X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

I like that outfeed support - that's definitely something I will add. Do you know if that saw can be wired for 220V? The seller wasn't sure. He also said the price was firm. So $300, for the second saw, or $400 for the first saw which is newer, has a link belt, router plate cutout, and extra extension table but is disassembled and can't be tested.

Comment

• Charlie
      Banned
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by dewi1219
      I like that outfeed support - that's definitely something I will add. Do you know if that saw can be wired for 220V? The seller wasn't sure. He also said the price was firm. So $300, for the second saw, or $400 for the first saw which is newer, has a link belt, router plate cutout, and extra extension table but is disassembled and can't be tested.
      The Delta 34-444 can be wired for 230V, mine is. The Delta 50-390 outfeed table kit is discontined, but I got lucky and found one new in the box. The first saw you found may not be American made, I'm not sure. A dust collection hookup might be a little tougher on the first saw because of the ramp under the saw. I guess it's your call on which one appeals to you more.
      Last edited by Charlie; 02-15-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• drillman88
        • Dec 2007
        • Southeast
        • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Atlanta area jet

JET TABLE SAW - $225 (DACULA)

Doesnt look like a bad saw for the price. I dont know how far you are away.
        I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• dewi1219
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by drillman88

That looks like a very good deal, but it's over 200 miles one way from me. It would cost me $50 in gas and a whole day...

Comment

• Charlie
            Banned
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by drillman88

Probably not a bad saw at all, for someone that has a good fence that would fit on it.

Comment

• drillman88
              • Dec 2007
              • Southeast
              • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Maybe you could ask him to sweeten the price a little to cover some of the gas money and time. I found that people who want to sell will deal with you if you tell them your situation and are not obnoxious about it. It does not hurt to ask, nicely
              I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• dewi1219
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Birmingham, AL

Well, another wrench has been thrown in the works. Sears has an additional 15% off right now. So, the 21833 that Knottscott mentioned is $449 on sale minus the extra 15%, making it $382 before tax. I think that's too good to pass up on a new saw. Plus it's apparently a newer style contractor/hybrid with the motor on the side, not the back like I originally thought. There's one left in my area, so I think I'm going to jump on it. If I change my mind I can always cancel before I pick it up.

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Having seen the best on CL, I'd say you should wait it out - you can land a goldmine. (I got a Unisaw for $250 a year ago!)

If you have haven't, check these out (some don't have pics or descriptions, but that might be a good thing - the owner'd be a woodworker with little internet skills; and others may not have seen it, so the deal might be available still)

And if you have to travel, you might as well for something like this :
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• dewi1219
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by radhak
                    If you have haven't, check these out (some don't have pics or descriptions, but that might be a good thing - the owner'd be a woodworker with little internet skills; and others may not have seen it, so the deal might be available still)

http://bham.craigslist.org/tls/1587889890.html
                    Yep, I have looked at all of those. #1 - the seller never responded to me, #2 - is a BT3, nothing wrong with that but I sold mine to get something bigger, #3 - the seller was a flake and didn't follow through on some info he was supposed to give me, and #4 - decent saw but way overpriced IMO.

I ended up buying the Craftsman. With the $100 off sale plus a $25 off coupon code I found at the last second plus the extra 15% off right now, I got it for $362 plus tax.

I know there are concerns about the fence, but it really seems decent to me. Plus it has a tool-less riving knife, mobile base, is left tilt, and the motor is under the table. Too much stuff for too little money to pass over for a used saw. I can ugrade the fence on the Craftsman if I ever want to, but I could not make the Delta a left-tilt.

Comment

• Charlie
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2009

Yeah I dunno, I think that decision is going to bite you. For one, a good fence is half a saws worth. Two, the Craftsman 21833 is a very poor fitting saw according to the customer reviews, meaning not much went into makeing sure everything fit like it's supose too, and it has an import motor thats probably put together as well as the saw. But you never know, we will see how happy you are with it in a few months. So anyway, whats the deal ? Now the lineup of table saws starts at Benchtop table saws, then Jobsite table saws, Contractor's table saws, Hybrid / Contractor's table saws, Hybrid / Cabinet table saws, and then Cabinet table saws. LOL, Did I miss one ?
                      Last edited by Charlie; 02-15-2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• dewi1219
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by Charlie
                        I dunno, I think that decisions going to bite you. For one, a good fence is half a saws worth. Two, it's a very poor fitting saw according to the customer reviews, meaning not much went into makeing sure everything fit like it's supose too, and it has an import motor thats probably put together as well as the saw. But you never know, we will see how happy you are with it in a few months.
                        Charlie, I'm not sure I completely agree that the fence is half the saw's worth. It is a substantial part of it, but not half (to me). Aftermarket fences are plentiful and easy to retrofit. Also some reviewers say the fit and finish is bad, but others say it is great, so it may depend on the mechanical ability of the assembler in getting everything aligned The good thing is, if I do have issues with the fit I can always return the saw and get my money back. Can't do that with either of the Deltas.

Plus, like I said before, the deciding factor for the Craftsman was that it had the features I wanted that couldn't easily be changed (enclosed motor, riving knife, left-tilt, etc.) even if it was missing a feature that could easily be changed (an upgraded fence). Even if I eventually spend $250 or so to upgrade to a shop fox fence with 7' rails, I'll still have everything I want in a saw for $650. I could never make one of the Deltas have everything I want for any (reasonable) amount of money.

I hope you don't think I'm putting your saw down - I'm absolutely not. The Delta contractor saws are among the best in the class, and the unifence probably is the best in its class. The Craftsman was just a better fit for my needs / desires for the money. And I agree on the classes of table saws - they are getting out of hand!
                        Last edited by dewi1219; 02-15-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• Charlie
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2009

Ok Dew, let me put it another way. A good fence is a good portion of the equation in haveing a saw thats accurate and fun to use. No offense takein on the saw I have, I'm completely happy with it. Shiney and new isn't allways the best, especially nowdays. But anyway, I hope the saw works out for you, take your time puting it together.

Comment

• dewi1219
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by Charlie
                            Ok Dew, let me put it another way. A good fence is a good portion of the equation in haveing a saw thats accurate and fun to use.
                            I completely agree. Nothing is more frustrating than having a fence that isn't / won't align properly or is finicky to set up. That was one of the things I loved about my BT3 - the fence was perfect out of the box and I never had to adjust it.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • westchester cnty, ny

too bad you don't have a friend passing through NY:

BTW, i've seen the craftsman saw you are interested in. at the lowest price you quoted, that's a very tempting opportunity. it's not a bad looking saw and seems to have many desireable features. the mobility feature, which incorporates 2 individual "lifts", one for the front wheels and a second for the rear wheels, is kind of crude, but effective. i don't see how youcould go wrong with it. even if you get it home and don't like it, just return it.
                              Last edited by toolguy1000; 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM.
                              there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...