• Show
Clear All
  • JeffG78
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
    • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
    Uh READ that review... You might recognize who may have written it...
    I thought the wording on that review looked familiar.

Comment

• RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

Dave, you ol' sly thing!

Good review; gonna put one in my "attic" too.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

To add more fuel to the speculation, the tool department manager at my local HD has been hearing rumor that a variant of the BT3x00 is being (re) introduced soon as a follow up to the new Ridgid table saws. Something to do with the new regulations requiring a riving knife...

But that's the rumor, not substantiated by any actual documents or products...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

Dave, why do I get the feeling

that for some reason you're behind some of this? lol

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Nah, I'm just a thorn in the sides of the local folks...

Unless HD corporate actually listens to their customers, which I seriously doubt, I simply don't have any influence on the situation...

Now on an IT related tack, I'm no hacker, and I don't know anyone at HD corporate... But if I did, I would have had them set the price at $1.00 and ordered a hundred of them...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

OK, here it is, straight from the horse's mouth (Ryobi Support):
              "01/13/09 18:42: Please help me clear up some confusion. I belong to a worldwide tool usergroup (BT3Central.com), and we are currently discussing the fact that Home Depot is showing the supposedly discontinued BT3100 table saw outfit available for sale and immediate shipment online. My inquiry to Home Depot online customer service resulted in my being told that ONE unit was supposedly on the shelf at ONE store, but that nobody could put their hands on it, and any order would subsequently be canceled.

However, some of the more optimistic members in our BT3Central community are hopeful that Home Depot might, in fact, be preparing to market these saws again, because they have advance knowledge that Ryobi is re-introducing this model.

Can you clear up the confusion, and state for the record whether or not a re-release of the BT3100 is in the works? I will quote your response in the community forum, so that the matter may be resolved. Thank you in advance for your help.

Uncle Cracker"

"SUBJECT: Other

01/15/09 13:40: Uncle Cracker,

Regretfully, there are no plans at this time to bring the BT3100 table saw back to the market.

Best regards,

Tim Beasley
              One World Technologies, Inc."

And that, as they say, is that...

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                Said Cigarette Smoking Man.

Comment

• pacwind3
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Vancouver, WA
                  • Bosch 4100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  OK, here it is, straight from the horse's mouth (Ryobi Support):
                  "01/13/09 18:42: Please help me clear up some confusion. I belong to a worldwide tool usergroup (BT3Central.com), and we are currently discussing the fact that Home Depot is showing the supposedly discontinued BT3100 table saw outfit available for sale and immediate shipment online. My inquiry to Home Depot online customer service resulted in my being told that ONE unit was supposedly on the shelf at ONE store, but that nobody could put their hands on it, and any order would subsequently be canceled.

However, some of the more optimistic members in our BT3Central community are hopeful that Home Depot might, in fact, be preparing to market these saws again, because they have advance knowledge that Ryobi is re-introducing this model.

Can you clear up the confusion, and state for the record whether or not a re-release of the BT3100 is in the works? I will quote your response in the community forum, so that the matter may be resolved. Thank you in advance for your help.

Uncle Cracker"

"SUBJECT: Other

01/15/09 13:40: Uncle Cracker,

Regretfully, there are no plans at this time to bring the BT3100 table saw back to the market.

Best regards,

Tim Beasley
                  One World Technologies, Inc."

He only commented on the BT 3100. He said nothing about a new model. Just trying to keep the dream alive.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Makes me wonder if Sears/CM was able to negotiate some kind of exclusive license to market the saw as the 21829 after TTI/One World picked up the Ridgid line. There are less expensive models of TTI/One World/Ryobi saws being sold as CM without the exclusivity, but CM doesn't otherwise have a "professional contractor" saw to compete in the marketplace, and TTI/One World has the Ridgid line to compete through...the timing seems right, anyway. From this old announcement in this link:

"The Home Depot is and will remain the exclusive hardware home center retailer of RIDGID bench and stationary woodworking power tools, as well as wet/dry vacs, hand tools, pumps and plumbing/pipefitting tools..."This is quite an honor for One World Technologies to manufacture these bench top and stationary tools," said Bob Freitag, Executive Vice President of OWT. "In fact, the new line will include improved features and benefits consistent with RIDGID's reputation for meeting and exceeding the needs of professional contractors. This is a win-win for all parties, and we're excited to help ensure that the RIDGID brand continues to be a success for The Home Depot," Freitag continued...Tool users can expect the new line of bench top and stationary power tools from the partnership to begin appearing in The Home Depot stores this August. (2003).
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i always questioned the fit of the BT3 saws in the Ryobi lineup.
                      it seems as if the Ryobi products are characterized by:
                      1. limited product life, 1-year at the most for most of them.
                      2. frequent sales followed by clearances for short run items made with the one-year product life aforementioned.
                      3. Aimed mostly at entry-level DIYers on a budget, most of their products are below $200, most below $100.
                      4. Mostly (but not excusively) handheld and benchtop tools (The BT3000 was called a benchtop, ergo the BT in the name but frankly most of them were sold and used with the base or a replacement base).
                      5 basically throwaway tools, cheaper to replace than fix.

