• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cgallery
    Yeah, I figured that after posting the second time. Duh. Sorry.

I was going to order one of those bits if I could find off-the-shelf shims that weren't too expensive. McMaster has some that are close but no cigar (all the numbers match but the I.D., which is 3/8").

Those joints are amazing, I think they'd be great for storage trays, etc.

I guess I'll wait for a follow-up and see how the credit card shims are holding up. If they continue to work for you I'll give it shot.

Thanks for the help.
    Hank posted a link to CMT which has shims 8mm ID and 14mmOD that would work in .1, .2 and .3mm thicknesses. Runs about $1.70 apeice and I figured i would have needed 4 sets of 3 total to get .030" between the 5 wings. I think as sloppy as this bit was you'll need to measure and tweak after you get them, no telling what it'll be.

if you're going to spend $25 on a bit and then another $20 on shims and $10 shipping and hours just getting it right then you might ought to just buy the MLCS box joint bit for $75 with free shipping and I expect it should work out of the box.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-24-2010, 12:48 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...