• Show
Clear All
  • toolbelt diva
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Ryobi 10" Drill Press

Would like to get the Delta or Rigid floor drill press, but I don't have room for it unless we park a car outside the garage and then I would still need to make it mobile. So I'm looking at the Ryobi 10" drill press that I can store on a shelf when not in use. Does anyone have one and can recommend it?
    Rita
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Hey Rita, I don,t personally know about the Ryobi, but I have a B+D Firestorm that I bought a yr or so back and its made by the same co. that puts out the Ryobi. I,ve had no problems with mine its a 10 inch 5 speed same as the low end Ryobi without all the digital and laser stuff. But just curious, the footprint on the Ridgid that is on closeout at some Home Depots is only about a 2 x 2 foot x 6 ft tall so double check your space requirement cause for $149 its definetly a much better DP to have than a benchtop,Tom

Comment

• Eric
      • Jun 2003
      • Cocolalla, ID
      • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I have one and am wanting to replace it with a floor model. The quill travel isn't very good and the size is limiting. But it's been a pretty good drill press, I've never had any problems with it mechanically.

Comment

• Shep
        • Nov 2008
        • Columbus, OH
        • Hitachi C10FL

I have the 10" as well. I works well with my small shop setup. If you're working on small to midsized projects it works well. For larger projects I use a handheld drill anyway.
        I feel that has enough power for what I need. I can't imagine needing more power anyway.
        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
          Established Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Houston, TX, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Thanks guys for the advice and input on the 10" Ryobi. If I could find the footprint for a floor one (our garage is packed) I would have to put it on our 36" wide section and still move it each time I used it. This section is also raised 3", so I would be worried about the top heaviness and it tipping over. After seeing one in person I think it would be too much trouble to do, so I think the 10" Ryobi would be good for me. I just plan on doing small to med projects and for any larger ones I don't think I'd need a drill press for or like Shep mentioned I could use a handheld drill. I am though going to make room for a 14" band saw, since making it mobile shouldn't be too bad. Will post another topic about this later.
          Rita

Comment

Working...