I think the BT3s presented them with some problems marketing wise.
                      More expensive than usual for Ryobi even at $300
                      Highly accessorized (they don't know how to sell accessories unless its batteries)
                      stationary
                      and finally long, continuous running production - BT3000 lasted 10 years or so and the BT3100 lasted another 3-4 years i think.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        i always questioned the fit of the BT3 saws in the Ryobi lineup.
                        it seems as if the Ryobi products are characterized by:
                        1. limited product life, 1-year at the most for most of them.
                        2. frequent sales followed by clearances for short run items made with the one-year product life aforementioned.
                        3. Aimed mostly at entry-level DIYers on a budget, most of their products are below $200, most below $100.
                        4. Mostly (but not excusively) handheld and benchtop tools (The BT3000 was called a benchtop, ergo the BT in the name but frankly most of them were sold and used with the base or a replacement base).
                        5 basically throwaway tools, cheaper to replace than fix.

I think the BT3s presented them with some problems marketing wise.
                        More expensive than usual for Ryobi even at $300
                        Highly accessorized (they don't know how to sell accessories unless its batteries)
                        stationary
                        and finally long, continuous running production - BT3000 lasted 10 years or so and the BT3100 lasted another 3-4 years i think.
                        I respectfully disagree with the short lifespan concept here. There are tons of Ryobi branded tools out there plugging away, year after year after year... The cable guy that did my install had a well beaten 5 or 6 year old Ryobi Cordless driver / drill, and my old R161 router had plugged away at projects for 8 years before being retired in favor of the Hitachi, and that was caused primarily by a need to spin bigger bits...

Is Ryobi aimed at the professional market? Nope. But they are, and have always been aimed at the hobbyist on a budget / DIY market. I think the idea about the BT presenting them with a contract problem in the line up at Home Depot is more likely than it being "too good to be Ryobi"...

Admittedly Ryobi does make some real junk tools, but they also make a lot of stuff that is competitive in their market segment. Maybe the BT was too good to be Ryobi because it was better than anything else I can think of that is / was in that market segment... Not just as good... but markedly better, more feature rich...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I respectfully disagree with the short lifespan concept here. There are tons of Ryobi branded tools out there plugging away, year after year after year... The cable guy that did my install had a well beaten 5 or 6 year old Ryobi Cordless driver / drill, and my old R161 router had plugged away at projects for 8 years before being retired in favor of the Hitachi, and that was caused primarily by a need to spin bigger bits...

Is Ryobi aimed at the professional market? Nope. But they are, and have always been aimed at the hobbyist on a budget / DIY market. I think the idea about the BT presenting them with a contract problem in the line up at Home Depot is more likely than it being "too good to be Ryobi"...

Admittedly Ryobi does make some real junk tools, but they also make a lot of stuff that is competitive in their market segment. Maybe the BT was too good to be Ryobi because it was better than anything else I can think of that is / was in that market segment... Not just as good... but markedly better, more feature rich...

I didn't say they had a short lifespan, I said they had a short product span (at least that's what I meant) - maybe i should have said short Production lifetime. Give me a list of Ryobi tools on sale now that have been produced for more than a year. They have high product turnover in order to have something new (e.g. a new model) all the time. This is marketing, has nothing to do with durability. Their tools have high value for the money in terms of functionality, mostly due to aggressive pricing.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-16-2009, 03:55 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            I didn't say they had a short lifespan, I said they had a short product span (at least that's what I meant) - maybe i should have said short Production lifetime. Give me a list of Ryobi tools on sale now that have been produced for more than a year. They have high product turnover in order to have something new (e.g. a new model) all the time. This is marketing, has nothing to do with durability. Their tools have high value for the money in terms of functionality, mostly due to aggressive pricing.
                            Oh, I misunderstood you there. Yeah I totally agree with you there. A pity too. They have had some really nice tools and did marketing upgrades that were NOT an improvement...

IMHO, they really ought to just concentrate on building the best tools they can possibly produce for the money, and ONLY drop / update a model when they have something better, that would make the customer's task easier... Since they killed the BT, it is plenty obvious that isn't in their thought process...

Honestly, the Ryobi tools I have bought, I bought because I liked them better than the competing items I could find. I also avoided certain Ryobi items because I didn't like that particular design... With the exception of the BTS21 (my bad, not a bad saw, not what I was wanting) and the corner cat sander (seriously, where's the power to this thing?) I haven't been disappointed with any of my Ryobi purchases. I can NOT say the same about Skil, or B&D... Then again, I did chose a B&D Firestorm miter saw over a comparable Ryobi... I just liked the way it felt, and a friend of mine had one, mine is just like his, cuts laser accurate every time, as long as the operator is functioning properly that is...

Comment

• mclear6
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Northern NJ

Do you think this the same rational for the move from the ap1300 to the ap1301, since the ap 1300 was too close to the Ridgid model?

Comment

• dbhost
                                Slow and steady
                                • Apr 2008
                                • League City, Texas
                                • Ryobi BT3100

I wouldn't be at all surprised... I have an AP1301, and like it, but would MUCH rather have the 13" Ridgid with the cutterhead lock, and infeed / outfeed support...

I should specify WHICH Ridgid, I am talking about, the TP1300LS, the R4330 lacks the cutterhead lock, and depth of cut indicator.

Comment

Working...