• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Something else you see in some presses is a two switch system. You can't cycle the machine without hitting both switches. If the material was feed like a planner might do, then this might be an idea. You don't have to stand there and hold them after start, but to start it takes two. This would allow you to make repeat cuts in more than one board.

One thing I like that SS has is a system self check on startup. That is a cheap and easy feature for any saw to have. I remember some guys with the BT's that could not shut off the machine because the switch went bad. Such a system might alert you before that happens.

I like the mention of the self diagnostic computer chip that logs everything like an automobile does.
    It would tell you when your brushes were wearing or not as efficient anymore. Possibly detect a bad wobble blade on start up and shut down. Even go so far as to alert an operator of a possible dull blade. I mean if we are trying to protect the human condition, lets take us out of it.

Okay. Some of this may be going too far, but it is fully foreseeable I think for future material slicers.
    Lee

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
      What educational system? Many woodshop industrial arts courses have been dropped from the school system. Education only goes so far. There are those with years of experience, using equipment every day in their jobs that still stick their fingers in a sawblade. It's the lapse of concentration, or improper usage that outweighs the safety devices (or lack of).
      C-man, I seem to not have been clear enough. If you teach a child how to learn more of what he or she needs to know and instill a desire to do so then when the knowledge is needed they will go and find it. We need to teach that knowledge is power and to stop glorifying ignorance and stupidity.

Schools can't teach everything to everyone but when you teach how to pass a test and not how to gather the knowledge and skills to do what you want to do then the schools are failing to prepare the student for the world. For many, learning how to learn, how to problem solve and to think critically is difficult, it's just the opposite of what TV is teaching them. Schools need a varied curriculum to reach the most students. Some will learn this from math and the sciences others from hands on applications in what was called industrial arts classes and the fine arts. No one learns the same but all need to learn how to learn, how to think critically and to know when we don't know and to find out.

To keep this on topic, I think that insurance companies will require that the homeowner, take a class in how to operate a tool before the insurance co will insure you using it. No class and you hurt yourself, no insurance coverage. No safety devices in place, no insurance.

Bill
      and yes, I did take all the IA classes I could in school, they served me well; but then so did the math, science and literature.
      Last edited by Mr__Bill; 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

TV teaches us any problem can be solved in 30 minutes or 60 minutes (or 20 minutes or 40 minutes w/o commercial interruptions).
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-20-2010, 03:50 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

A practical suggestion for safety.

Just as a good table saw has a riving knife set inline with the blade, I suggest that a setup guide be in front of the blade, perfectly inline with the blade and as tall as the blade. The operator could line up a cut with out having the blade turning or even having the work touch the blade. When the saw started the setup guide would drop down and the cut made. This would take care of one reason that blade guards are removed.

Doesn't stop you from putting your fingers in the blade but it's a start.

Bill

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

Originally posted by Stytooner

There is more than one way to stop a blade.

Who ways you have to stop the blade? The same trigger technology that destroys the saw blade could be used to just retract the blade under the table surface without the destruction.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

As stated, elsewhere, Sawstop and Whirlwind, use different methods to obtain the goal of "protecting" the operator.

I started out, looking at the Woodmaster, prior to looking at tablesaws. I even went to the plant (local) and was given a demo. I still want one, but then it was out of budget.
              Even with one, I have read about kickback with it. Although, it seems less likely (not impossible) that one would get their hands in one. You never know though. I know one person, who stuck his arms in a snow blower, to unclog it. A couple who have had tablesaw accidents (one mainly due to age and lack of mobility), and a person who got her arm stuck in a hydraulic press, that her foot was required to operate.

I use my Eurekazone more, because I can't afford a mistake. It seems safer to me in general. (still don't let your guard down) ALTHOUGH, I have had discussions with the owner, about some images where he cut in the air. Having helped others, who may have small children, that are unpredictable (either too small to know better, or just don't listen), you never know when/if they are going to try to get your attention, when your working.

I've looked at and use options. It is everyones individual responsibility to do that for themselves. Even IF the Sawstop technology were mandated, there are lots of old equipment out there (example, OWWM website). Only when customers decide with their wallets, will things change.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by phi1l
                Who ways you have to stop the blade? The same trigger technology that destroys the saw blade could be used to just retract the blade under the table surface without the destruction.
                I don't necessarily mean just using a blade brake, though that is one viable aid for safety. This is especially true with today's open blade design table saws.
                It would be redundant though on a planer or enclosed type saw.

Future saws might not even have a circular blade or at least not just a table and would likely be called something else. Woodmill perhaps. Nano saw mill maybe.

Kickbacks could be addressed on new machines by using a riving knife. That is the single best feature implemented on circular saws in the last 100 years IMO. They just work. Are they 100%. Doubtful, but close. There will always be other ways to get injured. A riving knife works well in conjunction with a blade guard or cover. Is that 100%? Nope. Not hardly. Okay, how about with blade braking tech included. That a 100%? Good track record so far, but could not possibly exist without failure at some point.

No matter what you do to today's table saws, they could never be 100% safe. I think a better design that puts more distance between the operator and the blade is the answer really for the future. Incorporate some of the good features, but make them more like a production machine with production style safety switches.

Truthfully though, I am not sure we would ever see much progress in this area. The tablesaw is designed the way it is because it makes it so versatile for so many different type operations. Something like the planner style design would eliminate some of those capabilities.

