• Show
Clear All
  • woodmakeraz
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2012
    • Tucson, AZ USA
    • Craftsman

'OLD' wheels

Please break the wheels up before throwing them out. Someone see them out and try to use them in their machine.
    It has happened to me. I, like you stytooner, were not seriously hurt.
    woodmakeraz

Comment

• JeffJJ
      Handtools only
      • Jan 2012
      • Senegal
      • JeffJJEM

yes, good

nice topic, thanks!

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Thanks, Guys.
        I actually used the wheels as back fill for a concrete slab that I poured. Don't think they will be rotating any time soon.
        That shoulder finally cleared up completely as well. Only the little scar remains to tell tales about.
        Lee

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Lee, Is there no type of guard on that, perhaps you can show us a photo. I have always wondered why the never seems to be a guard on these types of machine to eliminate those types of accidents or at least a retrofit to stop these wheels when they disintgrate Wheelstop, what am I thinkin I could get rich

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

I'll show you mine, you show me your's

Originally posted by Stytooner
            You can always get bit. They are called accidents for a reason.
            Not looking to hijack this thread, but it seems like the correct place and topic to unveil my latest lack of intelligence,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stump.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	785946

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stump-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	785947

As Lee said, they are called accidents (not)

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Here is an image of it showing the drill bit sharpening attachment. It does have a partial cover in place. It is extremely doubtful that would actually stop anything but straight forward explosion. It would have sent that pieces further right I think and nailed me even more. There is another part of cast iron that goes on this to completely cover the stone except for a very small access on the front. You just can't use many attachments with that in place.
              Can't sharpen saw blades, drill bits, chain saws or bevel the leading edge of splitters with it on. Sharpening chisels, lathe tools and mower blades is about all you can do with the cast iron armor in place.

Lee

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

See now mine has a cover than completely covers that left and right hand side and a lot more of the front than that, but I inherited it from my Dad and there's nothing,not even a motor designation on it as to who may have manufactured it. I would venture to say that if the wheel were to come apart it more than likely would jam stuck immediately rather than being allowed to shoot outwards. I'll see if I can post a pic,but since the move it chits all over the place and I haven't been able to find my camera lately or anything else for that matter, now wheres that

Comment

• ledbthand
                  Handtools only
                  • Nov 2014

One of my instructors that taught me guitar building has three "half fingers" from a joiner accident. That was good motivation to be careful. I'm always making sure where my fingers are.

Sanding off knuckle skin is a different story.

Comment

Working...