Shop Layout version 2,937,284 or No Shop is ever complete.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Shop Layout version 2,937,284 or No Shop is ever complete.

Sometimes I feel like I spend as much time working on my shop as I do working in my shop. I often tease my wife that if she buys some new knick knack, everything in the house needs to be moved to accommodate adding it into the decor. The same is true with my shop. Last year I added a foldable outfeed table to my tablesaw, and it has created a problem. With the outfeed table where it is, I can't get sheet goods in or out of the plywood rack without folding down the table and I still need to shove the tablesaw back a bit.

The old Layout

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Layout.png
Views:	271
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	854664

A couple of other issues identified while using the shop in the last year are:
    • I had to build a 9' panel for the end of the bookcases in my office and there isn't enough room to run a 9' piece of stock through the router table where it is.
    • The tool cabinet blocks one of the doors to the shop so it needs to move when I carry anything big in or out of the shop.
    • The bandsaw and jointer are stored on a 5' x 2'3" workbench wasting valuable horizontal space where I could be piling other crap, plus it doesn't really fit under the lumber rack very well and it all has to be moved to get at anything on the upper racks.
    • The ShopSmith tables hang off the back of the Accessory cabinet so it needs to be moved to get at the tables.
    • Since the plywood rack is stationary, it is difficult to clean the window and curtains behind it. (I'll admit, that one may just prove I'm nuts)
    • I need to move the planer to get at the ShopSmith that has the drum sander mounted on it.
    The new layout to be implemented on Saturday.

Name:	New Layout 2023-04.png
Views:	202
Size:	588.8 KB
ID:	854665

This new layout should resolve all the issues except access to the ShopSmith tables which will be less irritating, but not ideal.
    I'll also lose about a foot of infeed space for the tablesaw bringing it to 12' from 13', but so far, I haven't needed even that much.
    I'll probably also need to move the ShopSmith out of the way to use the STM1800, but the STM is only used for breaking down sheet goods and is usually folded up and stored under one of the MFT's

In addition to rearranging, I moved the bandsaw and jointer to an old cart I built to install wall ovens ... or more accurately a one double wall oven, once, five years ago.
    I'll need to replace the wheels on the ShopSmith storage cabinet to lower it about 3/4" so it can be used as an infeed or outfeed for the router table.

I can't wait to see what new problems I'll be creating with this latest revision.
    Chr's
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Seems like a long walk to the tool chest if you need a wrench, screwdriver, Allen wrench, pliers etc.
    I would think a more central location would be useful. It appears that you put it there because it fit and it was out of the way...

OTOH I just have a 7/16th open end comb wrench and phillips#2 screwdriver near about every major tools and Allen keys of the size needed for adjustments on that tool.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-30-2023, 01:06 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
      twistsol commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a really good point. I just ran down to the shop to see where outlets are since I need to have power to a router on the Schmitt32 and my shop computer sits on the tool chest. I'm going to move the tool chest to the other end of the plywood rack and slide the plywood rack a couple of feet to the left.

I do keep the tools necessary for the router table in a drawer in the table and the tablesaw tools and accessories are in drawers in the workbench within easy reach.

• Black walnut

Black walnut
      commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a small (shallow top chest) near my metal lathe and mill/drill with metric wrenches. Each of those also has a set of metric hex keys and open end wrenches specific to the machine. I keep screwdrivers for the tablesaw and table router in my saw station. Plus my large tool chest on one end of the shop with all of this and more no more than 25 feet away. I enjoy the satisfaction of completion of a project as much as the process of doing so I can justify tool redundancy for the sake of productivity at each machine in my shop. In other words I agree with Loring's assessment about a long walk to the tools.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Is the trash can in the upper left part of the dust collection?
    If its not a more central location seems to be in order.
    I don't see another trash can and I know mine is right next to the workbench, I'm always tossing wrappings, packaging, cutoffs, sawdust sweepings, and trash.
    Is the CT33 a shopvac? I think so. If not I don't see one and I have one near the center of my shop for cleanup.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

The trash can by the dust collector is the one I take outside to empty the collector barrel into when I take the sawdust to the compost site. There is another trash can at the left end of the table saw, and I have a cutoff bin that is usually at the neighbor's house because they take the scraps to burn. I usually just pile off cuts by the door and carry them over to their burn pile.

Yes, the CT33 is an old Festool vac. For cleanup I use the wall mounted Ridgid vac that has a 50' hose on a reel. It is right below the air filter and the hose reaches up the stairs and into the weight room There are actually four shop vacs in my shop. Wall mounted Ridgid for cleanup, CT33 for the ShopSmith, track saw, and line drilling, another CT33 with an overhead boom for the MFT tables used with bench tools, and a CT15 (Festool s' s cheapest vac) under the miter saw. The Festool vacs all have outlets on them that trigger the vac when the tool is powered on.
      Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002

The deed is done. I made a few more changes to the layout as I was doing it.
        • It turns out the cart with the jointer and bandsaw fits perfectly between the dust collector and the shop vac on the wall. I just need to be careful not to snag the catch bag at the bottom of the DC filter
        • The tool cabinet at the other end of the plywood rack makes more sense and has the added advantage of giving more space in front of the plywood rack making it easier to get stuff in and out.
        • I rotated the SS accessory cabinet 90 degrees so I didn't need to move the table saw.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 6.45.05 PM.png
Views:	197
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	854687

Name:	SS BS Jointer.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	854688
        Chr's

Comment