• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

PM How does it work?

I clicked on CWSmith's name and sent him a PM. Then later, I went to my "Message Center" and could not find a copy of the message that I sent to him.

This reminds me of a post I made about a year ago in which someone sent me a PM and I replied. Later I could not find a copy of that PM.

AS to CWSmith, I decided to see what happens If I send another PM. When I clicked on his name to send a PM, there was a copy of the PM I sent. It is in HIS box, but not mine. Is there something I need to do so that when I send a PM to someone by clicking on their name - that I too would get a copy of my PM to them?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I think you are looking at the Inbox, which comes up by default.

On the left of the screen, you should be able to click on the 'sent' link to see all the messages you have sent.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by radhak
      I think you are looking at the Inbox, which comes up by default.

On the left of the screen, you should be able to click on the 'sent' link to see all the messages you have sent.
      That is what is puzzling to me. The one to CWS is not in MY "inbox" but when I click on his "Name" to send him another PM, I see it there, but not in MY inbox.

About a year ago, I posted this thread:
      https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...jigsaw-bounces

A few days later I got a PM from a lady who did a google search for why her Ryobi jigsaw "bounced" and found that thread. She thanked me. I replied to her that I was glad I could help her.
      BUT that PM did NOT show up in my Sent box or InBox of saved, only like a "message" that is gone as soon as it is sent or read once. There is NO record of that. It was gone a soon as I sent it. And I had no record of her sending me one either.

NOT all of my PMs go to Sent box. That is why I am asking. Not all of PMs to me go into my Inbox either. I have been sent a few PMs that after I read them, they are gone!

Thanks
      Last edited by leehljp; 04-28-2020, 06:13 PM.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by leehljp

That is what is puzzling to me. The one to CWS is not in MY "inbox" but when I click on his "Name" to send him another PM, I see it there, but not in MY inbox.

About a year ago, I posted this thread:
        https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...jigsaw-bounces

A few days later I got a PM from a lady who did a google search for why her Ryobi jigsaw "bounced" and found that thread. She thanked me. I replied to her that I was glad I could help her.
        BUT that PM did NOT show up in my Sent box or InBox of saved, only like a "message" that is gone as soon as it is sent or read once. There is NO record of that. It was gone a soon as I sent it. And I had no record of her sending me one either.

NOT all of my PMs go to Sent box. That is why I am asking. Not all of PMs to me go into my Inbox either. I have been sent a few PMs that after I read them, they are gone!

Thanks
        This is definitely new. I send so few PMs that I won't even remember if some don't show up on the sent folder.

I should test this by sending a few and checking.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I think I know what I am doing. It was not real clear but I did see when I answered CWSmith that I "think" I saw "visitors" PM. But to begin the PM to CWSmith, I clicked on his name and wrote in the message that pops up when I clicked on his name.. But somewhere in there I saw "visitor"s PM.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Ok, I see the problem:

There are three types of messages:
            a. When you click on the Messages link on the top right of any screen, that's like an email

b. when I click your name, a message dialogue opens up, which seems to be a 'public' message, but when I sent you something, it does not show up in the inbox of my 'emails'
            This seems to be public, because I can see an earlier conversation you had with CWSmith. It felt a bit odd reading that, because I don't think you meant it to be a public message.

c. At this same spot, there's a button 'Private Message' which allows me to send you a message that just disappeared and I can't see it again
            - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by radhak
              Ok, I see the problem:

There are three types of messages:
              a. When you click on the Messages link on the top right of any screen, that's like an email

b. when I click your name, a message dialogue opens up, which seems to be a 'public' message, but when I sent you something, it does not show up in the inbox of my 'emails'
              This seems to be public, because I can see an earlier conversation you had with CWSmith. It felt a bit odd reading that, because I don't think you meant it to be a public message.

c. At this same spot, there's a button 'Private Message' which allows me to send you a message that just disappeared and I can't see it again
              AH, you explained it well. For some reason I did not notice or use the top right "message". I am a creature of bad habit. On OTHER forums, I click on the name of the one I want to send a PM to and it opens to a message and sends like I think the top right "message" does here. BUT on this forum, clicking on the name takes you/me the "visitor"s message. All records are on His site, not mine.

Now I know what to do. THANKS.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Am I understanding this correctly? If you want any reference or reminder of what your message said you should only use the Message link on the top right of any screen? Does this message send and recieve as a typical email or is still imbedded in this forum and only accessible by opening up the message feature?

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Well, yes-and-no: the link at the top right does function somewhat like emails (with an inbox, sent, archive and other folders), but is still only part of this forum.

When you click on a user name, you see all messages you sent that user, but looks more like in a text messaging app on your phone.
                  The only tricky thing with this is, you also see messages between that user and other user (which you were not part of) too! That I suspect, is the 'Visitor Message' button.

There's also a Private Message button, which hopefully won't show for third-party users (ie, not the sender/receiver).

So bottom-line, there still seems to be some way or the other of seeing all your older messages, but the difference between them is not intuitive.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

Working...