Jointer & Planner Purchase - Griz Sale

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • 3822
    • York, PA, USA.
    • 22124

    #1

    Jointer & Planner Purchase - Griz Sale

    I am going to Griz sale Saturday. I am going to buy a jointer and planner.

    I am thinking 8" with spiral index cutterhead and 15" planer.

    Should I go 20" on planner?

    Is 8" enough on the jointer or should I go 12". I could go 12" but there are considerations such as weight, mobility, 1 phase service only. Do you guys find that 8" is enough?

    I am planning on doing this right, but as inexpensively as possiable (cause I am just like that).

    Any specific models I should consider? Let it all flow out. I'll appreciate and read it all.

    Thanks
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 3152
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

    #2
    If I had the money to do it

    I'd go with either the z series 8 inch or any of the spiral jointers over 10 inches (the cabinet and lifters look so much easier to work with)

    and the Spiral 15 inch planer.

    But I don't think you'll find anyone on here that has actually used a 12 inch jointer.

    Oh, and add in the widest drum sander I could ever plan on using.
    Last edited by Russianwolf; 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

    If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

    Comment

    • onedash
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2005
      • 1013
      • Maryland
      • Craftsman 22124

      #3
      i might be able to justify an 8" jointer someday and maybe even a little bigger planer than my dewalt 12 1/2" but unless i go into business or win a lottery the odds of getting anything bigger is pretty slim...for my kitcken table a monster planer would have been AWSOME. They have one on base that is about 4-5 feet wide and they charge 25 cents a foot. THe motor on the side looks like it could power one **** of a hybrid car. but it didnt seem worth the trouble of lugging it in to use it. And I love the idea of the spiral carbide cutter heads. Im sure they will more than pay for the upgrade with the blades having 4 edges and you can easily replace or turn any that get a nick instead of a whole set of blades....
      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

      Comment

      • Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • 3822
        • York, PA, USA.
        • 22124

        #4
        I have to say that if you are in a decent driving range of the Griz tent sales and need to make a major purchase (or several smaller) this is an excellent event. I really thought that the prices at Grizzly were already so low that there would not be a lot of discounting. I was wrong. There were some excellent values, particularly in the free standing floor tools such as TS, Jointers, BS.
        I ended up buying a used G500 8" jointer for $275 + tax. It was in perfect condition, the tables were flat (used a straight edge that was there and feelers I had brought) and the only issue was the missing cutter head which was great for me considering I really wanted a spiral index head. Wilke Machinery is local to me and has agreed to let me borrow a Byrd cutter to see if it will fit as the G500 is not a listed compatible model. The cutter will of course cost more than the machine!
        I did not pick up a planner as I did not have room in my Expedition. There were ok deals on floor 15" and 20" planners. I will either go back in Sept to get the planner or pick up the 15" Yorkcraft at Wilke.
        Thanks to all that responded to my questions on the jointers and again try to make on of these sales if you can.

        Comment

        • LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • 6693
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
          I ended up buying a used G500 8" jointer for $275 + tax. It was in perfect condition
          Well, in that case, allow me to be the first to point out that
          YOU SUCK!!!



          Larry

          Comment

          • Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • 3822
            • York, PA, USA.
            • 22124

            #6
            Originally posted by LarryG
            Well, in that case, allow me to be the first to point out that
            YOU SUCK!!!



            Well it was in perfect condition except for the fence and beds that I can not get to 90 degrees. I checked flatness of the beds but not square to the fence. There seems to be some sort of twisting in the frame that holds the beds together or something. They reluctantly are taking it back. Oh, well back to the drawing board. I think it is going to be the Yorkcraft 8" and the 15" planer.

            Comment

            Working...