X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Videos on planes?

Anyone know of any good videos/dvds/sites for a beginner using planes?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Chris Schwarz, of Popular Woodworking and (the now-defunct) Woodworking Magazine fame, just happens to have a new DVD out that is aimed at beginners; see a preview here.

I have not personally seen this DVD but I have several of Chris's books and read his blog and magazine articles faithfully. IMO he is as a fine a teacher as you are likely to find. Unless you're just not a reader, I would encourage you to read as much of the handplane section of his blog as you can stand, and/or consider purchasing a copy of his excellent new book, Handplane Essentials.
    Larry

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Cool info. I haven't read Schwarz's bolg much. I really enjoyed his book on workbenches. I'm going to have to get the one on handplanes.
      Erik

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

Plus one. The reason I like him is that Chris gives you all the details, he doesn't leave you there scratching your head thinking 'is this what he meant'?
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Thanks Larry. I'll be doing all three. I have a few woodworking books and they are quite informative but since I'm visual learner I tend to pick up things alot faster with videos. But I have found that the books usually contain alot more information. I'll be ordering the DVD first to get the basics down and then get the book later.

I'm short 5 cents for free shipping Any filler recommendations?

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Wow my procrastination actually paid off. They lowered the DVD price to $18.99

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LarryG
              Chris Schwarz, of Popular Woodworking and (the now-defunct) Woodworking Magazine fame, just happens to have a new DVD out that is aimed at beginners; see a preview here.

I have not personally seen this DVD but I have several of Chris's books and read his blog and magazine articles faithfully. IMO he is as a fine a teacher as you are likely to find. Unless you're just not a reader, I would encourage you to read as much of the handplane section of his blog as you can stand, and/or consider purchasing a copy of his excellent new book, Handplane Essentials.

My DVD came a couple of days ago and finally watched it last night. Very informative for the beginner. I just set my shoulder plane and finally got to see those elusive shavings everyone's been talking about . Thanks for the recommendation Larry. I'll be ordering the book shortly.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

You've gone and done it now...

Comment

Working...