• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Router Speed calibration: Bosch 1617 meets Photo Tachometer

I bought a $20 photo tachometer on eBay. Just search for photo tach*.
    It has a visible red laser beam, that you aim at a piece of reflective tape (about 24 inches supplied, I used just 3/8 long piece) you attach to the side of the rotating item and it counts the reflections as it passes by.

I checked the accuracy by pointing it at a flourescent light which lights twice per power cycle or 120 times per second. It readily read the output of the light as a reflection at 7203 RPM. 120 times per second is 7200 RPM so it was .04%; high, not bad I guess but I would have expected a better crystal oscillator time standard than 416 ppm. Usually the power frequency is very, very accurate, but maybe it was off. Anyway plenty good enough for WW machinery.

I checked using the reflector tape on my drill press with pulley sets at several rates and found them to be about for example 1180 RPM for the 1100 RPM setting which is to be expected with no load and an induction motor.

The Bosch 1617EVS has an electronic speed control supposedly with constant speed so that the speed does not vary with load. The speed is set with an orange dial marked 1 to 6. Its more or less continuously variable but has very slight "detents". Felt like four detents per number which I suppose is to keep the dial from vibrating to another value, but it made it easy to set the number closely instead of guessing.

I set up the router with the tape reflector on a flat of the collet nut. No bit, no load. Router on its side.

As you can see from the attached plot, the Bosch numbers don't quite match. They're as much as 5000 RPM off in the middle or at #4. They do match at the endpoints, but the bosch suggeted values are all high in between. Actually I find my curves more believable as they are at least in a smooth line. I have no reason to think my numbers are anything but correct to better than .1%, for my router at no load.

Some possible explanations for the differences:
    No load vs. load for Bosch's figures (well, its supposed to be constant speed feedback, so I doubt it)
    Router position (turns easier when up and down as opposed to horizontal? Doubt it)
    Different router, electronic component differences (maybe... but probably not; if so, why the 2nd order wobble in their plot?)
    Bosch numbers Just Plain Off (most likely).

It is not convenient for me to load the router and measure the speed without some help, furthermore, it's hard to control the load at anything but no load. So I'm not going to do that .

Anyway, what it is, is what it is.
    You might want to print it off and keep with your router or router accessories.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-02-2019, 01:01 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Good info, Loring. Thanks!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• BasementDweller
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2004
      • PA.
      • nt3100.001

Ah man...

Seriously, did you have to make it so easy to find one of these devies? I mean providing search terms, payment price, and a website? Geez...

There goes another 20 bucks!

Thanks Loring!
      Click. . . Hey, turn the lights back on! I'm still down here!
      http://www.teraflax.com

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Now router manufacturers just need to build a similar device right into the body that allows you to set the speed digitally.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cgallery
          Now router manufacturers just need to build a similar device right into the body that allows you to set the speed digitally.
          That could probably be done for around $10 or less per router if they wanted to. A tachometer circuit and digital readout would be about all that is required. The housing, switches, laser and photo-pickup part would be un-necessary since they should already have the speed signal internally in the speed control circuit.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Loring old buddy,

You got just waaay too much free time on your hands (or you never sleep)

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...