• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aimlesssoul
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Illinois, Will County

My 73 year old mother

wants a new cordless drill. What would you recommend, she only would use it to hand blinds, assemble small things etc Looking at the Ryobi Lithium, driver.
    I am in shape. Round is a shape!
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I'd look for something lightweight, with smaller lithium batteries and perhaps a snap-fit bit holder and hex style bits, rather than a chuck. Bosch has one, but it's pricey. I'm sure there are less costly units out there, though.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

A while back I bought a 14.4 LI VSR Firestorm (same as a Skill) on sale at Lowes for $45. See my review. It was too cheap to turn down. It's light, easy to handle, doesn't lose a charge when idle, and has a set of battery strength lights. That model may still be available.

Get her a magnetic hex adapter. She can insert any number of types of drive tips.

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

Not sure about prices, but there's a 10 amp lithium Hitachi I have that is great for around the house. I have the lithium Ryobi also (part of a kit) and it's not nearly as powerful.
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Remember, too, that there is a difference between an impact driver and a drill. It's usually better to have two separate tools, because those that do both are usually not particularly good at either. It's different mechanical principles involved.

Comment

• Shep
            • Nov 2008
            • Columbus, OH
            • Hitachi C10FL

I've recommended this drill before, and I'm going to recommend it again. I bought a refurb'd 12 v Lithium ion Ryobi drill for about $50. Came with two batteries and a charger. The thing is lightweight, runs forever, and has enough power for most projects. Should suit her just right.
            -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• phi1l
              • Oct 2009
              • Madison, WI

ya, I think you definitely want something like one of these 12v maglith-ion units. Because of the small battery they are really light & easy to handle. I got mine from Farm & fleet on special in a combo with 4" circular saw, a small reciprocating saw & a flash light. the combo has 2 batteries & a charger. Battries charge in about 45 min.

Comment

• Aimlesssoul
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2005
                • Illinois, Will County

She got a Ryobi

The small impact w/ self contained battery. She hung the blinds, and some shelf brackets after charging and loves the little thing.
                I am in shape. Round is a shape!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Good for her!

Comment

Working...