X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by caseyd
    Ray, that's exactly the problem that I'm having. Here's the odd thing. The picture on the top left is the 1/4" adapter that I was talking about, however, the collet on the right is actually just the nut, and the part that has 4 sections that should aide in tightening the bit is actually inside the router. It seems as though I may have somehow done something that made that section of the collet slide into the router, so now the nut is separate from this piece and almost impossible to remote from the router.
    Well, at least we've cleared up what's where. As has been said, the collet itself (the part with the four slits) MUST be removed from the recess in the router shaft. Once this is done, see if it will reassemble onto the nut.

In its current position, because it has compressed in upon itself, it won't accept the shaft of a 1/2" bit, but when it's released it will probably be OK. If not, replace the whole assembly. From what has been said, I now doubt that it's the wrong size, but if replacing, be sure to specify 1/2"

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• reddog552
      Established Member
      • Dec 2006
      • Belleville Il.
      • Bt3000

Hitachi M12V

This is the Chuck sleeve on left 1/4 " It incerts into Collet Chuck right 1/2"??? The Collet Chuck must be loose or out to place bit in. it is a verry close fit.Hope this helps.
      Last edited by reddog552; 07-04-2007, 07:08 AM.
      The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by reddog552
        This is the Chuck sleeve on left 1/4 " It incerts into Collet Chuck right 1/2"??? The Collet Chuck must be loose or out to place bit in. it is a very close fit.Hope this helps.
        Your picture shows the original "Hitachi-style" collet, as fitted to the M12V, not the newer "self-releasing" type as fitted to the latest model, the M12V2, which is Casey's model. The type as shown is one-piece collet, the new version is two-piece (see pictures at the head of this page).

Ray.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• caseyd
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2007

Well, I got it fixed. Looks like the sleeve inside the router was the problem. After some careful disassembly and a few careful taps of my hammer I managed to get it out. Now everything seems to be in pretty good shape. Now on to making some holes . Thanks a bunch guys.

Comment

• sscherin
            • Dec 2003
            • Kennewick, WA, USA.

I have an M12V and the 1/2" bits I have are a smooth fit..
            I'd see if they will send you a new collet.

{edit}
            Just saw the last post.. never mind!
            Last edited by sscherin; 04-23-2007, 02:01 AM.
            William's Law--
            There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
            cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• Yeorwned

Originally posted by RayintheUK
              [ATTACH]5168[/ATTACH]
              I recently bought a M12v2 and have the same problem with stuck bits and am currently at the point where I haven't been able to use the router for several months. The only difference is my router did not come with two collets that are displayed as shown. Only two inserts for one nut. I bought it last September with intentions to put it in a table but it's been useless since the day I bought it since everything seems to stick with the canadian 1/2" bits I'm using in a US model router.

Comment

• Pakman
                Handtools only
                • Apr 2017

Hey Guys,

Know this is an ancient post/thread but I bought a M12V2 years ago and am just now setting up my little shop.
                I bought it in Estonia sold as 1/2"/12mm in the description. I also bought the router raiser and 1/2" shank xtreme xtension from a different source.
                Tried to install the 1/2" (12.7mm) shanked extension in the collet and it doesn't fit properly.

After a little searching (which lead me here as well ) I found that Hitachi sells/sold the M12V2 with two sets of collets 12mm&8mm and 1/2"&1/4".
                Measured the tailend ID of my collets and the collet centering tool which came with it and I have the 12mm & 8mm set. So needless to say the 1/2" (12.7mm) shank won't fit.
                So need a need collet set or at least a 1/2"er (extension comes with a 1/4" sleeve) .

Here shows the 1/2" collet part nr. is 323-421 and the 12mm is 325-199.

Not sure what the 1/4" part number is.

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

This is rather late, so maybe you already found your 1/2" collet?

If not, this looks to be a replacement: https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Elec.../dp/B00MG4NSUW

or here : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...-/111824394831
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

Working...