My BS tire is walking!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • 2553
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

    #1

    My BS tire is walking!!

    No need to re-hash all the previous info - I read up on tires and plan the recommended replacement. Anyway, I just bought a recertified Ridgid and the top tire just won't stay in place. Previous posts say that this indicates a worn out tire ('tire-d' ?). Really?? Until Rockler gets a new shipment in what can I do so that I can use the saw in the meantime? Glue? Hmm, backordered until 9/14. I'm not sure I want to deal with cleaning up the dried glue. What do ya think? Is there and easy one or should I just wait the week or so?

    TIA,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • 4503
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

    #2
    You need some elephant slot, AKA "weatherstrip adhesive." Here is a link to an article on installing new tires:

    http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/FAQ/19...ndsawTires.pdf

    I used the information to reinstall existing tires on an Inca bandsaw. Basically, the key is to remove the existing tire, clean the wheel and tire (I used lacquer thinner), and then reinstall with the weatherstrip adhesive. I used Permatex brand as my local auto shop didn't carry the 3M line. However, I called Permatex and verified that it was the same stuff as 3M. By the way, don't use the black adhesive, as it hardens more when cured.

    The way I looked at it, a new tire would eventually strech out and have to be glued, too. Might as well try gluing the existing tires to get some practice. Haven't had a need to install the new tires I have sitting in a box, the existing tires are holding up perfectly.

    In fact, before gluing them, the bandsaw vibrated quite a bit. After glue, the nickel test is easily passed.

    Give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

    Thanks,
    Phil

    P.S. Before you order any poly tires, you should read some of the comments at www.owwm.com about them. Lots of complaints from users that have trouble crowning them, and getting them to stretch enough to get them on their wheels. Some people say they stretch and still require glue shortly after installing them. For some users that seem to do the trick. But they aren't a universal fix.

    Comment

    • ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • 2553
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

      #3
      Geez, I don't know whether to thank you or offer you a good deal on a bandsaw - I didn't know thgat owning these things was this complicated. One thing for sure, the existing tires are poorly made with a lot of variation in thickness and a weld that would make good weatherstripping.
      Thanks,
      Chiz
      Blessings,
      Chiz

      Comment

      Working...