• Show
Clear All
  • Rich P
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Foresthill, CA, USA.
    • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

David

I took the whole thing apart, including pulling out the arbor to inspect the bearings. I was afraid of the old slippery slope syndrome but things went fine.

You are correct in that the bearing arm [20] is mounted into the trunnion by the pivot shaft [40] which is secured by the large hex nut [42]. On my saw (IRRC) there was also a set screw (or bolt) that fixed the bearing arm to the pivot shaft so that the shaft actually turns in the trunnion. Once you remove the nut and loosen the set screw, the pivot shaft should drive out through the opposite side of the trunnion. One thing that confused me was your remark about the "two halves". If by that you mean the center trunnion [9] as one half and the bearing arm [20] as the second half, then we are on the same page.

Regarding the raising shaft, I removed the gear segment [20] (held on by two cap screws) and then the collar. Once that was done you just drive the shaft out through the rear of the trunnion, although I don't think the removal is required. Photo below is from the bottom of the trunnion after the gear segment was removed. (The large hex nut is on the left side of this shot.) As you can see things were pretty grotty. I cleaned the grime off with Super Clean, wire brushed/Evaporust-ed away the rust and repainted.

As regards painting, since everything needed it (see last photo) and I had no intention of trying to do a factory match, I used the green rattle can for the trunnion and the sprayed the gold Hammered. I figured it's my saw, I can paint it however I want!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rich P; 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM.
    Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks. At this point I am thinking what I might do is finish cleaning things as best I can then paint the small stuff inside, reassemble as much as I can and let it sit till the weather warms up to paint the cabinet. It has waited this long, it can wait a few more weeks. In the meantime I can do the bandsaw tune-up and/or dig into the planer.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Rich P
        Established Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Foresthill, CA, USA.
        • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

The pivot shaft nut

David

Here is are shots of the nut on my saw before and after..

Hope this helps...

Also see my reply to your PM

Rich
        Attached Files
        Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

Working...