I intended this thread to be like a think tank.
                Some good ideas coming to the surface so far. Keep it up, guys.
                Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phi1l
                  I'm pretty sure that a spring or solenoid alone would not retract the blade fast enough to prevent serious injury.
                  The brake grabs the blade destroying the teeth in order to use the blade's momentum to cause the retraction much more quickly than a spring could do by itself.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Cypress, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

SawStop uses the blade's angular momentum to yank/rip it straight down when the metal slug is driven into the blade. A spring or solenoid trying to just pull the blade straight down would have a hard time matching that response rate.

However, if the blade was pulled backwards a little bit as it went down that would buy some time - pulling the blade away from typical direction fingers are traveling. Or instead of slamming the blade with a slug of metal an internal flywheel could be used instead: slam the slug into some other sacrificial rotating part (probably a lot cheaper than a blade!) to get that instant blade stoppage AND utilize the angular momentum energy to yank the blade downwards.

mpc
                    Last edited by mpc; 03-21-2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Am I really slow (don't answer that), what about a safety that prevents the saw from starting is the guard and riving knife are not installed. I'm sure that there can be a way to make this type of safety work when doing dado cuts also.

Bruce
                      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

Whirlwind blade guard has that already, Bruce. It's a decent idea as well.
                        Lee

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          I'm pretty sure that a spring or solenoid alone would not retract the blade fast enough to prevent serious injury.
                          The brake grabs the blade destroying the teeth in order to use the blade's momentum to cause the retraction much more quickly than a spring could do by itself.
                          The blade is being sacrificed to make sure it retracts under the table as fast as possible. I do not believe any attempts to do with solenoids/springs have any chance at all.

But most importantly - I do not understand the point of this topic alltogether. People who buy Sawstop today are prepared to pay few hundred dollars extra for the safety. Notice that if you are careful and you don't stick your fingers where they don't belong - nothing will happen to the blade even if you have a Sawstop. The extra money you pay upfront for the sawstop technology is like insurance. You pay it for the peace of mind to know that if you make a mistake - your saw will protect you anyway. If your sawstop actually triggers and destroys the blade - it means you just made that mistake and really stuck your fingers into the blade and the blade has been sacrificed to protect you. If you have just been proven an idiot (as in saw being idiot-proof) - do you really think $100 is too high a price to let you walk away with your fingers still attached after that?
                          Out of all the possible objections against Sawstop - this one is particularly silly in my opinion. So it sacrifices a blade to save a finger- it is worth it. Expensive blade is worth $100. If you think your finger is not worth that much - use blades that cost $20. You probably won't notice the difference anyway.
                          Alex V

Comment

• Stytooner
                            Roll Tide RIP Lee
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by vaking
                            The blade is being sacrificed to make sure it retracts under the table as fast as possible. I do not believe any attempts to do with solenoids/springs have any chance at all.

But most importantly - I do not understand the point of this topic alltogether. People who buy Sawstop today are prepared to pay few hundred dollars extra for the safety. Notice that if you are careful and you don't stick your fingers where they don't belong - nothing will happen to the blade even if you have a Sawstop. The extra money you pay upfront for the sawstop technology is like insurance. You pay it for the peace of mind to know that if you make a mistake - your saw will protect you anyway. If your sawstop actually triggers and destroys the blade - it means you just made that mistake and really stuck your fingers into the blade and the blade has been sacrificed to protect you. If you have just been proven an idiot (as in saw being idiot-proof) - do you really think $100 is too high a price to let you walk away with your fingers still attached after that?
                            Out of all the possible objections against Sawstop - this one is particularly silly in my opinion. So it sacrifices a blade to save a finger- it is worth it. Expensive blade is worth $100. If you think your finger is not worth that much - use blades that cost $20. You probably won't notice the difference anyway.

Solenoids, while fast acting, aren't as quick as the SS tech. Part of what makes it so fast is the blades own energy. You could use the blades energy with a solenoid, but you would have essentially the same product.
                            Stopping on another surface would not insure the blade stops spinning, though it might still retreat the same. If it were allowed to spin another 1/4 turn, it might be useless. Would 15 teeth of a 60 tooth blade cut through bone? Yep. The blades are mounted on an arbor. Not a mechanical connection, but only a friction connection. If the arbor were stopped instead, the blade would keep turning some just due to Gforces.
                            If there were a mechanical connection such as steel pins in special blades and the arbor were stopped, the blades pin holes would still likely enlarge due to the forces and likely still need replacing.
                            The teeth on the blade is the logical place to halt the spinning instantly. It is what makes it work so well.

I don't think there is a real issue trading a blade for a finger or two. I know some debate that as a down side, but buying a new blade is certainly better than the alternative. If one chose to use nice blades, I suspect they should be a little more careful.
                            Lee

Comment

• twistsol
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I've often wondered if the table saw itself would become obsolete and follow in the footsteps of the Radial Arm Saw. Between a router with a good edge guide and a track saw, is there anything that makes a table saw is essential?

I'm not arguing that these are any safer, just that there is nothing a table saw can do that can't be done by any other means.
                              Chr's

Comment

• Gator95
                                Established Member
                                • Jan 2008
                                • Atlanta GA
                                • Ridgid 3660

While I agree with those saying the most important safety feature is between the ears... surely there are ways to make the job of cutting wood safer so that a momentary failure of that first line of defence won't result in a life-changing injury.

I'm more in favor of the sliding table approach to safety, where there is no need to get the motive force (your hand) anywhere near the blade than the sawstop approach. A sliding table also helps solve the kickback problem, not addressed at all by the sawstop approach. Disadvantage of course is machine size and cost.

Comment

Working...