• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJO
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Illinois, USA.

Plate for Freud 1702 router?

Added a Freud FT1702VCEK recently during the Lowes selloff. Trying to find a plate to fit it for my router table. Found it won't fit on my Rockler plate for the PC690. My other plate/table is set up for the Milwaukee 3.5HP. Any suggestions/source? Want to use it in a dedicated router table.Thanks JO
    jerry
  • RmeDad
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Scottsdale, AZ
    • BT3100-1

Router table plate

I have this router and Rockler table. I bought the Rockler blank plate and drilled it as needed. Works great!
    Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• Mark Smith
      Established Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Southwest CT

Originally posted by JJO
      Added a Freud FT1702VCEK recently during the Lowes selloff. Trying to find a plate to fit it for my router table. Found it won't fit on my Rockler plate for the PC690. My other plate/table is set up for the Milwaukee 3.5HP. Any suggestions/source? Want to use it in a dedicated router table.Thanks JO
      Bench Dog makes a plate for it, but their plates are not the same size as most others I've seen. So if your table can take their plate that is a solution.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Buy a blank and drill it.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JJO
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Illinois, USA.

Originally posted by RmeDad
          I have this router and Rockler table. I bought the Rockler blank plate and drilled it as needed. Works great!
          Thanks for the response. Did you also drill a larger hole in the plate for the heigth adjuster? And how does that aduster thru the plate work above the table? Thanks
          jerry

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
            • Nov 2004
            • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
            • Delta Contractor Saw

I use a hex bit and adapter with a portable drill to raise and lower. It's a whole lot quicker.

Comment

• JeffG78
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
              • BT3100

Do a search for my user ID in the tool section. If you drill your own plate, don't trust the supplied paper template. They are way off on one of the holes and another is shown too small.

In another thread, I posted pics of the Freud 1702 in my BT3 with the access holes drilled through the table.

Comment

• n2go
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2009

Freud 1702 router table plate

I would suggest using the plastic plate that fits on the bottom of the router to check the placement of your center-punched holes before your start drilling. You might find that the mounting holes and the lift hole line up pretty well with the template. The oddball may be the locking hex nut.
                If your accuracy is in doubt try drilling some smaller holes in some 1/4" hardboard. Then use it as a template. If your drills wobble even after center punching the holes and using a drill press, you should drill the holes using some machinist drills that are double ended center hole types. They are short and thick and won't jump around as much.
                If you can't get the hardboard holes to line up with the router plate or base you should get help before making your 60-90 dollar aluminum plate look like swiss cheese.
                Using a micrometer to measure the distance between center punch points might be a worthwhile effort. If they aren't punched in the right place the holes won't be in the right place. Seems like common sense but I learned it the hard way on other projects.
                Jim

Comment

• RmeDad
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Scottsdale, AZ
                  • BT3100-1

Larger hole

Originally posted by JJO
                  Thanks for the response. Did you also drill a larger hole in the plate for the heigth adjuster? And how does that aduster thru the plate work above the table? Thanks
                  I did drill a 1/2" hole for the adjuster. As mentioned, don't trust the template that came with the kit, IT IS WRONG! I just set it up by using a PDF of the template and modifying the location of the misplaced hole.
                  Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• JJO
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Illinois, USA.

I ended up getting lucky and was able to order from Rockler one of their last plates for the Frued 1700 series. Arrived yesterday and seems to be a perfect fit plus hole for the adjuster is already there. Once in a while, things work out. Thanks guys. Of course, I now have to add + $50 to the cost of the router...Oh well...
                    jerry

Comment

Working...