• Show
Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw Setup :)

Alright, I posted this over at LumberJocks but as promised I'd post it here. Here is my new saw going together

Here is a walk through of the unpacking and setup process

The box came on a pallet from ABF. Amazon's free shipping included lift gate service and they put it in my garage for me. (90 lbs Golden retriever for reference)

Opening the box reveals the manual, fence face and the fence rail

The rest of the components are accessible after removing the top styrofoam packaging. you can see the main body (far left), the table (middle), and the stand (small box upper right).

The remaining hardware and handles came in bags sorted by groups. With the exception of a phillips head screwdriver, the saw came with all the tools necessary for assembly (hex wrenches and 10 & 13 mm box wrenches).

The stand came in its own box with with hardware enclosed.

The stand construction was very straight forward, except there are a couple of large fender washers that are left over and not mentioned in the manual. These were addressed in an earlier post and are included to make up for a gap on either side of the front of the middle shelf. I'm not sure why they didn't catch it and make the shelf the right size/shape, but it really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things.

The next step was to lift the saw onto the stand. I definitely recommend help, once on it is a simple four bolt design to attach to the stand.

The large cast iron table came covered in plastic and protective goo. A little mineral spirits was used to clean it off.

Once clean I attached to the trunions, added fence rail, 90 deg stop bolt and a longer bolt to the back left hand side of the table to hold fence when it is slid clear to the left. (sorry no close ups)

After that it was just a matter of replacing the blades and adjusting the guides per the manuals instructions.

Here are some pictures of my first "slices" with the TW 1/2" 3TPI blade

!

John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I know you're gonna love it... I sure do like mine. One quick hint: There will be times when you want to take the fence off the saw. There is a little brass "key" that goes in the mounting and engages the slot in the guide bar. Put a little blob of rubber cement in there to hold it in place, or else get a couple extras from Rikon now (because otherwise, it's gonna fall out every time, and bounce completely under the heaviest and most unmovable piece of equipment you've got... DAMHIKT)

Comment

• Hoakie
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Iowa
      • Craftsman 21829

good call, thanks for the tip
      John

Comment

• PaulB

I've been shopping for just the right band saw for a month, and had pretty much settled on the Ricon, but your post pushed me over the edge. I pulled the trigger on Tuesday, and it shipped from Amazon today. I'm hoping i get as lucky as you with the ABF delivery. If so, that's hands down the best deal on the web. Looking forward to making some sawdust next weekend hopefully! Thanks for the great info and pics.

Comment

• Hoakie
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Iowa
          • Craftsman 21829

Awesome, you won't be disappointed in your purchase.

Just one note, it was pointed out that the bottom of the base can go on two ways. One way it is slightly off center. The manual doesn't explain this and I unfortunately lost the coin toss. I haven't had the muscle around to help me fix it yet but you may as well do it right the first time
          pictures of what I mean can be seen here on my LJ blog. look for JJohnston posted pics

I look forward to hearing your impressions.
          John

Comment

Working...