Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Do I have too many drill bits?

Here is my drill bit drawer.
    Doesn't include the 115 pc set on top of the cabinet and the 7-piece brad bit set that is always on a tray next to the drill press and the boxes of forstners on the shelf above the tool chest.
    The top drawer has a bunch of loose specialty bits, marking and measuring tools and some small bit sets and some countersink and VIX sets.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I don’t think you have too any. Where is the box of loose bits that need sharpening?

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have to buy those packs of small bits (1/8" and smaller) because those are the ones I break often and are difficult to sharpen. I have several packs of those. I have a nearly 20 year old Drill Doctor 750 and it keeps my bits sharp.

I also have:
      2 sets of the 115 bits - 1 TiN, and one Cobalt.
      5 sets of HF 29 bit set: 3 TiN regular, 1 TiN 118°, 1 Cobalt
      1 set of Five 1ft? long bits
      2 sets of Metric bits.
      NUMEROUS Pen making bits

I have 4 sets of the 29 bit set as they are my general use GoTo bits. I keep 1 in my travel tool box; 1 for use when people want to borrow or use one or two of my bits here; 1 as a backup, Plus the other two speciality ones. The 3 sets of regular TiN were all purchased when HF had sales and they were $9.99, which now they are $12.99 or 14.99 I think.

I use my cobalt when drilling steel or iron, and sometimes the TiN 118° split point. There are times when I use the 115 bit set for pen making or for special size and special fit. I keep a laminated multi-page chart of drill bit size in a note book and refer to it often for precision sizing.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Lee, FWIW, I have an entire drawer in my old Craftsman mechnaics tool roll around box that is nothing but misc drill bits, taps, and dies from when I used to manage a hardware store that got shut down. This was the leftover junk that never went anywhere, and I just don't have the heart to get rid of it... I REALLY need to purge this junk
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Loring, I'd be happy to store some of your extra bits for you…
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• windyn123
            Handtools only
            • May 2022

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Here is my drill bit drawer.wordle online
            Doesn't include the 115 pc set on top of the cabinet and the 7-piece brad bit set that is always on a tray next to the drill press and the boxes of forstners on the shelf above the tool chest.
            The top drawer has a bunch of loose specialty bits, marking and measuring tools and some small bit sets and some countersink and VIX sets.

I think that's not too much. actually i have more than you Lmao

Comment

Working...