Shooting boards are awesome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • 2507
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

    #1

    Shooting boards are awesome!

    So simple, and yet they really put a smile on your face the first time you use one. (OK, part of that smile probably comes from the LV low angle jack. )

    When you need to tune a cross cut or a miter, you really can't beat it:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Shooting Board.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	788704


    Click image for larger version

Name:	Miter2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	788705


    Click image for larger version

Name:	Miter1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	788706


    On the next version, I think I'll swap the 1/4" and the 3/4" mdf -- why waste ~1/2" of blade?

    Regards,
    Tom
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • 4055
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

    #2
    Mines not as pretty as yours, but I do like it. I need
    to make the 45 degree and angled setup that you've got
    going on. Those are great.

    Paul

    Comment

    • DaveW
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • 415
      • So Cal.

      #3
      Question from the ignorant:

      How does a shooting board work - wouldn't the plane chew off a bit off the shooting board with each pass? (sorry if it's totally obvious - I have very little hand-planing experience)

      Comment

      • Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • 2507
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

        #4
        Originally posted by DaveW
        Question from the ignorant:

        How does a shooting board work - wouldn't the plane chew off a bit off the shooting board with each pass? (sorry if it's totally obvious - I have very little hand-planing experience)
        That's the first question that went through my mind when I first saw one of these...

        There's ~1/4" or so of plane sole on each side of the blade where no cutting takes place. This portion of uncut shooting board edge is what keeps the plane in its place.

        Regards,
        Tom

        Comment

        Working...