• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Jeff - I know there are some folks who aren't crazy about the plunge base, but it's been fine for the little use I give it, and I love the fixed base mounted in a router table....the above table features are terrific. It's been a fine router for me.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jhgrady
      Established Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Alexandria, Va, USA.

Hi Jeff

Its $100 and has above table adjustment and fits both 1/2" and 1/4" bits. Great value.

John

Comment

• wd4lc
        Established Member
        • Nov 2008
        • Houston, TX
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

I just received my Freud Avanti from Lowes. The router arrived attached to the plunge base (not the fixed) and I noticed that the round, black plastic plate on the plunge base was very scratched up. Is this normal or has the previous owner tested this router out before returning it?

I'm trying to determine if these types of parts are manufactured like this or if it was previously used. It basically looks like a very scuffed up LP or CD.

Thank you.

Comment

• wd4lc
          Established Member
          • Nov 2008
          • Houston, TX
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Mounting Plate

I would like to affix this to my BT3100 using one of your suggested mounting plates instead of drilling holes into the sliding saw table that is designated for the router.

I see a couple of cool templates posted by WoodTherapist. Unfortunately the FT1700 cannot be downloaded unless you belong to that other forum.

I'm also looking at that great modification link posted by Alex in this thread.

If I'm looking to just cut out a mounting plate to be used on the existing Ryobi table saw side table, that plate would be placed "under" the table affixed to the router correct?

Any suggestions on Step-by-Step (lol) instructions on either building a mounting plate and/or a mounting plate plus a bigger router side table.

Thank you.

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by wd4lc
            If I'm looking to just cut out a mounting plate to be used on the existing Ryobi table saw side table, that plate would be placed "under" the table affixed to the router correct?
            Yeah, but none of the screws seem to fit and you won't be able to access the adjustments from above the table. That's basically why I ended up building one. I'm planning on taking some more photos and posting them soon because a couple of people have been asking. I've just had a real bad cold lately and so not a lot of time in the shop
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
              • Delta Contractor Saw

I would like to affix this to my BT3100 using one of your suggested mounting plates instead of drilling holes into the sliding saw table that is designated for the router.

I see a couple of cool templates posted by WoodTherapist. Unfortunately the FT1700 cannot be downloaded unless you belong to that other forum.
              Are you just needing the the base plate template for the FT1700? If so, I can scan it in and send it to you but it will be this weekend before I can do it.

Comment

• JeffG78
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                Yeah, but none of the screws seem to fit and you won't be able to access the adjustments from above the table. That's basically why I ended up building one. I'm planning on taking some more photos and posting them soon because a couple of people have been asking. I've just had a real bad cold lately and so not a lot of time in the shop
                I mounted mine to the BT3 router adapter plate and then drilled holes in the accessory table for the above table adjustments. It looks and works great. Read my other post regarding the Freud template though. It is incorrect and will not line up as drawn.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JeffG78
                  I mounted mine to the BT3 router adapter plate and then drilled holes in the accessory table for the above table adjustments.
                  That looks great! How did you mount it to the adapter plate? Did you have to get new screws? When I tried, the screws were either threaded wrong, too small for the threads in the router, or too large for the holes in the plate.
                  "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• JeffG78
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • BT3100

That looks great! How did you mount it to the adapter plate? Did you have to get new screws? When I tried, the screws were either threaded wrong, too small for the threads in the router, or too large for the holes in the plate.
                    None of the existing adapter plate holes work. You have to lay out the new hole locations with the supplied template (other than the spindle lock which is marked wrong) and drill all new holes. It isn't easy because one of the three mounting holes falls very close to a predrilled hole in the adapter plate. The existing hole is countersunk, so you will be drilling on a beveled surface. It doesn't look pretty, but it does work when finished. The height adjustment hole size is also mislabeled, but that is easy to account for with a larger bit that they spec. Once the adapter plate was drilled and everything fit the router, I bolted the adapter plate on TOP of the accessory table and centerpunched the three holes you see in my pic. Two are easy, but one does line up close to the edge of a rib on the table. It still punched fine and the drilling was easy. I had to fine tune the holes just a tad with a round file to get the holes perfectly centered.

