• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Triple remote control/Voice control shop devices Wifi Home Automation

I was lucky to have found this three channel wireless remote control. Comes with three remote controlled outlets and one controls Hangs between my router table and table saw.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280165.JPG Views:	63 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	842496
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-01-2021, 04:17 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have a double one . . . some . . . where!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

For 120v items that aren't very high powered, we used to use one of these before we put everything on home automation switches. I've been really thinking about moving the DC to one, but would have to home-build it as I can't find a 240v 30a wifi switch. But it would be awesome to tell my watch to turn the DC on and off.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

You know I have several lights in the house on wifi voice command through Google home and Alexa both.
      It hadn't occured to me that I could put a Alexa and three AC remote switch modules.
      My DC is on a relay that's controlled by the remote.

So I could very easily switch to voice activated garage shop lights, DC, air compressor, . I wonder how good my wifi is out there?
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-29-2021, 05:38 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've got Homepods in both garage/shops, so I can just talk, and always wear the watch. So yeah, I should look into more automation with that, a good wifi switch is under $20. Right now I have the lights and two fans automated. I have a 12v wifi switch sitting here to also be able to turn on the garage door opener lights, which feed the LEDs hanging on the garage door. This gives me light with the door open, which is 95% of the time.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I took a smart wifi plug socket and spare amazon kindle (does alexa) out to the garage and it works fine, even voice commands when the dust collector is running (loudest noise maker).
          This will let me control the lights from the house if I left them on. in fact with the room control I can turn off everything from my bed at night if I forget with one command.
          I'm on it.
          These voice activated stuff are pretty good at picking up and decoding voices even when the background noise is high... radios on etc.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-30-2021, 12:29 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Turning on and off the lights or dust collector remotely is of no interest to me. Being able to turn off the compressor without going to the basement when it cycles in the middle of the night might just be the winning argument for dipping my toes further into home automation.
            Chr's

Comment

• Dedpedal
              Established Member
              • Feb 2020
              • Palm Coast Florida
              • One BT3000 in use and one for parts. Plus a BT3100

I have a 3 channel remote for my led lights. I use one channel for my shop lights and the other two for leds in the house and on the lanai. I got two from harbor freight thinking that I could use one set in my shop and the other in the house but they both use the same frequency so I get one channel. I wouldn’t hook up any tool to it but it’s great for lights since I power it from the plug for my garage door opener.

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Originally posted by twistsol
                Turning on and off the lights or dust collector remotely is of no interest to me. Being able to turn off the compressor without going to the basement when it cycles in the middle of the night might just be the winning argument for dipping my toes further into home automation.
                Yeah, you could easily set up a rule to have it powered only during day hours, or whatever you want. I keep mine on all the time, after finding the various small leaks, it never cycles on its own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I did it. A four pack of remote wifi plugs and my garage shop is now on remote control lights, shop vac for dust on the miter saw, dust collector on the table saw, lights and air compressor. Took me an hour and a half late last night to program four devices, label them, name them, assign them to groups and add to Google Home and Alexa, and test. About ten minutes to install this morning.
                  I put the lights and the air compressor on a group called Garage so I can turn off both or turn them on from the house before going out or going to bed. I include the vacuum and dust collector to a separate Shop group because I don't want to accidentally command them with the lights from the house, but command them individually when needed.

The WIFI remote plugs are rated for 10 Amps resistive. The compressor and the dust collector are on my relay boxes with 30 A relays. https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...ay-booster-box

The air cleaner is on a mechanical spring timer, I'll turn it on for 4 or 6 hours at the beginning and leave it on.
                  Drill press and bandsaw share another tool powered switch for their shop vac.

Works! Kindle responds to voice control even while the dust collector is running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2010185.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	842625

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2010185.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	842613 Click image for larger version  Name:	P2010186.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.7 KB ID:	842614
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-01-2021, 04:51 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Still working well. I ordered a wall smart switch for the other overhead lights

I note you can also buy high power smart plugs... rated for 15 A motor and heavy appliance loads, I think. If you don't have relays.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't need to operate the DC and Vacuum from the house, but want to turn them on by voice when I'm lining up the table saw just before I turn it on. The Remote switches shown in the first post hung right by the table saw. Now I can control lights and Air compressor from the house If I decide to shut down for the night, but I can also control the vacuum, DC and air compressor and light from within the shop when I find I need them on without moving away from the tools.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-07-2022, 01:41 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Update:

Bought last years Amazon Echo Show 5 (Alexa enabled) for $35.

Works better in the shop than the Amazon Fire tablet I was using to run Alexa.. Voice recognition is better, esp. when vac or DC is running and want to turn it off. Better yet, when you turn stuff on it leaves a touch screen way to turn it off if you can't yell over the machine.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	PB240498.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	846332

Finally, it gives me a voice controlled timer for the branding iron and other time-delay processes and I can order up music to my hearts content as well as do math and conversions by voice command. Its pretty handy.

What I need is an easy app for a wifi switch to say "Alexa, run the air cleaner for four hours" or even "Alexa turn off the air cleaner in four hours" if I manually turn it on.
                        I know I can do a schedule but looking for an easy way to do a delayed off.

P.S. I just tried that with my Google Home *Hey Google turn of (name of device here) in 5 minutes" and it works. I shall have to try that with Alexa.

PPS I tried it with Alexa and it just shut off the light immediately instead of in 5 minutes... very disappointing, Amazon!
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-24-2021, 10:54 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another update:

I have switched to a Google Nest Hub (5" screen) for $55. instead of the Amazon Alexa display. It will be repurposed elsewhere.
                          The three tipping points were
                          • I replaced the 0-12 Hour timer on the overhead air filter/cleaner with a wifi outlet. Alexa could turn it on and off but Google Nest accepts the command like "Turn on the air filter for four hours" and it happily does as expected. The Alexa would not do that.
                          • The Google Nest is better at picking out voice commands when the vacuum, dust collector or air compressor are running without shouting.
                          • Alexa doesn't discriminate between commands to the air filter vs. Air compressor. Google does.
                          The down side is I haven't figured out how to make the Nest play my amazon music but there are other options and of course the old fashioned radio/DC boom box on the wall.

I would have done this back at Thanksgiving but I have had a running battle with Google customer service. I bought a Nest Hub on Black Friday from Google Store for $$50. It was defective, restarting every 2-3 minutes and that took a while to prove to the CS agent so they asked me to return it and they would send me a new unit. I asked the three times, you are going to send me a replacement right? and they said yes. When I sent it in they issued me a $50 credit. Well crap, the price was back to $100. So I went around with them for 2-1/2 months where All I asked was that they sell me one for $50 but they kept claiming they refunded me $100 and they said we'll look into it and I finally gave up and found one for $60. But Google Customer service is CRAP.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-05-2022, 05:04 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                            Established Member
                            • Jul 2020
                            • Midwest
                            • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Does the IFTTT website offer any hope/automation of the things you are trying to accomplish?
                            Harumpf!
                            GrumpyDad

Comment

Working...