• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Table Saw Nickel Test?

On a number of threads about table saws I see a reference to the "nickel test." Can someone please tell me what the nickel test is? Thanks.
    Richard
    Richard
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

From what I have gathered,standing a nickel on its edge when table saw is running and said nickel not moving and or falling over. A general test of how much vibration the saw is generating.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• bhornberger
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Webster Groves, Mo, USA.
      • Craftsman 22104

Short Answer - stand a nickel on edge when starting the saw and see if it stays standing.

I've heard that some saws have so little vibration that one coudl stand a dime on edge.

Brent

Comment

• RickT
        Established Member
        • Jun 2003

The "nickel test" is placing a nickel on it's edge on the saw table top and starting the saw. If the nickel stays on its edge without falling over, the saw passes the "nickel test." A nickel stays put while I start and stop my BT3100.
        Rick

Comment

• silverfox
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Richland Center WI, USA.
          • BT3100

Some disbelievers say that the aluminum BT3 has a lot of vibration because it's so light. They have, obviously, not used a BT3. It will pass the nickel test. Many heavier cast iron saws will not.
          Mike

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

quote:Originally posted by silverfox

Some disbelievers say that the aluminum BT3 has a lot of vibration because it's so light. They have, obviously, not used a BT3. It will pass the nickel test. Many heavier cast iron saws will not.
            Mike
            I tried this on an old Rockwell table saw that had collected dust for 40 years. The nickel kept falling down so I stuck the edge in a lump of modeling clay.... [)]

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I did the dime test on my BT3100. It passed, with flying colors.

Well actually I didn't have a dime, so I stuck two nickels together with double-stick tape.

But they didn't fall over, and that's what counts, right? [)]
              Larry

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

My Ridgid TS3612 passed with no problems.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks, one and all for your answers. I think that I will try it on my saw now if I can find a nickel lying around after my latest tool purchase. (Nickels are coming harder and harder to find as my garage gets more and more crowded.)
                  Richard
                  Richard

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

quote:Originally posted by phrog

On a number of threads about table saws I see a reference to the "nickel test." Can someone please tell me what the nickel test is? Thanks.
                    Richard
                    Truly a good question! Until I figured it out, I had visions of someone dropping a nickel onto the blade to see how far it would fling it?
                    While I suppose it is some indicator of vibration control, I suspect it as more of the kind of smoke & mirror sales tactics I would expect from a salesman in an ugly plaid jacket.
                    (note I make my living in sales and don`t wear plaid).
                    Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The problem with the nickel test is the variability in the edges of the nickels. It's not an incredibly scientific test but is fun to demonstrate.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

Ok guys, what did i do wrong.

I set a nickel on my saw and started it, knocked the nickel over with the smt, it hit the blade and i only could find a quarter on the floor.

Just kidding... [}]

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Never tried the nickel test, but also never bothered by vibration from my saw either.
                          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phrog
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2005
                            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I never realized that one simple question could elicit so many humorous responses. Thanks again to everyone.
                            Richard
                            Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I used to have one of those cheapo direct drive Craftsman 10" saws.
                              It was a horrible saw but I did practice good work habits with it.
                              I always secured it to the work table with two or three clamps.
                              I always kept all tools and loose stuff off the top of the saw because if I ran the saw with them on, they would all be on the floor in 30 seconds or less.

Now with the BT3, I've become real bad and leave all manner of scales, digital calipers, marking devices, cutoffs, finished and upcoming workpieces, clamps, etc. on the saw table when I'm working. They just seem to stay there.

I've never actually run the nickel test with the BT3000. I'm sure it would pass. On the other hand I never ran it with the old saw either, but If I had, I'm sure I'd still be looking for the nickel.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...