• Show
Clear All
  • tbarn
    Established Member
    • Jun 2004
    • PA, USA.
    • BT3100

Router table for my Ridgid 4511

I finally finished making a router table for my new R4511 saw.
    It took a lot of custom work but it did not cost me $.01. Everything I used I had around the shop, including a large piece of 1/2" phenolic left over from a job.
    The top is 1/2 phenolic and it removes just like a router plate only a lot bigger.
    I am very impressed with the saw now that it's capabilities are back on par with my BT3100
    Now I just have to make a router fence. I think I will use plans from wood mag.
    Attached Files
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Nice work, I will be makin one for mine sometime in the future may ask more about yours then,Tommyt

Comment

• tbarn
      Established Member
      • Jun 2004
      • PA, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
      Nice work, I will be makin one for mine sometime in the future may ask more about yours then,Tommyt
      Sure thing. I read a ton of other posts to figure out my build so I would be glad to share any info to help you out.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by tbarn
        That's a great fence design that several of us here have built. A couple changes you may wish to consider, to simplify matters and speed up the build:

1. Each half (infeed, outfeed) of the fence has two sliding sections, stacked atop each other. The lower sections are 2" high, the uppers are 1" high; if you open both together, you get 3" of vertical clearance. I built my fence shortly after the design was first published and in all that time, I have never once opened the 1" upper sections. So depending on what kind of bits you routinely use, you might be able to dispense with the upper sliders.

2. Depending on how you secure the fence to the router table, you could further simplify the design by putting all the adjustment on one side. This will require offsetting the entire fence toward the opposite side in order to center the bit in the opening, which is why the means by which you secure the fence to the table matters.

The next router table fence I build will incorporate both these changes. It will have only one sliding section, located on the infeed side. I might make it 2-1/2" high, just in case, although I've yet to run into a cut when 2" of vertical clearance wasn't enough (YMMV). The reason is because these sliding fence sections are the fussiest parts of the fence to fabricate. Instead of having four of them to make, I'll have only one.
        Larry

Comment

• phi1l
          • Oct 2009
          • Madison, WI

That really looks nice.

Is it easy to change bit's with that router/design ?? Also, how about height adjustment??

Comment

• tbarn
            Established Member
            • Jun 2004
            • PA, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by phi1l
            That really looks nice.

Is it easy to change bit's with that router/design ?? Also, how about height adjustment??
            It is real easy to change bits. That router makes it a breeze. I can change them without removing the top plate. But it is also easy to remove the top. It just lifts up since it is only held in with 3/8" pins.
            The depth adjustment is easy too. You unlock the base and twist the ring around the router.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by tbarn
              There was a neat fence design in the latest (April 2010) issue of Fine WoodWorking sent in from a reader. FWW_routerfence.pdf article
              Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

A good read before you build a router fence.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• tbarn
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2004
                  • PA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I built my router fence this weekend. I used the wood mag design and modded it as LarryG suggested.
                  The 2" high bottom fence is adjustable on both sides. the top fence is fixed and also 2" high.
                  The frame is 3/4" plywood and the faces are made of 1/2" phenolic. (opposite of wood's design)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...