• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

My second job after highschool (class of 62') was as a mechanical inspector in a local factory. I remember during my interview the manager asking me if I could read micrometers and he immediately tested me so he could see. I got the job, but soon found that a standard micrometer was pretty limited. I bought a 'vernier' and that served the job well for most of my daily line and parts inspection. (In the lab we had other tools.) My particular verniers measure out to 7-1/4 inches and I used them well after I left that job and became a technical illustrator, where I'd often measure small parts.

I still have that vernier and the leather holster it came with. I keep it clean and the markings are still in great condition, and I've never dropped it or scratched it up. About ten years ago I bought a cheap digital (HF) and it serves my needs in the shop for small, precise measurements as my vision in old age isn't what it used to be. Whether measuring 'inside', 'outside', of 'depth' a vernier caliper is the right tool to have.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• nicer20
      Established Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Dublin, CA
      • BT3100

I am using my digital calipers quite frequently. In fact my go-to-tool for measuring all sorts of dimensions of small parts and inside, outside diameters, depth of drilling etc.

BTW, cwsmith have you compared your trusted old one with the new digital ones? How does the digital one compares in accuracy?

Comment

• cwsmith
        cwsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        I've actually found them to be within a fraction of a thousand's of each other when the HF is working. The HF caliper goes out to ten-thousands which of course the older manual vernier does not. The problem with the HF though is that it jumps around a bit and after ten years of pulling the battery out after every use, it doesn't hold the reading as well and too often resets itself in the midst of taking a measurement. I'm really still using the old verniers for the most part, though I have to use a magnifing glass to do the reading. Sometimes I also use the HF digital if necessary to double check if I question my reading.

For the little that I do these days, it's rare that I'm concerned with any measurement that is in the thousanth.

CWS

• nicer20
        nicer20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great. Glad to know that the HF one is fairly accurate. That is the one I have too.
    • leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by durango dude
      I have a decent IGuaging caliper - and use it a bit when making pens.

I have gobs of pen parts ----- most without instructions.

So - to figure out which bushing I need - I get out the digital calipers.

They help with everything - from determining drill size to figuring out bushings.

I wouldn't want to be missing my pair.
      In addition to those items you mentioned, I measure the pen parts diameter such as the center band, clip end and nib/nose cone end, write those measurements down and turn the wood to those sizes. Perfect fit every time.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I found iGaging to have no customer support at all would not even reply to multiple requests for parts for an obviously defective caliper. I will never buy from them again.

my current fave is a home depot husky after multiple hf units have gotten flakey and died from old age. The HD unit costs a little more but comes with lifetime warranty.

I have not found a digital caliper that varies any from the expensive mitutoyo ones at work.
        I have multiples in the house, by the drill press And on the router table next to the table saw.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-09-2022, 05:33 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've got the HF set, along with a set made by I think Mibro, that I bought back in maybe 2008 on Amazon. Feature for feature they are identical, and they seem to match readings wise.... But there are big differences in 2 areas...

Home The HF caliper needs some tension adjustment under the battery cover to keep the battery in contact. I.E. small slip of paper doubled over to shove the battery into the contacts or it WILL NOT work.
          Forum The Mibro has better quality plastics for sure, but it drains batteries FAST compared to the HF...

I don't regret either, and use them for all sorts of measurements. WHat size is that dowel? Break out hte calipers. Did I get that board planed to the right thickness? Calipers, Is that tenon the right thickness before I try fit? Calipers...

No they are not micrometer accurate. But then again I haven't done an engine rebuild since I was in tech school 32 years ago...

Good thing I never sprung for Starett Micrometer set. They are nice but boy they are spendy...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yes, I had a number of HF calipers fail after a few years... poor contacts for the battery often to blame.

Fortunately for under $20 they are almost disposable, you don't feel bad tossing them.

One thing about the HF calipers. the power switch only controls the display on off which is very low power. The caliper remains powered up and uses practically the same current... a few microamps I measured it at one time, But it does drain the battery over a few months if you use it or not. One good thing is the zero is memorized. as a result. You can measure something without closing to check zero altho I do always recommend doing that.

On My HF, I take the battery out. when not using it now to prevent drain and corrosion.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• nicer20
              Established Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Dublin, CA
              • BT3100

I have the HF one. Not sure if I have the battery problem though. I have not changed the battery for several years since I bought it. It is still working perfectly. I will open and check the battery compartment today.

Mine is one all metal and comes as "Lifetime warranty" on the box. I think they changed that a few years ago and now has only "Limited warranty", the last time I noticed in the store.

Comment

Working...