X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbhost
    replied
    Originally posted by tbyji2
    I hear you on the worrying over the direction, but for some reason all the filters I can think of have always had a direction they were supposed to be installed.. Inline fuel filters, furnace filters, etc. Not saying it matters, just thinking out loud. Mounting wouldn't be a problem for me regardless, but its a good thought when it comes to time savings.
    Fuel finters have a flow direction because they *should* have a one way check valve in them to keep fuel flowing back to the tank / pump. Furnace filters have a directional on them because the supporting material for the filter is usually on the back side of the direction of flow to keep the filter media from getting sucked in. These filters the filter media tends to be quite stiff,and honestly does not really need a lot of reinforcement.

Mind you, I like the Donaldson, IF you can get them at a good price. Don't worry about flow direction. The real concern is gasketing to the DC, and mounting to the DC.

Leave a comment:

• tbyji2
    replied
    I hear you on the worrying over the direction, but for some reason all the filters I can think of have always had a direction they were supposed to be installed.. Inline fuel filters, furnace filters, etc. Not saying it matters, just thinking out loud. Mounting wouldn't be a problem for me regardless, but its a good thought when it comes to time savings.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Looking at the Donaldson filter, and mind you the media itself does not care what direction the air is moving, it's just a semi permeable barrier. The difference is going to be reinforcing mesh that keeps the pleats in place, and to my knowledge, just like the Wynn 35(A,B,C whatever) filters, the Donaldson P18038 I believe the item is, has reinforcing mesh both inside and outside, so directionality isn't going to be a problem. If you look at the photos of the Donladson you can clearly SEE the reinforcing mesh on the outside so it will be supported against the direction of force / air flow coming form inside the DC to the outside...

This is a lot of worry over nothing.

Having said that, the Donaldson does NOT come with any sort of mounting hardware for a dust collector. You will need to figure something out, and may end up at Wyn nfor their specialty hardware anyway. You may find the cost difference when the final bill is tallied up to not be worth the hassle of chasing parts down... Of course YMMV.

Oh another issue is going to be shipping costs on the filters. The cheapest filter seller I could see on that Donaldson filter also charges nearly $85.00 on basic shipping...

Not saying don't do the Donaldson, just if you are going with the Donaldson, make sure it makes sense compared to the tried and proven Wynn...
    Last edited by dbhost; 01-13-2022, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tbyji2
    started a topic HF Dust Collector Filter upgrade

HF Dust Collector Filter upgrade

Hi all-

New to the forum, but have read many threads.

The subject of upgrades to the HF collector has been discussed for years. What I've been chewing on is the Wynn vs Donaldson filter upgrade. The Donaldson seems to be liked by most that have installed it, but there is always someone who brings up the point that the filters are meant to be pulled through (outside in) filtration.

My thoughts are, if there is substance to that idea, why not have the exhaust side of a blower push into a barrel that has the Donaldson (or any equivalent) filter inside with the exhaust of the barrel coming through what would be the intake of the filter.

Not sure if that makes sense, but a thought I was having that I figured I would bounce off you all.
Working...