• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

New pocket hole clamp from Rockler

What do you guys think?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

I added one to my wish list. Toughest part of pocket hole joinery for me is keeping the piece aligned while screwing together, so this would be handy.

But, I'm not sure it's really necessary. Even when the two pieces of wood initially move apart, they always suck tightly back together as the screw is driven home. I think I've only had to re-do a few joints out of several hundred in the past few years.

If it goes on sale down the road, I might pick one up or maybe let the kids buy me one for a gift.
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I picked up one a couple weeks ago. Not really sure why, I thought it would com in handy. The first time I went to use it the jaws weren't really deep enough for my application. I was doing some quick stuff with construction lumber. on any normal sized face frame it should work fine.

It's sort of a pain to open and close the jaws going from one extreme to the other. I couldn't just spin it like a C-clamp. That shouldn't happen all that often though.
      Erik

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by pelligrini
        I picked up one a couple weeks ago. Not really sure why, I thought it would com in handy. The first time I went to use it the jaws weren't really deep enough for my application. I was doing some quick stuff with construction lumber. on any normal sized face frame it should work fine.

It's sort of a pain to open and close the jaws going from one extreme to the other. I couldn't just spin it like a C-clamp. That shouldn't happen all that often though.

Thanks for the review. So overall what did you think? Would you buy it again?
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Overall, it's fairly well constructed. I'm sure it'll come in very handy when doing dry fits. I haven't used it all that much yet though.

Yea, I'd buy it again. I'm sure I'll eventually get a second. I've found that clamps usually get used in pairs.
          Erik

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I bought one recently, and just used it last night.

I think it's not a bad addition, but as already noted it's not all that necessary. The screw works well, but it's a pain in the butt when you need to go from a face frame application to a swuare corner application. I think it they could engineer some sort of quick-release to it, it'be be much better.

Also, you can't crank on the clamp, as the plstic pin is rather flexible. I think a chromed metal pin would have worked better.

Lastly, you have to have the clamp screw facing you on a face fram application, as the handle can hit the table/ benchtop otherwise. That means you're using your driver to drive the screws towards you, which is akward.

So far, it's not a bad tool to have, but definitely not necessary.

Comment

• phi1l
              • Oct 2009
              • Madison, WI

Kreg sells a vicegrip like version for more money. but if you use it a lot the quick on/off of the vice grip action might be worth it.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have two of them, when they were clearance at Menards (for the new versions, I'm sure). The problem with those is it can seat funny, and sometimes I'm not sure it holds the peices at a right angle- sometimes if tilts it depending on how it seats.

I'm not saying they're not nice- I turned to them last night when going from the face frame to the case work I was doing- but they're not the perfect solution.

Comment

• Salty
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Akron, Ohio

My concern would be in a case where the 2 pieces had a slight difference in thickness. It looks as though the back side is held flush instead of the face side.
                  When I do these I try to use a separate clamp on each piece to account for any difference in thickness. When I do that, neither piece can move.
                  Is this made of aluminum?
                  Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by phi1l
                    Kreg sells a vicegrip like version for more money. but if you use it a lot the quick on/off of the vice grip action might be worth it.
                    I have the Kreg version. It works well enough, but the problem with it is that you have to use one of your pocket holes to mount the clamp. This means you can't really use it at all on a joint with only one screw. EDIT:The Rockler unit seems to have that same limitation. I prefer using an assembly table in the shop, but the portability of the clamps is an asset.
                    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                      I have the Kreg version. It works well enough, but the problem with it is that you have to use one of your pocket holes to mount the clamp. This means you can't really use it at all on a joint with only one screw. The Rockler unit doesn't seem to have that limitation. I prefer using an assembly table in the shop, but the portability of the clamps is an asset.
                      The rockler clamp uses a peg that fits in one of your pocket holes. It works in much the same way the Kreg grips do. I think there is an advantage with the rockler in that it aligns the frames being assembled, but not so much when using different thickness material as Salty points out.
                      Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I took a long look at that when i saw it in the latest rockler propoganda.

My first though was the same as Erik P - that it uses up one hole, so if you are making a joint with one pocket hole - no go. An if there were two closely spaced, it might not work either.

My next though was, what does it take to make one of these...
                        the top bar, a piece of hardwood with a pocket hole drilled in it and a 3/8" dowel pin inserted. Pressure forces will seat the pin firmly. On the front, make a butt joint "L" and thread a threaded dowel into it with a handle for the clamp.

The original its pointed out you can't tighten too much, a wood one could be made to hold up... very easily...
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by pelligrini
                          The rockler clamp uses a peg that fits in one of your pocket holes.
                          Does it really? My mistake... I'll edit my earlier observation.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

The way this is advertised/pictured, it makes me think less of the Right angle clamp (I have one of them), and MORE of the Bench clamp. (using on a flat surface)

I have used two right angle clamps before, but since have changed to the newer Corner clamps, with one Right angle clamp in the middle. I have one Bench clamp and with a washer, it fits in my EZ rails.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...