• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

10" Saw Blade Comparison Chart

Over the past couple of years, I've been a little preoccupied trying out and getting familiar with various saw blades. Below is a chart that tracks some crude ratings, opinions, facts, and comments about 30 various blades. It started out as just my way of tracking which blades I've tried, but maybe it'll be useful or interesting to a few of you.

Disclaimer and Explanations:
    This is by no means intended to be a scientific or comprehensive blade review. It's just some guy playing with saw blades in his garage on an average saw tuned by an amateur, and documenting some comments on an Excel spreadsheet. Some of the ratings are just opinion and some are subject to the variability of my mood or the moon alignment . There are undoubtedly flaws in my evaluation method as well as my approach to the documention. Note that most of the blades are all really good performers that I'd expect very good results from, regardless of where they fell in the ranking.

There are complications when trying to compare any blades, especially when comparing general purpsose (GP)/combo blades to specialized rip, crosscut, or plywood blades....the specialized blades rate poorly in the "versatility" category...they tend to do a super job at their strength but have a narrow "sweet spot". Price was not included as a direct value in the rating...it's listed mainly as a convenient reference... However price is a consideration in the subjective "value" rating which was factored in the "total" ranking...some blades were available at steep closeout discounts and subsequently got high marks for "value" that inflated their "total" rating. "Carbide thickness" was also a small consideration, although it doesn't impact the cut, it increases the "value" rating because they allow more resharpenings - ie: the Ridge Carbide has huge teeth and scored higher than the WWII as a result...but I consider their cutting performance to be comparable. The chart is sorted by "total", but could have just as easily been sorted by "performance".

Read the categories and comments before drawing conclusions, and feel free to ask specific questions to find out how or why I determined a particular ranking. Sorry if this an eye test!

I've only kept maybe 10 of these blades and I'll list them below. The reasons for keeping a blade is somewhat random and not always indicative of it's performance. I can't keep them all! I would have loved to keep the DW3218TK and the Gold Medal, but a friend needed them in a pinch and both those blades fit the bill for him on the cheap. My WWII is an excellent versatile performer that was a gift from a good friend.... I consider it my mainstay, but I also reach for the Freud LU88R010 very frequently and find that blade to also be a steller versatile performer that happens to retail at a great price. The LU88 was one of the true surprises of my tests. The Ridge Carbide is impressive also...easily WWII caliber. Because of it's larger teeth, if I were buying an $80 general purpose blade today, I'd likely pick the TS2000 (available in TK or full kerf). I also use the DW7124TK or Leitz/Irwin 24T TK rippers for heavy stock or bulk ripping. I still have an 80T crosscut blade but almost never need it. If you're looking for the lowest cost bang for the buck, check into the Freud LU86 or Tenry RS25540. If you're looking for best overall performance at a reasonable cost, look into the LU88 if you use TK's. If you're a full kerf user, the DW7657 is a darn tough value to beat at ~ $50. The Leitz/Irwin deals are a terrific value for mid-highend performance, but are an increasingly limited supply. I tend to favor good quality 3/32" thin kerf blades on my saws for the faster feedrate and lower strain on the motor. I've never had an issue with deflection on this caliber of blade. Some of you will prefer full kerfs for your own reasons, and if you've got a full 3hp cab saw, there's less reason to consider TK's. There may have been other blades that I tried but couldn't remember and/or forgot to enter it in the spreadsheet.

My current blade roster:
    WWII
    LU88
    DW7124TK
    LU86
    Leitz/Irwin 24T TK ripper
    Leitz Pro 80T crosscut
    Tenryu RS25550
    Tenryu RS25540
    Delta Industrial 10T (made by Leitz)
    3 skanky bottom dweller bludgeon-blades
    my dado set is a DW7670
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

Nice job. It is going in my WW notes right now. Looks like we have plenty of good blades to choose from. No need to have a crappy one. Thanks for putting this out for us all.
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

That's quite a bit of information. Thanks for the post.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
        Over the past couple of years, I've been a little preoccupied trying out and getting familiar with various saw blades.
        Ya, I would say so! LOL!

However, you have done a great job quantifying the performance and value of the blades. This is a great chart and should likely be placed in the articles forum for future reference.

Great job! Thanks!

Comment

• JSCOOK
          • Sep 2006
          • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Also explains why Dustmight always seem to have a 10" blade posted for sale too
          Last edited by JSCOOK; 12-05-2006, 01:31 PM.
          "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

DM,
            How did you measure hardness and sharpness - totally subjective or were there actual measurements with instruments going on?
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Thanks Scott for taking the time and effort it took to put together that chart. Everyone should print out your chart and keep for future reference.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by JSCOOK
                Also explains why Dustmight always seem to have a 10" blade posted for sale too
                True dat! "...one for you, one for me.....one for you, two for me...."
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  DM,
                  How did you measure hardness and sharpness - totally subjective or were there actual measurements with instruments going on?
                  Hardness is easy...I gave a 1-4 scale based on the type carbide used...usually C-3 or C-4, which scored 3 and 4 respectively.

I have a carefully calibrated instrument for giving fool proof sharpness measurements.....NOT! Sharpness was alot more subjective and far more prone to variability, but in some cases I knew (or had at least heard rumor of) the grit that the teeth were sharpened to. In other cases it was just a matter of comparing the "feel" of similar style teeth. Blades like the Ridge Carbide and the WWII just feel sharper to me than say the LU86 or even the LU88, but things like the bevel angle can certainly play a factor.

Comment

Working...