Has anyone built a shop / shed from recycled pallets?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Has anyone built a shop / shed from recycled pallets?

So with lumber prices doing what they are doing, and my budget doing what it has done, I need to keep costs down on my shed / shop build. I had been saving for a Tough Shed 12x16, but life happened.

I have seen a few cabin builds using lumber from stripped down pallets. I have access to a good number of sizeable pallets, and I have the pallet breaker tool that allows me to disassemble a pallet without knocking my brains out, or destroying the wood...

Anyway, just curious what I need to watch out for. I know to keep from needing HOA approval, and / or a building permit, I will need to stay under 200sq / ft, so the 12x16 is ideal, and I need to stay under 9' max height.

The biggest question I have is how do I connect to electricity if the building is a "Temporary shed".

IF I can pull it off, I am thinking insulated walls and ceiling / roof, with some peg board wall coverings. And an 8-12K BTU AC / Heater.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Finding some interesting builds on youtube...

That simple slant roof would make for a much easier build / less material cost...

Seriously considering spending the $$ for plywood floor, and epoxy coating the floor and foundation lumber.

On and hurricane straps / anchors (BIG dog run type corkscrews and steel cables) are a MUST have where I am...

Plan on interior finish is likely to end up being pegboard over R19.

Need to get info on how to get power to it.

HVAC plan is 18K BTU mini split heat pump.

Roof decking to be coated in radiant barrier paint, OR radiant barrier / foil decking if I end up having to buy decking..

I will want a roof extension as I mentioned, providing covered area for outdoor wood storage, AND weather protected, animal protected space for the dust collector, and air compressor. I.E. fenced box with roof so dog can't pee on it...

There are lots of considerations, but the pallets are being collected, and hopefully I will be able to get a truck load of pea gravel in here in December. Between gravel, sand, and soil, I am figuring I should be able to level and compact a proper pad while avoiding the utilities easements.
    Last edited by dbhost; 11-17-2021, 05:42 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

18k btu mini-split? How big is the shop going to be, and how tall is the pile of pallets?

At my old work we use to get quite a bit of machinery on big pallets, lots were completely boxed in, like 18-20 ft long. One worker wanted the wood so we set the crate in the yard for him to tear down after hours. I don’t know how many apartments the used the wood on but he built a number of them during the time I knew him.

There should be no reason not to use the pallet wood to build a shop, if you are trying to stay under the radar with the build don’t forget about termite protection. They love them some oak close to the ground!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
        18k btu mini-split? How big is the shop going to be, and how tall is the pile of pallets?

At my old work we use to get quite a bit of machinery on big pallets, lots were completely boxed in, like 18-20 ft long. One worker wanted the wood so we set the crate in the yard for him to tear down after hours. I don’t know how many apartments the used the wood on but he built a number of them during the time I knew him.

There should be no reason not to use the pallet wood to build a shop, if you are trying to stay under the radar with the build don’t forget about termite protection. They love them some oak close to the ground!
        That is WRONG I am not sure why I was thinking that. Sorry...

The shop will be 12x16, or 192 sq/ft, with an average ceiling height of 7ft, so looking at the BTU calculators, they say I should use a 5K BTU unit.

That is literally $150.00 window AC and small oil filled radiator for heating and cooling territory... However no real attic space, so it will have to be beneatht he decking, radiant barrier, insulation, and then ceiling. So perhaps an 8K BTU unit might be a better idea?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Buy a good metal detector. One missed nail can cost you a blade that costs a lot more than the metal detector. Not to mention the cusswords that ensue.
          I still have to repair my jointer from a hidden nail in reclaimed pallet wood. Dinged all three cutters a 1/4th in wide.

I moved the fence over and for now its a 3-1/2" jointer instead of a 6" jointer.
          Not looking forward to jointer alignment... I had it just right before.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-23-2021, 08:12 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Buy a good metal detector. One missed nail can cost you a blade that costs a lot more than the metal detector. Not to mention the cusswords that ensue.
            I still have to repair my jointer from a hidden nail in reclaimed pallet wood.
            Yeah, I saw that. I have a small one kind of like a stud sensor, AND one of those security metal detector wands like they use for security screening.

Comment

Working...