• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Task light

I bought one of these and just ordered another to replace some task lighting on individual tools.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	task light.JPG Views:	0 Size:	71.0 KB ID:	841143

It is nice and bright and it has no wall wart which I like and a magnetic base. Very reasonably priced.
    Its intended for sewing machines but I see in the user comments lots of people using for shop tools.
    I have one on the top of my router table fence and I just ordered one for my bandsaw.
    These as bright or brighter and much less obtrusive than the ones they replace. and won't get in the way so much.
    If you need some task lighting and yours is 10 years old LED or incandescent, you might take a look at them.

I just attached a mending plate to to the top of my wood fence to mount this light, easy to take off if its in the way.
    The goose neck is only 12" and I wish it was a little longer but It works OK. Some come with a base-sized steel disk to attach to machinery to which the light can then stick.

Get one for router table, drill press, lathe, bandsaw, jig saw,
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-13-2021, 03:05 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Reminds me of my DNA sequencing days 20+ years ago. We'd pour these gels (think a thin sheet of clear Jello but toxic) between thin glass plates 18" long x 12" wide. A thin comb would be inserted at the top of the gel while it was still liquid and then removed when the gel had cured. This left pockets in the gel where we'd inject the samples with syringes and then high voltage would be applied to cause the DNA to run across the gel and then be detected by lasers and a detector 18" away.

The challenge was there was poor contrast between the gel (clear) and the sample (also clear) for us technicians to see even with our young 20 year old eyes. The ceiling lights weren't especially bright and they were high up.

Our PI bought these super bright incandescent task lights with a flexible goose neck and very strong magnetic base like the one you show above. Except back then they cost him several hundred dollars each.

DNA sequencing is no longer done like that and our project which took over 5 years to complete can now be accomplished in a weekend many times over.

It's amazing how quickly things have progressed.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Loring, thanks for the post, I could use those in my shop, so I'll look into that.

atgcpaul,

Interesting addition and I enjoyed the read. No idea really of "DNA sequencing", but the process that you described was interesting. When I started my career as an illustrator, the equipment and process was age-old with drawing boards, pencils, ink, vellum, film photography and a fairly vast amount of equipment; likewise, was being in on the ground floor of data processing and computers. To think how much technology has advanced is almost magical. We've lived through some exciting times.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

If $16 each not bargain enough they are now offering two for $16.(7-1/2 inch gooseneck a bit shorter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._wg=mm5uv&th=1

Singles in gray not black are $9.99

https://www.amazon.com/JANSANE-Light...AWZV90R3PB709X

Longer 12" gooseneck version $20.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-02-2020, 03:40 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I have 3 of the grey sewing machine lights on my band saw. They add enough light to the existing overhead shop light to eliminate shadows at the blade. A very nice addition to equipment that needs point of use light.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have an inexpensive digital light meter that measures light falling on a point in LUX, the unit of light illuminance.
            I decided to do a light survey of my tool work surfaces. Some of them have two task lights, the second one is the gooseneck LEDs described earlier in this thread.
            I think I have sufficient light on my most intense handheld working areas - drill press, bandsaw and router table.
            The lesser light areas, are mostly fence-guided tools and I am satisfied having the light I do (around 500 lux for the table saw and jointer)..
            By way of comparison the light on my kitchen worksurfaces is about 150 lux.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jpeg image of shop survey table.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	841943

Click image for larger version  Name:	task lighting levels.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	841927

My light meter, from eBay a few years back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040011.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	841928
            Attached Files
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-04-2021, 01:03 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

An interesting observation/thought
              Sometimes we debate worksurfaces.
              30 inches or 38 or other.
              MY thinking is that a higher worksurface gets more light
              Consider:
              Fixed light source hung 1 foot below 8' ceiling = 84 inches.
              Bench A 38 inches high is 46 inches from the light
              Bench B 30 inches high.is 54 inches from the light.
              Light falls off as the square of the distance
              So bench A get light in the proportion of 1/(46/54)^2 = 1,37 times as bright

Of course, you could just lower the light 8 inches. But you could do that in either case.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Having a basement shop can have its advantages. The 17 780 lumen daylight LED lights that illuminate my 12'x22' shop are 88" from the floor. The work surfaces vary from 38" to 40" from the floor. SWMBO claims it looks like the Vegas strip in there, but I can things so much better than the old shop
                Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-07-2021, 06:28 PM.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• twistsol
                  twistsol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jim, on your ipad or iphone go to settings --> General --> Keyboard and turn off the option for smart punctuation. the site pukes on Apple's curly quotes
              • Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Twiststol: Thanks. the latest iOS updates hosed several settings. There have been other settings that have been driving me nuts. I have enough trouble keeping track of W10 stuff let alone Apple's.
                Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-07-2021, 06:29 PM.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• twistsol
                  twistsol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sometimes I feel like companies have entire departments dedicated to making life difficult. I'm sure Delta airlines has an entire department dedicated to screwing up my travel schedules in new and interesting ways.
              • LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I keep adding light as I get older.
                I now have
                • 3 4-ft dual T8 fixtures (65W)
                • 4 4-ft LED fixtures (40W)
                • 1 Beyond Bright three wing screw in bulb 40W
                • 3 gooseneck LED task lights,
                • built in task light on Drill press
                • 40 Weq LED task light
                I think it totals a little less than 400 W. So it costs about 4 cents an hour to run.
                The Beyond Bright light in a ceiling socket in addition to the 4-ft LEDs and T8s raised my TS and miter saw lighting from about 500-600 to 900+ Lux.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-13-2021, 03:48 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...