• Show
Clear All
  • nicer20
    Established Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Dublin, CA
    • BT3100

Flip Top tool cart

[Taking inspiration & also some good advice from dbhost (Flip top tool stand Forum finished. - The SawdustZone)]

Getting started (or at least starting to collect material) to build the flip top tool cart.

I am planning to mount my Ryobi router table on one side and the 4X36 belt sander on the other side. The Ryobi router table is rather big, So I am planning a 24" X 33" flip top to accommodate the Router table.

The Sander is rather smaller in footprint so I am thinking of sharing that side of the table with my Kreg 720 Pro pocket hole jig.

Also, thinking of using mostly material I have lying around in the workshop. So instead of using a long threaded rod a couple of choices for the pivot pins for the top are 34 mm wooden dowel or 15 mm thick aluminum bolts/rods. Which do you think is stronger? Guess it comes down to the shear strength.

Additionally neither of them is long enough to be used through the entire top. But I
    believe a thorough rod may not be necessary. What say?

I am seeking any advice, suggestions, ideas. As usual, thanks in advance for all you folks willing to share your wisdom.

​​​​​​​Nicer G.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

What would you like to know? I'll chime in where I can. Mostly keep your cuts accurate, and the lumber straight... All should be well.

My 2nd one went together better. WHere did I change in the process?

1. Cut the lap joints on the table saw instead of the band saw which had an awful excuse of a fence. HOWEVER, given my newer Kreg fence and the results I am getting cutting wiht the bandsaw using that fence now are MUCH better, well, no problem doing that...
    2. Use as little as you can of metal hardware. My first one used screws that got in the way of other screws. I had to reposition my casters on the first one.
    3. The clear urethane casters from Harbor Freight are WELL worth it. Super smooth rolling and affordable.
    4. Using carriage bolts good. IF you can source them up, eye bolts would be easier to grasp. Don't bother going fancy, just be 100% certain your centers are drilled accurately and your locking pins will work perfectly.
    Last edited by dbhost; 06-10-2022, 11:07 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

For the pins I would take a 3/8"x 3" dowel and a 3/4" x 3/4" dowel
      Drill a 3/8" deep 3/8" hole in the center of the 3/4" dowel and glue the 3/8" dowel into it making a pin.
      CHamfer the exposed end of the 3/8"
      Maybe put a hole and pull loop through the big end to help remove it.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• nicer20
        Established Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Dublin, CA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        For the pins I would take a 3/8"x 3" dowel and a 3/4" x 3/4" dowel
        Drill a 3/8" deep 3/8" hole in the center of the 3/4" dowel and glue the 3/8" dowel into it making a pin.
        CHamfer the exposed end of the 3/8"
        Maybe put a hole and pull loop through the big end to help remove it.
        Is this for the pivoting pins around which the table rotates or the pins that lock the table once flipped? I think you are talking about the later. Right?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          The pins that lock the table in position once flipped to the desired side.

• nicer20
          nicer20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great. Thanks - will try this instead of the eyebolts.
      • atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I used a solid metal rod (3/8", I think) that spanned the whole width. I decided against a threaded rod because I didn't want the threads gouging the hole they passed through. I also figured with the two ends of the rod captured, the sides couldn't splay out.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          I had considered and would have preferred smooth rod for just the reason listed, however the threaded rod really isn't spinning / grinding against the material all that hard or often. And smooth rod was not to be found near me when I did my builds...
      • Jshack01
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2020
        • Pittsburgh, PA
        • Ryobi BT3000

My most recent flip table has my lunch-box style thickness planer and my table top size PC jointer, and I used pieces of PVC as the pivots.

Comment

• nicer20
          Established Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Dublin, CA
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Jshack01
          My most recent flip table has my lunch-box style thickness planer and my table top size PC jointer, and I used pieces of PVC as the pivots.
          Wow !!

PVC can handle that kind of load - amazing !!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
            commented
            Editing a comment
            FWIW, on my build. I used 1/2" SCH 40 PVC as a bushing for the rotating assembly. I used threaded rod because it is what I had on hand, HOWEVER, i may source up some 1/2" smooth rod and those hammer on caps like they use to hold on trash can wheels. I am not spinng the thing like a fidget spinner so it will probably take my lifetime then some to wear out the bushing with threaded rod, but why take the rsik?

I would not use PVC as the sole load bearing member, just as a bushing...

• nicer20
            nicer20 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I am not comfortable using just the PVC as sole load bearing either.
        Working...