• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Faming Nailer?

Thinking of buying one. I've looked at a few online. Thinking that I might buy a Grizzly one. Anyone have one of these? Any generic advise on framing nailers? I'll not be using it much, building just an 8' by 10' warehouse corner partition in the near future.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

I have used Porter Cable and liked ita lot but I Know several guys who bought one from Harbor Freight with equal sucess. They have one on sale that shoots full head nails for $69 right now and my add had a 15% off coupon on the back which would make for a very good price. I don't know about the Grizzly but their products are held in higher regard tha HF for most things.
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Mark I use the Porter Cable, but a friend has the HF. I looked at Grizzely's after Christmas, they looked okay. Bill
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

I have a Porter Cable and its great. I'd consider the Ridgid if i bought a new one.

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

I have a HF, Used it last year to build an 8 X 12 storage shed. They are a bit heavier than some but it worked flawlessly and only cost me $89
          John Hunter

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

I'm a big fan of Bostich Nailers. Work well never had a jam. Some models requier no oil. I own 2 different models. An 18 gauge brad nailer stapler and a 16 gauge oil less finish nailer. Very light weight magnesium body on the 16 guage nailer. Will probably be in need of a framing nailer in the future and will probably get a Bostich.
            Last edited by sparkeyjames; 03-22-2007, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

I have the Bostich nailer, and like it a lot so far. We build my brother's "play house" with it, and some framing on my parent's house. Done a bang up job thus far.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Copiague, New York, USA.

Look on E-bay or Craiglist, You might get a name brand used one for the price of a HF. Then you can sell it for the same money you bought it for, if you no longer need or want it. You probably wont get your money back on a new HF framing nailer. IMHO, Good Luck, Joe
                It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                  • Dec 2006
                  • hagerstown, md

hitachi framing guns have a very good reputation
                  パトリック
                  daiku woodworking
                  ^deshi^
                  neoshed

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Thanks for the replies guys! i checked CL and did not find any in my area, which is not surprising. I was not even considering the higher priced models. A Griz @ a C-note was as much as I was willing to spend. I considered the HF one but could not afford to take the chance on a defective one and the inconvience of having to send it back. If that happened I'd have to do the project that I'm buying it for by hammer! Paid work, so there is somewhat of a timetable for completion. I may post pics of that when I'm done. I'll do a small review of my Grizz after using it. Here is the one I ordered.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• lkazista
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Nazareth, PA, USA.

For anyone else interested in the porter cable, I just got a recon from toolkings.com for $135 with free delivery. Regulary like $155 on the website I think, but they list them on eBay all the time for $135.

Just a FYI.

Lee

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I have Bostitch N88RH-2MCN. Uses 21 deg plastic collated, full round head. I bought it for $180. It has a framing tip with teeth, a plastic no-mar tip, and a metal connector pin with a guiding pin for precise nail placement. Conversion from regular framing to attaching metal strap/joist hangers etc takes only about 5 seconds - press a button, slide off one tip, slide in another.

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

I've used a Paslode quite a few times. When new, it worked great, but after a little while, it began jamming quite often. It was a long way from being worn out. Don't forget to let us know how the Grizzly works for you.

I've also used the Bostitch, but it was a roofing nailer. I liked it better than the more expensive models.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...