• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Shop Vac - Missing Filter Lock Nut

I started repairing the floor in the shop. I was vacuuming with my shop vac and went to clean the filter. It was sitting on the bottom of the tank. The filter lock not was nowhere to be seen. I've no idea where it went or when. It was not in the bottom of the tank. HD has a replacement but it is online only. Is there any chance the filter post is threaded with a standard thread and size? A 5/16 nut doesn't fit - not sure if it is too small or wrong thread count. Any suggestions for short term fixes so I can order the part?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I can't believe it would be a non-standard thread. There would be no reason. Try metric nuts if you can't find an SAE that fits.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I believe it's a standard nut size, I'm off to the hardware store this afternoon, and I'll check the thread size and post what I find.

Also, if you have another HD in your area, check to see if they have a replacement (should I presume you're talking Ridgid here?). The store here in Painted Post doesn't carry them, but I notice the store in Binghamton carries the nut, the filter cover, and several other parts as standard shelf items.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I hate it when that happens. You should have a thread checker. There's all different kinds. I got one free from the Handyman Club advertising junk mail.

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Another option which would have resolved your dilemma would be to check the parts list that came with the unit or go online for a list of that or similar units.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I believe them sell them as an accessory at Sears and places that carry Shop-Vac brand units.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Cabman, I know I can get a replacement from HD, but their website says the part is online only. I wanted to be able to fix it today or tomorrow. I will call the store anyway and see if they have it. I'm befuddled as to where it went. The shavings from the plastic trim were still in the tank from the last time I used the vacuum to rout some plastic trim and I know it was there then. Oh and yes, it is a Rigid.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• SCBob
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2006
                • South Carolina
                • Ridgid ts24241

David, the people at Shopvac Support will probably sent you a replacement.
                List it as a missing part or just tell the story.

Shop-Vac is the recognized world leader in wet/dry vacuum cleaners. For more than 40 years, Shop-Vac has manufactured innovative, high quality vacuum cleaners, filters and accessories.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

FWIW, I know my local HD carries the nut.
                  Joe

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Joey. My closest store is a smaller one and doesn't carry everything. I called two other bigger ones a little farther away. Neither had it in stock but one is going to get it from another store and I should be able to get it this afternoon. I thought about calling Rigid and seeing what they could do but I needed it today plus it is my fault for losing the thing in the first place. I don't expect them to replace it for free when it was my own fault.
                    David

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Another option,

How is the filter? The cleanstream filters, are a compression fit, and don't have the hole for the nut.
                      I have seen them at my HD before, as well as Sears. You should ask about the black piece that it screws onto, as I believe it is with that, and not just by itself (remember not all the help, knows or cares).
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• herb fellows
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • New York City
                        • bt3100

For a quick temp fix, what about a washer with hot melt glue holding it down? Sgould hold it for awhile and my experience is that it comes off in one piece when you no longer need it.
                        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Home Depot came through. One of the stores here sourced it from another store and I picked it up this afternoon. I was planning a trip there in the next day or two anyway. The lock nut actually comes in a kit with the adapter place for the new style filters so now I have a second adapter plate.
                          David

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
                            Home Depot came through. One of the stores here sourced it from another store and I picked it up this afternoon. I was planning a trip there in the next day or two anyway. The lock nut actually comes in a kit with the adapter place for the new style filters so now I have a second adapter plate.

Hey...great news...you scored.

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              Hey...great news...you scored.
                              Yeah but apparently "online only" on HDs website doesn't really mean that. When I was looking last night I even tried changing my 'local' store to different ones. One of the ones I tried was the one my local store got the part from. Oh well. Lesson learned for next time I guess.
                              David

Comment

Working...