I think of that as chipping or fracturing primarily due to metal fatigue or the metal becoming brittle. I don't think lubrication will effect that.

If the threads are just worn lubrication should help, but if they are chipped & cracked, either they were made with inferior metal of it is being put under more tension than it was designed for.

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I have to replace the rod, no question. The threads are chipped, which is why I think it's spalling rather than another problem.

Sounds like I should spring for the Iturra version of the crank instead of the less expensive version.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Originally posted by jackellis
          Sounds like I should spring for the Iturra version of the crank instead of the less expensive version.
          They do sell good stuff... And they will also know what's best to lube with.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

While lubrication is advisable on machine parts where metal meets metal, just like this case, I do not believe that the spalling is caused by lack of lubrication. Simply doesn't add up to me. Unless you sit there and fiddle with the tension knob for hours on end that is... I most often see spalling on things like wheel bearings where the needles overheat, turn blueish, and start to chip, or fracture away.

Honestly it sounds more like extremely poor quality casting / threads on the rod itself.

Having said that, the only two aftermarket ratcheting tension knob assemblies I know of are Carter, and Iturra, BOTH of which come from companies with an excellent reputation for quality... Now it is possible that you simply got a dud.... However if you got something from a no name company, that might be your issue...

FWIW, I had 2 years of fairly constant use / abuse on my Harbor Freight's adjustment knob before upgrading to the Grizzly pieces with no spalling, so that should tell you something about the quality of the pieces you are dealing with...

As far as lubricants are concerned, for right or wrong, I use dry graphite...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phi1l
              • Oct 2009
              • Madison, WI

I completely agree, I would check with the manufacturer, it may be a known problem that they have a recall on or will replace the part.

Comment

Working...