• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Problem with online checking of local stock is that the computer is almost always wrong, and I mean way wrong, not just a little bit. If a man standing 10 feet from it doesn't know what he's got in stock, than a computer a thousand miles away sure isn't gonna know, either. Always best to check for yourself.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      Problem with online checking of local stock is that the computer is almost always wrong, and I mean way wrong, not just a little bit. If a man standing 10 feet from it doesn't know what he's got in stock, than a computer a thousand miles away sure isn't gonna know, either. Always best to check for yourself.

Having a part number helps but isn't always the answer. In a jam, I'll go to one of my mom/pop hardware stores that carry just about anything, and buy whatever looks close. As for a nut, take with me whatever it is with the thread.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Well at least the model number online was correct, even if the computer wasn't. In this case, taking the piece along to match the thread would have been tough. I wasn't gonna drag the entire shop vac motor around.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• d_meister
          Established Member
          • Feb 2009
          • La Conner, WA.
          • BT3000

I was in the Florida City HD yesterday and saw the bottom plate and nut for Ridgid vacs hanging on a display. Maybe look for the combo instead of the nut alone. Also, I would be concerned that the missing nut got sucked up into the impeller of the vac. Where else could it be?

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
            Well at least the model number online was correct, even if the computer wasn't. In this case, taking the piece along to match the thread would have been tough. I wasn't gonna drag the entire shop vac motor around.

Some people do what they have to do in emergencies. It's convenient to have a folding handcart.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I'm happy to hear that you made out and got a replacement retainer nut.

I never made it to the hardware store yesterday, but did manage early this afternoon. I have a 12-gal Ridgid, but imagine all the filter retainer nuts are the same. For mine, it uses a 7/16-14 thread.

Perhaps it's still useful information for a future need,

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• nigebj
                Handtools only
                • Oct 2021

Originally posted by cwsmith
                I'm happy to hear that you made out and got a replacement retainer nut.

I never made it to the hardware store yesterday, but did manage early this afternoon. I have a 12-gal Ridgid, but imagine all the filter retainer nuts are the same. For mine, it uses a 7/16-14 thread.

Perhaps it's still useful information for a future need,

CWS
                Very useful - here we are 12 years later and that saved me stupid money for a nylon nut when a perfectly good zinc one could be used and sourced today. Thanks for posting this!
                (Worked for Craftsman 113.177415 probably circa 2005/6)
                Last edited by nigebj; 10-05-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I love it when a problem is solved for a new guy with a 12 year old solution.

And that's why it is always a good idea to post a solution when one is found or not so someone 12 years down the road can solve the same problem.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

That’s funny, I’ve never thought of looking for vacuum cleaner parts recommendations here! I’ve lost my filter nut several times and didn’t have a ******* size nut like a 7/16-14 on hand. The stud size looked like a 3/8-16 but that size nut didn’t work so I took a 2x2 scrap of pine and drilled and tapped it to 3/8-16 and screwed it on with a little force. It worked fine for several years until the motor finally burned up. Sometimes when a metal piece doesn’t work then try making a wood piece!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

For Future reference,
                      Most vacs seems to have a 7/16-14 TPI (standard SAE fractional size, but not that popular compared to 3/8 and 1/2" nuts) stud for mounting the filter and a holder. And a nut to retain them in place.
                      Generally a plastic -half wing nut like these you can replace on eBay Click image for larger version

Name:	shop vac filter nut.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	845667

But my suggestion is just go to the hardware bins and get either a 7/16-14 wing metal steel wing nut or a 7/16-14 Hex nut (You'll probably need a wrench) or even a Nyloc friction locking nut. Any of which can be had for less than a buck.
                      Generally you don't tighten them too much or it crushes the plastic holder that cups the filter.
                      Attached Files
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                        That’s funny, I’ve never thought of looking for vacuum cleaner parts recommendations here! I’ve lost my filter nut several times and didn’t have a ******* size nut like a 7/16-14 on hand. The stud size looked like a 3/8-16 but that size nut didn’t work so I took a 2x2 scrap of pine and drilled and tapped it to 3/8-16 and screwed it on with a little force. It worked fine for several years until the motor finally burned up. Sometimes when a metal piece doesn’t work then try making a wood piece!
                        Capncarl, that is one of the very first thing I learned on a woodworking forum - I think it was the original Ryobi forum from which led to this forum. I asked if wood could be threaded to the extent it would work without the need for a metal nut. I was surprised at the answer (yes) and how well it works. But I learned that dense grain such as maple or cherry works MUCH better than oak or similar.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

You don't really need a tap to thread the wooden nut. Often you pick the right hole size just smaller than the threaded stud and force thread it on. in the case of the VAC filter nut it's not holding any great force. Wood is soft enough it can be threaded with the bolt itself without cutting threads. But it f you have a tap that works well, too. I think its suggested to make the tap size hole a little smaller than you would for metals, for soft materials.

Another hint. If you don't want to carry half your shopvac to the store to see if the nut fits, take the nut from the hardware aisle to the shop vac aisle and see if it fits the vacs there. If it does, its likely it fits your similar model.. too.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-07-2021, 09:54 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cwsmith
                            cwsmith commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I haven't tried it, but I would think that anything but soft pine would be harder than the nylon stud and would destroy the thread if you just try to turn (and tap) a new hole in the wood.intended to be a new 'nut'. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

• LCHIEN
                            LCHIEN commented
                            Editing a comment
                            OK, the stud is nylon, don't use the existing stud to tap anything. Too soft. Forgot that. Thought about it briefly but could not recall.
                        • leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Loring, I do use the screw to tap the wood and it works great.

I could be wrong but for some reason, it seems like it might have been Jim Frye. That was 20 years ago.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Tapping the wood with the bolt, is something I've done on occasion when I'm bolting something together like a rough bench. Don't know how far back that may have started, maybe when us neighbor boys used to put together down hill carts in my late adolescence. Hardware was always scarce and my Dad was the only father amongst who'd let us borrow from his hardware accumulation. (He kept kegs full of bolts, nuts, pipe fittings, and even brackets and other hardware. Any time a neighbor needed anything, all they had to do was ask... "Hey you don't happen to have a 'so-and-so' do ya?" (One of my chores was to put everything back in the kegs.)

So, drilling a proper hole and using a regular bolt to tap was pretty common. But, that was steel and on a nylon or ABS plastic stud that may not work without damage.

CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...