Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Sawdustzone on Facebook?

Stumbled across this tonight:

Group is for members of BT3Central.com as well as the new SawDustZone.com woodworking forum.

It appears to have been created while I was away from the forum for a few years. And it doesn't look like it's active anymore. Anyone know anything about it? Could having a FB presence help us gain new membership?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I wasn't on FB back then; Even now, I go there only about once every couple of week at the most. Drives my family and friends crazy. I tell them, if you want me - email, text or call.

To me, FB isn't much different than Google: we aren't the customer, we are their product!
    Last edited by leehljp; 01-22-2017, 09:53 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Also not a FB user, and I don't get why some people are. I was helping some at a function when I heard a head LEO talk about having issues with undercover officers having FB accounts and using them. We had a local LEO who was retiring get time off before it happened, due to commenting on an active case, and I have friends and family who only communicate that way, which is bad for multiple reasons, including a relative being a stalking victim.
      There are things I don't talk about here, why would I want something that links me to people who could be harmed?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

We started it a while back. I think Mark did.... Anyway I try to steer clear of it. My Facebook time is in clear violation of the Religion and Politics rules here... I kind of don't want the two mixed up.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
          We started it a while back. I think Mark did.... Anyway I try to steer clear of it. My Facebook time is in clear violation of the Religion and Politics rules here... I kind of don't want the two mixed up.
          Heh. Seems to be everywhere on FB lately.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I'm pretty much off Facebook anymore. It's just such a time waste. Our robotics organization has a pretty good presence on FB, so I do check into that fairly often.
            Joe

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

The world is full of brilliant people with answers to every problem. It's too bad they are just too darn busy updating facebook, tweeting, and commenting on internet news articles to put that genius to good use.
              Brian

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

NOT on FB either. Seems a waste and I figure I'm not that important to anyone enough to post all my happenings. I think my son feels I'm too old fashioned..... "Gee Dad, if you want to know what's going on with the family you need to get on Facebook!"

Duh, how about just picking up the phone and having a conversation once in awhile?

It seems that people don't do a lot of verbal conversation anymore.... even when GenX visits, they're on their phones, thumbing away.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
                  NOT on FB either. Seems a waste and I figure I'm not that important to anyone enough to post all my happenings. I think my son feels I'm too old
                  It seems that people don't do a lot of verbal conversation anymore.... even when GenX visits, they're on their phones, thumbing away.
                  GenX? lol that's my generation and we're in our 40s and 50s. It's all about the millennials now who are in their 20s and 30s

I'm apparently an oddball here... I do enjoy FB. Yes it's definitely a time waster but then how many here watch hours of TV a day? Or take naps? It's all about what you prioritize... FB helps me connect with old friends that I wouldn't have any contact with otherwise.

-Tim

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Yes Sir, that would be right about where my son falls... born in 1969, and he and his wife, as well as their cousins, and most all of their friends are constantly on Facebook. The two grandsons fall in the Gen Z category I guess, one will soon be 21 (April) and the other 18 (March). They are not so much on Facebook, as they are on other social media through their phones.

I just read an article last week that said that Gen X are far more prone to be on FB than Millennials though. Personally, I don't know beyond my own experiences. Sit in the
                    Dr.'s Office, and almost everybody is on their smart phones just keeping in touch.

"Generation" definitions seem to be fairly loose though. For example, the Millennials seem to be between the mid-90s or to 2000, while the Gen Z are somewhere between mid-90's or starting at 2000 and still proceeding here in 2017? For me, I guess I'm undefined, being born in 1944. The Silent generation is from 1925 to 1941 and the Babyboomers don't start until 1946. I do consider myself more as a "Silent" than as a "Boomer" though.

CWS

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

I never really hear "Gen Z" used anymore and always assumed that the term "Millennials" just replaced it.

On paper I'm a Gen X (born in 1970... I could have been in your son's class) but never identified with most of what that supposedly stood for as I had older parents and was essentially raised as a late boomer, in a tiny town that didn't have cable until I was in college so I totally missed out on the MTV experience which supposedly defines my generation (although I'm very much an 80s music fan). I hated 90s grunge music and the "slacker" label.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Not sure what the GenX and MTV thing stood for either. But man, do I remember him almost locked in his room... his Mother and I would practically have to punish him to the outside

We bought him an Atari 800 system when he was a bit younger and I remember him bringing it down to the kitchen where he sat it on the counter in order to use the modem. We lived in Painted Post then and had only one phone in the kitchen. He called some place called Illinois Audio and with the phone handset sitting in the acoustic-coupled modem (300 baud) he used the Atari to order his first stereo system. (A Technics receiver and a turntable). Once he got that, he'd hardly ever come out of his room unless it would go to school or his afternoon paper route. Then came MTV (not sure what year that was. He had the computer, the stereo, and his own TV and later phone. He was the first in the village to get a computer and I remember many of his friends jokingly requesting that we adopt them. He still keeps in touch with all of them....mostly on FB, though they do get together a couple times a year.

CWS

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

Heh my dad used to give me a hard time about how much time I spent on the computer as well (Apple //e in my case). But I did spent a good amount of time outside also... and I he was proud of me in the end when I made a career out of it. He passed away suddenly when I was 26 so I didn't get to have too many "adult" years with him unfortunately.

Ah memories!

Comment

• cwsmith
                            cwsmith commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Very sorry to hear about your Dad passing so early in your life. Jason and I have a great relationship, although we don't always agree. But that's how he was raised, to be his own man. He's recently moved to Iowa for a new job and I miss seeing him as much as we used to.

I'm sure your Dad is very proud of you and your success. These are tough times almost everywhere and if you've succeeded at what you do, it's only because of hard work and perseverance..... too traits that any father would be proud to have in their son or daughter.

CWS
                        • atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I used to live vicariously through my wife's FB account but joined 5 years ago. I have family all over the world and stay connected with FB. Most times the FB messenger app works better than Skype and it's just easier for my parents to use to see the grandkids. I have also been able to reconnect with people I'd lost touch with.

Comment

Working...