Keep in mind that you do not use the three small torx screws or locations that mount the fixed base bottom plate to the router. They supply three larger straight slot countersunk screws that mount in different locations for attaching the fixed base to a table.

I can remove the router and take pics of the adapter plate if anybody still needs help. I will admit that it isn't pretty due to their mismarked template. The spindle lock hole is now an ugly slot. At least it's hidden once mounted.

Comment

• wd4lc
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • Houston, TX
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                      Are you just needing the the base plate template for the FT1700? If so, I can scan it in and send it to you but it will be this weekend before I can do it.
                      Thanks for the offer, Mike. I just realized that a template came with the instructions manual so I won't be needing that scan but I appreciate the offer.

I went ahead and registered with that other forum and checked out the FT1700 template that was linked from here. I compared that to the template that came with my manual. My template has one extra hole on the illustration. I'm new to the router world so I'm not sure if the extra slot is important or not.

Anyway, I went ahead and scanned it just in case anyone comes along and might need it. I do not have privileges to upload photos here. I went ahead and uploaded it to an image hosting site just in case others were interested or might want to add it to the files somewhere in this forum.

Comment

• wd4lc
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • Houston, TX
                        • Ryobi BT3100-1

I decided to take a few pictures of this router and the shape it arrived in. I'm curious as to your opinions on whether this should be trusted to be kept or returned.

It seems rather used in my opinion.

Fixed Base

Plunge 1

Plunge 2

Fixed Base Top View

I was also wondering if the model number FT1702 is indicative of this being the kit with 2 bases and that the router itself is suppose to be the FT1700. Thank you.

Comment

• wd4lc
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • Houston, TX
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Thank you, Alex. I hope you start feeling better.
                          Whenever it is convenient for you that would be a great help looking at the extra photos (your design looks great and looks sleek). I would like to go ahead and go that route and build the whole table top along with the mount. For now I'm going to head over to that link of yours and read through it again and check out some of the other ideas and photos as well. I'm still hunting around for my first router bit set so though I'm anxious to get started I don't have anything to pop into the router at the moment!

Jeff, your side table job looks professional. Thanks for the photo. Looks like the table actually came like that - well done.

Comment

• JeffG78
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • BT3100

I'm still hunting around for my first router bit set so though I'm anxious to get started I don't have anything to pop into the router at the moment!
                            I went through this when I started. Don't be tempted to buy a large set of bits. Instead, buy them as you need them. You might buy a set of roundover bits and a few straight bits to start with, but the large starter sets have very few bits that you would actually use IMO. Also, since you have a 1/2" collet, any larger bit should be 1/2" rather than 1/4". I only had a 1/4" capacity router when I started, so I have several 1/4" shank bits that I now wish were 1/2".

My first bits were roundover, chamfer, flush cut, rabbet (I had a specific project need), and straight cut in a few sizes. You might start with some of those and then build from there. Good luck.

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

... I'm still hunting around for my first router bit set so though I'm anxious to get started I don't have anything to pop into the router at the moment!
                              I agree that buying a large set isn't the most desirable approach IMO...the big sets typically get you a large quantity of cheaper bits for what is still a fairly significant amount of money ($100+)...many of the bits are multiple profiles of near duplicates that you're not likely to use....ie: 6 straights, 6 coves, 6 roundovers, 5 chamfers etc....usually 1 or 2 of those is plenty, but YMMV.

There are some top shelf sets that feature only the most commonly used bits that offer very high quality....the Whiteside 7 pc set are all highend American made cutters ...Holbren's "BT310" discount code brings it to <$80 shipped. With a set like this you're getting the same bits as you'd buy individually but are saving some money buying the set. Infinity and Freud offer similar sets. You can add other profiles as needed. If you're looking for inexpensive sets that aren't junk, I'd look into the MLCS 15 pc set for $40 shipped. Holbren's house brand is highly rated for inexpensive imports too.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2007
                                • Chapel Hill, NC
                                • Ryobi BT3100

wd4lc -- I posted about 20 more pictures for you back over on this thread:
                                This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

Comment

Working...