• Show
Clear All
  • annunaki
    • Jan 2008
    • White Springs, Florida
    • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Battery Adapter for 18 volt DeWalt power tools

Stumbled upon this video.
    Weight shouldn't be much of a factor because the Dewalt part is empty of battery pack.
    One blogger said he used the Ryobi flashlight socket epoxyed to a Dewalt battery case that had the bottom cut out.

Since I own both Dewalt & Ryobi, I will make my own adapter.

This battery adapter enables you to use inexpensive Ryobi batteries for all your 18 volt DeWalt power tools. This was available on ebay, however ebay pulled...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

Why not just take the batteries out of the Ryobi and install them in the DeWalt?
    John Hunter

Comment

• annunaki
      • Jan 2008
      • White Springs, Florida

For two reasons

1. It would require taking apart two cases (Dewalt & Ryobi) just to get one usable battery pack. If I want a second battery-two more!
      With this single one adapter, (using one worn out DeWalt battery case, and cutting up one cheap Ryobi flashlight) I can use as many ryobi batteries as I want to, and when I get to purchasing new Lithium ones, those will fit as well in both DeWalt & Ryobi tools that I own. (Unlike Ryobi, New DeWalt Lithium batteries will not retro fit older DeWalt tools).

2. If I did as you suggest, then those transplanted Ryobi battery packs into the DeWalt case would now only work in DeWalt, and I would have to switch them back to their original Ryobi case in order to use them in my Ryobi tools. This simply would not make sense.

With the adapter, my Ryobi batteries can be used in both DeWalt & Ryobi tools and I can still use my old DeWalt batteries until they finally wear out.

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

It is a neat idea. I don't know how many will sell, as it would throw off the balance of the tool quite a bit.

If you're looking for 18v DeWalt batteries, my local HD had a 2-pack marked down to $89.99 a week or 2 ago (usually $119.99). That's still quite a bit more than the Ryobi batteries (2 for $49.99), but it's better than the usual $89.99/ea. price.

DeWalt claims that their Lithium-ion batteries are backward compatible with the old tools.
        Last edited by os1kne; 08-13-2008, 07:10 AM.
        Bill

Comment

• annunaki
          • Jan 2008
          • White Springs, Florida

Dewalt 18 V Lithium

I thought their first 18V lithium were not retro. Did Ryobi force them to change?

I own about 10 batteries of both brands, but will no longer replace the DeWalt at their more than twice price, when I can adapt the Ryobi.

I didn't say I was going to sell the conversion, only make one for myself.

Selling them would probably result in legal problems which is probably why they are no longer available on Ebay.

I only presented this information, for anyone who like myself, might be interested in making their own. No laws broken on free how-to speech.

As for the balance, I will report back my experiences. It is a cheap project.

One DEAD DeWalt NiCad battery- $0.00
          One Ryobi flashlight $12.99 (list, refurb $9.99)
          Epoxy glue $5.00

Total cost $15-$20

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

That's cool!
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tigerpilot

Wondering if anyone has built one of these? I am trying but the Dewalt pack is too shallow to epoxy the cutoff Ryobi flashlight handle. I cut the handle just above the socket but it still seems to be about 3/8" too long. Any ideas will be appreciated.
              Regards.....

Comment

• os1kne
                • Jan 2003
                • Atlanta, GA
                • BT3100

It's been a long time since this was posted - has anyone tried this? If so, any plans with measurements?

I originally thought that this was kinda goofy, but now that I have a handful of 18v Dewalt tools with a couple of tired NiCd batteries, and a handful of good Ryobi LiOn batteries, it seems like it might be worth a try (mostly for tools that aren't used regularly).

Thanks!
                Bill

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Yea I tried something like this years ago...... and got a nasty letter from dewalts lawyers when they found out about our intentions to build adapters for battery operated tools to use other brand batteries.
                  This adapter is large and clunky, no reason for it to be as large as the original battery. It looks like an afterthought, but no reason it won’t work.

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                    Yea I tried something like this years ago...... and got a nasty letter from dewalts lawyers when they found out about our intentions to build adapters for battery operated tools to use other brand batteries.
                    Unless something they have is patented, I don't see what kind of quit-claim they'd have.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

They have patents. Boxes full of them, they even patented the color, and the idea of an adapter. Someone with Soros money might could hire enough lawyers to find a way around but I would spend out long before, and there was not enough money to be made to even pay the help..

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Be cautious switching Li-Ion batteries between tools, it can create a fire and explosion hazard. Different manufacturers put the protection circuitry in the battery or the tool, and have different protection limits.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

When we were working on the battery adapter project I don’t think LI batteries were out, just nicad. I wonder if the old 14 and 18volt tools would even work on li batteries, or would the battery sense a problem and shut off.

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                            When we were working on the battery adapter project I don’t think LI batteries were out, just nicad. I wonder if the old 14 and 18volt tools would even work on li batteries, or would the battery sense a problem and shut off.
                            Ryobi blue tools that had the nicads will work with the lithium batteries just fine. No problem there. I still have a couple of blue tools and use the 18V lithiums on them occasionally - when I use the blue tools . . . as I don't have any nicads to power them anymore.
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp

Ryobi blue tools that had the nicads will work with the lithium batteries just fine.
                              Functioning is not the same as safe. The risk with Li-Ion batteries they can catch fire or explode if they get too hot or discharge too fast. Personally I would not chance it unless I was certain the protection was in the battery pack rather than in the tool. If the protection is in the battery pack, it should be OK to use it in a tool designed for NiCads.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...