• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iceman61
    • Oct 2007
    • West TN
    • Bosch 4100-09

Accident with a Multi-Tool

Anybody had one yet? I did the other day & it scared the crap out of me. My son & I were working on Pinewood Derby cars & I saw the need to build a second paint stand instead of waiting for the first car to dry before painting another one.

I grabbed up a short length of 2x4 & a long piece of scrap (the edge shaved from another 2x4) and quickly marked off what needed to be cut. I thought about the table saw, miter saw, and my circular saw & figured it would be quicker to just grab my HF Multi-Tool & put the half moon blade on it. While cutting the shaved piece into several smaller pieces, somehow I got my index finger in the way & when the halfmoon blade cut through, it hit my finger pretty hard while still running. I dropped the multi-tool & immediately grabbed my finger in a death grip.

Luckily it just cuts by vibration (kinda) & after I decided to let go of my finger to check it out, it only had a scratch, not even breaking the skin. I think my heart took the most damage when it stopped beating for a few minutes (or a few seconds). My son asked me why I was so white.

It's times like these when you realize that if you actually do have a bad accident, the clean underwear your mom always reminded you to wear really won't matter. You might mess them anyway.
  • schloff
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Southern Middle TN
    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

Wow, that is a scary moment.

Any time I'm off balance, or otherwise distracted, I try to focus that much harder on the tool and potential injuries.

It has helped, but nothing will eliminate errors totally. I found that haste is the worst enemy in the shop. Followed by fatigue.

Glad you're all right.

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks for the post, and glad you are okay. I have that tool too, and shall be respectful of it.

And yes, need to go shopping for some hosiery...!

Of course, dunno which would be a better statement at the ER : "oh, they were like that from before", or "oh, I soiled them now" !
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Keepest thine digits in mind whilst thou makest thine cuts...

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

It's really a wonder that it will cut into wood, and not really do much to a finger. It might have been just a fluke, or you may have released the pressure at the right time. I wouldn't get too overconfident though. A miss like that is just a warning.

Comment

• David D
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2009
            • Richmond, VA

The multi-tool technology has been in use for many years by medical equipment companies like Stryker who make saws for cutting casts off. The small oscillating movement is enough to quickly cut through something that doesn't give (like a plaster cast) but not something that will flex (like your skin).

I just got a Dremel Multi-tool from LOML for my birthday last week. I've already used the sanding attachment on that footstool that I'm working on and I'm happy with it!

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I was using my tool a couple weeks ago and got my finger with it. Didn't break the skin, did nick the nail a little. I concluded then it was because skin moved, the nail didn't.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phi1l
                • Oct 2009
                • Madison, WI

I once had an old engineering professor who was fond of saying "You ca design anything to be fool proof, but you can't design anything to be **** fool proof". The multi-tool comes very close to being an exception to that rule.

Comment

• Salty
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Akron, Ohio

Years ago when the Fien was the only one around, one demo we did was to grab the blade and turn on the tool.
                  I don't recomend it but it did sell some tools.
                  Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• natausch
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Aurora, IL
                    • BT3000 - 15A

"Methinks" if you could figure out how to dampen the vibration you might be able to use this idea to give Sawstop's CEO a heart attack.

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Glad it wasn't more than a scare. But it's good to know that it's a pretty safe tool.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• iceman61
                        • Oct 2007
                        • West TN
                        • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by David D
                        The multi-tool technology has been in use for many years by medical equipment companies like Stryker who make saws for cutting casts off. The small oscillating movement is enough to quickly cut through something that doesn't give (like a plaster cast) but not something that will flex (like your skin).
                        This is exactly what the multi-tool reminded me of when I first checked it out. I had a cast removed 20 years ago with one of the tools specifically made to remove casts. The tool "bumped" my skin & I jumped, followed by a heartly laugh from the technician using it. He then reassured me it wouldn't cut me. But I still expected to see bone showing when I had my mishap the other day. I did get a good laugh at myself that time & with the multi-tool the other day.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Originally posted by Salty
                          Years ago when the Fien was the only one around, one demo we did was to grab the blade and turn on the tool.
                          I don't recomend it but it did sell some tools.
                          They still do that on the informercial.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

I have a Fein. In 2001, I broke my wrist in two places and had a cast put on 5 days before returning to Japan. Knowing Japanese doctors like I do, I put my Fein in my suitcase and brought it back with me. Cut the cast off 8 weeks later with no problem.

I have put the blade to the skin several times to just check it and demonstrate it. The harder I push it to the skin, the more it just feels like a light vibrator. No pain and not scratches. Believe me, doctors wouldn't use that kind of saw action if it was dangerous. The danger is not in the sawing action to the skin but forcing too hard, then slipping and cutting as a screwdriver does when forcing too hard on small piece - ripping the hand as it slips. That is not the "saw" action itself but "force" action by the user.

As to wood, I have cut quite a few pieces of wood with it and it makes some very precise cuts as compared to the alternatives - key hole saw or dremel or rotozip. And not nearly as dangerous. It doesn't take much pressure to cut - whether balsa or oak.
                            Last edited by leehljp; 02-23-2010, 08:33 AM.
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jussi
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007

That was part of Fein's selling point. It would cut through hard material like wood or tile but not your fingers.
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...