Is this a good deal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dale In Corona
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • 81
    • Corona, CA, USA.

    #1

    Is this a good deal?

    DELTA 6" 120V VARIABLE SPEED BENCH JOINTER - $100
    Craigslist listing - looks well used.

    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/399009381.html


    Appreciate any advice.

    Thanks,

    Dale
  • LCHIEN
    Super Moderator
    • Dec 2002
    • 22085
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

    #2
    that's a competant jointer, the only thing is the bed length limits your ability to make perfectly straight boards of more than about, 4' long. Easy to handle.
    I used one for a few years but eventually got a floor standing model with 46" beds.

    I think they used to sell for about $250 but have come down since an identical "shopmaster" tagged version JP-160 is out.
    I sold mine used for $150 and it was in pretty good condition with an extra set of blades (worth about $15) and a home-made dust hose adapter.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

    Comment

    • ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • 1559
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

      #3
      Originally posted by Dale In Corona
      DELTA 6" 120V VARIABLE SPEED BENCH JOINTER - $100
      Craigslist listing - looks well used.

      http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/399009381.html


      Appreciate any advice.

      Thanks,

      Dale
      Before you buy check out the reviews here:http://www.amazon.com/Delta-JT160-Sh.../dp/B00006K00R

      The aluminum fence on this jointer has a problem according to some of the reviews.

      I owned a ShopFox 6" table top jointer with a cast iron fence and the jointer worked just ok. The biggest problem I had was that I could only comfortably joint stock 3 ft long or less and even that was a chore at times. After a year I gave up on it and sold it for $80 (Paid $199) and picked up a barely used 7" (really 6") HF floor model jointer for $100 that was barely used. After some alignment it works perfect even though the design is dated.

      Unless you are really pressed for space I would recommend passing and looking or a floor model. I have seen Ridid, HF and Deltas on Craigslist for not much more than this jointer. Consider putting a floor model on a mobile base and storing it under the TS or against the wall until you need it. They don't really take much storage space. In the long run you won't reget it.

      If you decide to go with the table top Delta I wouldn't pay more than $60-75 if it looks well used. Joint a board with it before you buy. If the seller says no, walk away.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

      Comment

      • Garasaki
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2006
        • 550

        #4
        I don't think I'd buy it. I'd go for something that's all cast iron.
        -John

        "Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

        Comment

        • ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • 1559
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

          #5
          Here is another. probably older but some of the older craftsman were good. Not mine, don't know the seller.

          http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/397852016.html
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Dale In Corona
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2005
            • 81
            • Corona, CA, USA.

            #6
            Thanks for the replies.

            The comments about considering a larger floor standing model and the condition of the fence are well taken. I just started looking and will certainly look around and do some more research before I buy anything.

            ragswl4 - saw that sears model listed too... replied to the guy, we'll see if he has pics or more info about the condition and if it sounds good I might go look at it.

            Not sold on anything - yet – and I definitely appreciate all the experienced and well considered advice I get on here!


            Dale

            Comment

            Working...