How to Jump to the First Unread Post in a Thread?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duramen
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2022

How to Jump to the First Unread Post in a Thread?

The "Recent Posts" link shows me which threads contain unread posts. Most forums do that. I can click on the bold threads to see recent posts.

Is there a link or button that jumps directly to the first unread post in a thread?
    I am used to jumping to the first unread post, then scrolling down if there are additional posts that follow, until I reach the "last post" that thread. (The "last post" is the end of the thread until someone adds another reply or comment.)

The "Latest Activity" shows posts in a non-thread format, in reverse order. That is not very useful to me. I have not found anything else that makes it easy to read updates to threads without extra effort.

The lack of an easy way to jump to unread posts in a given thread seems like a serious omission to me. I must be missing something obvious.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmm. The recent posts link gives me a list chronologically of the most recent posts. Click on it and it takes me to the lastest unread post.

What OS / Browser are you working with?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• duramen
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2022

Originally posted by dbhost
      Hmmm. The recent posts link gives me a list chronologically of the most recent posts. Click on it and it takes me to the lastest unread post.

What OS / Browser are you working with?
      macOS with Safari, several versions back. There were strong reasons to maintain the older version, but I will be upgrading to the latest OS and browser in the next couple months.

When I click on Recent Posts, I see a list of threads in reverse chronological order. The threads that have unread posts appear in bold.

If I click on the thread, it takes me to the original post in that thread. If the thread uses multiple pages, that is page 1. I must manually enter the last page to see it.

P.S. I just discovered the ">>" link on the right side of the thread listing in Recent Posts. That link takes you to the last post in the listed thread, not the first unread post.

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

In the list with boldface post titles, click on the round meatball to the left of the title - with the doubled down-arrows. That takes me to the first unread post on my Firefox/Winblows computers and on my Android tablet.

mpc
        Last edited by mpc; 02-02-2022, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Click image for larger version  Name:	last item.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	848025

The little double arrow icon (circled in red) will take you to the last (latest) reply in the thread.

Works on Chrome/desktop and also on Android phone. The latter is a bit small for my fingertip, but works.

I have my browser favorites button to take me to the recent posts page when I select Sawdustzone.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-02-2022, 02:38 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• d_meister
            Established Member
            • Feb 2009
            • La Conner, WA.
            • BT3000

I use the double-down arrow to the left of the title on both my desktop and phone to get to the first unread by me. Works as long as I'm automatically logged in. It's a little touchy on the phone, given dexterity and finger size issues, so I start by enlarging the screen view to make stabs at the double-down icon a little more accurate.
            All of the other forums I follow automatically log me in and the thread title takes me to the first new-to-me post. but I figure there's a cost to everything (forum software?), so I adjust myself to the reality.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Click image for larger version Name:	last item.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	848025

The little double arrow icon (circled in red) will take you to the last (latest) reply in the thread.

I have my browser favorites button to take me to the recent posts page when I select Sawdustzone.
              ^^ This. However that is on Chrome / Windows 10.

Never paid attention on Android...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                LCHIEN commented
                Editing a comment
                Its on my android, too.
            • duramen
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2022

Originally posted by d_meister
              I use the double-down arrow to the left of the title on both my desktop and phone to get to the first unread by me. Works as long as I'm automatically logged in. It's a little touchy on the phone, given dexterity and finger size issues, so I start by enlarging the screen view to make stabs at the double-down icon a little more accurate.
              All of the other forums I follow automatically log me in and the thread title takes me to the first new-to-me post. but I figure there's a cost to everything (forum software?), so I adjust myself to the reality.
              This is the answer. I did not notice the double-down icon to the left of the bolded thread titles. It is small and easily overlooked, but works just as it should in my browser.

That saves me a lot of time and trouble. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Here's the nerd answer.

When I set up the menus, I didn't fully understand the differences in the various settings and so the "Recent Posts" menu item should really be called the "Recent Topics"

What difference does that make you ask? The "Recent Posts" is actually a list of Topics with recent activity so when you click on the title it is takes you to the topic. "New Posts" is a list of posts within a topic sinc so when you click on the title, it takes you to the specific post as do the arrow buttons mentioned above.

Clicking on the arrows in the rectangle in the last post column will take you to the most recent post in that thread. You may then have to back up a few posts to find the most recent unread post.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 1.26.21 PM.png
Views:	235
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	848039

Clicking on the arrows in the circle will take you to the oldest unread post. You will only see this if you are logged in since your read history is tied to your user id. Note that all posts more than 30 days old are considered read.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 1.26.33 PM.png
Views:	205
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	848040
                Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I take it that you jjust enabled that. Never seen it before but it works now.
                  Thanks, Chr's.
              Working...