This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrumpyDad
    replied
    Great Googly Moogly - I see a pile of Festools which can only mean you robbed the bank of England.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    I've made some progress but not a lot to see. All the outside walls are framed and insulation added where it wasn't in place already. Wiring is done except for the panel and the exhaust fans for the bathroom and the weight room. Plumbing is mostly done but the shower stall came in with the seat on the wrong side so it will be corrected and installed Monday. HVAC contractor is coming tomorrow to let me know if I can afford a mini split system for the shop and exercise room. Everything else for the new house has been over budget to the tune of $15K which was my entire shop budget.

Here are few pics

The exercise room that SWMBO insisted I put in the basement. Once I convinced her that 14x17 was plenty of space vs 20x17 that she wanted, I picked up an additional 100+ square feet for the shop so I'm at 773 square feet on the shop.

Weight room framed with equipment and TV

Here is the actual shop space. It looks like it went backwards from previous pics, but all the wiring and exterior wall framing is done so it is invisible progress.
    Shop in progress

This is what happens when the builder buries the shower drain under concrete. The plumber found it ... eventually.
    Holes in concrete floor looking for the shower drain

Finally the most exciting part for me since for the first time in my life, I won't need to go to another building to use the restroom. The bathroom plumbing
    Bathroom plumbing rough in

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    So, materials for the deck seem to be backordered/unavailable. Original delivery date was 7/22, then 8/17 and now 9/30. I started framing the basement for the shop, weight room, and bathroom last weekend. Finished that and wiring starts tonight.

capncarl The "crops" are part of Bailey Nursery but due to covid, they aren't allowing anyone but employees on the site. They look like lilacs but my binoculars aren't good enough for me to see the leaves. The pool gets drained for the winter and the liner is taken out. We had a neighbor when I was a kid that left their ingound pool filled over the winter and the subsequent ice cracked the sides. For the rest of my childhood if you wanted to use the pool in the summer, in the spring you had to help scrape out the old caulk and clean the cracks with a wire brush so Mr. Fritz could re-caulk the pool for another season.

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    Dang what a view!
    What row crop is planted across the street?
    how does above ground pools hold up to the low temps
    what gras sod did you plant?

Leave a comment:

• Carlos
    replied
    I'm sneezing just seeing all that green stuff.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    The last lawn of the neighborhood was installed on Friday at our house and I spent yesterday wet and muddy getting the sprinkler system adjusted. Now I can finally get the permit for the deck, and once that's done I can finally start on the new shop.

Last lawn of the neighborhood is installed

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    My shop teacher at a CC ran a cabinet shop full time out of his walk-out basement shop. His ceilings were definitely shorter than 8' but he made it work even having to use full sheets of plywood.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Originally posted by atgcpaul
    I've been wanting a walkout basement shop.

​​​
    ​How high are the ceilings in the basement shop? I'm surprised there's enough elevation to have a walkout basement.
    The ceilings are right at 8' so 7' 11 1/2" once the flooring gets installed. I plan on using a LVP everywhere in the basement. Unfortunately, the builder was required to sheetrock the ceiling, but I wan't about to pay $150 per fixture to have them put in the recessed lighting I want so it will all have to come down as step 1. We had to take down a few pieces within hours of closing on the house to run lines for the filtered water to the kitchen ... something else the builder wouldn't do. The good part of using a non-custom builder is that it saved about 100k vs the same plan from a custom builder so I'm still ahead having to make a few small changes myself. That bad part is that everything was picked off a menu and no substitutions.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Originally posted by Black walnut
    What are you using to cover walls ?
    I need to frame in front of the walls and and they'll be covered in sheetrock. I plan on using 7 sheets of slat wall in different places. throughout the shop.

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    I've been wanting a walkout basement shop.

​​​
    ​How high are the ceilings in the basement shop? I'm surprised there's enough elevation to have a walkout basement.

Leave a comment:

• Black walnut
    replied
    What are you using to cover walls ?

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Some of my tools have arrived from storage. The rest of them will be showing up today and tomorrow.Tools arriving from storage

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Had a chance to get in the house and poke around this afternoon. We have a closing date of May 15th and the builder is pretty sure there won't be any delays.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1898.jpeg
Views:	666
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	839126
    They're pretty close to finishing up the exterior. Still need to finish up the porch and the stone accents.

Name:	IMG_1899.jpeg
Views:	678
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	839125
    This will be the new shop space

Name:	IMG_1907.jpeg
Views:	512
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	839128
    My new office space ... which of course I'll be moving into about the same time I'm no longer working at home every day.

Name:	IMG_1902.jpeg
Views:	498
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	839127
    Finally, the coffee center.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    There's a floor plan of the house itself in the attached .pdf file along with the currently envisioned shop layout. Our idea was to downsize but only the lot got smaller. The three car garage is smaller in square footage than the 2 car garage at our last house but the 5-6 foot depth is simply a result of my truly stellar photo skills.

I've replaced my truck with a Volvo sedan that will fit in this garage and for a half acre lot I don't need any equipment other than a lawn mower and a snow blower so the tractor is gone as well.

On the house plan, my office will be in the formal dining room because really who needs that especially since neither my wife nor I can cook.

Planned Shop Layout
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• capncarl
    replied
    Is it an optical illusion or is the garage only 5-6 feet deep?
    photos? How about a floor plan?

Leave a comment:

Working...