Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

[QUOTE=drumpriest;384606]I do wonder about granite as a ts surface, why not quartz countertop? Man made, and gets warranted by counter top manufacturers when they won't do so with granite.

Why Granite?.... Because Scott Box (president of Steel City) was sitting around with the Chinese engineers from the plant owned by Steel City in China at dinner hashing over things like the cost of cast iron rising sharply. A few beers were being had and someone jokingly mentioned they should use Granite for tops. There is a Granite quarry a few miles from the Steel City manufacturing plant there in China with some of the highest grade granite in the world.

Everyone laughed it at the suggestion except one Chinese engineer who showed up at dinner the next evening with a slab of granite. The rest of the story is now history you could say. TTI is technically making the TS as they signed a licensing agreement with Steel City for the technilogical rights to use granite. The saw is being made in the Steel City factory in China but TTI will be handling their own warranty so I cannot say what that is.

Steel City gives 10 year warranty on thier granite tops with the exception of the granite lathe. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Steel City TS almost like that one very soon..... v-eeeeeeerrrrrrrry soon. Just an un-educated guess mind you but... my track record at guessing is not all that bad.

BTW... I have been using a Granite fence on my SC 8" jointer for two years now as the original proto-type fence was brought to my shop 4 days after being introduced at the Las Vega WW Show. Scott Box delivered it personally and helped switch my cast iron fence for the granite which took about 5 minutes.

I was asked to field test the granite fence which has seen around 10,000 linear feet of stock across the surface. I have bumped it hard with 10'-12' 8/4 stock swinging it into position.. I intentionally hit it hard 5-6 times with a 1" wrench on the back of the fence to see if it would chip. The results so far is... no chips.. no cracks... no rust.. absolutely flat as the day I got it.

Do I expect it to crack from stress ten years down the road as even well monitored cast iron stress relieving (which is a long process) can allow... No.. as the granite has been stress relieved for 5 million years and all showing any stress from the quarry has been eliminated before it hits the assembly line for final grinding...

I hope to see the new saws soon as I have to drive up to Murfreesboro, Tennessee to pick up the new Steel City variable speed drill press proto-type introduced in August at IWF. I was asked to field test that machine and will get it as soon as the production models start rolling in the door from the Chinese plant.

Regards...

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, very cool Sarge. Nice connection, hope they comp'd you well for your time testing the fence..perhaps with a TS???
      Enjoy
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by chopnhack
        Wow, very cool Sarge. Nice connection, hope they comp'd you well for your time testing the fence..perhaps with a TS???
        Enjoy

Very well as I got the fence... need a cast iron one? I worked my hinny off assembling machines for 3 days before IWF and for 5 days during the show which I really wouldn't consider working your hinny off to get the TS. Drill press needs to be field tested.. someone has to do it. Need an excellent but heavily used Rigid 15" DP cheap...

Happy Holidays to you and yours....

Comment

Working...