• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, I have two 60Weq LEDs in the bare sockets of the original lighting circuit in the garage that also powers a few outlets These are always on when I'm in the shop and no major tools are on this circuit So I'll always have some lighting.
    The additional 6 or 7 four-foot shop lamps (now a mix of LED and fluorescents) are on another circuit.
    I installed a about 5 more circuits, all 120 V 20 A.
    • dust collector
    • air compressor
    • Table saw and other power tools (I figure I'm not using them at the same time)
    • Air cleaner
    • other tools
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-15-2020, 09:44 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by twistsol

Finally the most exciting part for me since for the first time in my life, I won't need to go to another building to use the restroom. The bathroom plumbing
      So essential! My last shop was a detached 2 car garage, and while it was a nice space, the back and forth to the house--not just for the bathroom--was the biggest pain especially if you really needed to go but it was raining outside and the shoes would have to come off first, etc. The house we bought now has a large attached 2 car garage and when you step into the house, the powder room is right there and the kitchen just a few feet further.

Speaking of electrical, what's your plan for running electrical to your equipment in the middle of the room? Overhead drops or cords on the floor?

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        Speaking of electrical, what's your plan for running electrical to your equipment in the middle of the room? Overhead drops or cords on the floor?
        I thought about adding power for overhead drops, but since we will eventually sell this house, (sooner rather than later if the MN politicians don't get their crap together) I decided against it. It's also why I put the outlets at the normal 12" from the floor rather than the 42" which would be preferable for a shop.

For the table saw and the ShopSmith, I run power through a 10 gauge extension cord zip tied to the dust collection piping. That gets added after the final inspections. The CT33 has power and dust collection on the boom for all things Festool. I'll run the cord for that across the floor in an industrial cord guard that can be driven over very similar to this one on Amazon. That leaves the workbench which doesn't see power tools very often, but when it does, a retractable cord reel will be attached to a nearby outlet.
        Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

Just passed the electrical rough in inspection. HVAC guy is coming to install the mini split system on the 29th and then I'm ready for the next round of inspections.
          Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Passed framing and HVAC inspections today and put all the insulation removed for wiring etc back where it belongs. On to sound insulation then sheetrock
            Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

A little bit of progress on the shop yesterday. I got half the ceiling in the shop sheetrocked after a few issues.I tried to find a drywaller that was available and the only one that had time this year quoted $11,000 ... basically 10x the cost of the drywall.
              • To start the morning, had to build a ramp to get sheetrock cart into basement
              • Then the sheetrock lift I rented had a weld fail and collapsed and destroyed the first piece I was putting up so back to the rental store.
              • My drywall cutout tool didn't have a guidepoint bit it and I didn't notice. I cut to the edge and right through the first light box. Trip to Menards to get the right bits.
              • First sheet finally up at 1:30 pm.
              Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002

Drywall was finished yesterday and the inspection passed today including the mildly insane requirement that screws be placed every 6". There has to be a story as to why the city requires that many screws. I finished hanging the drywall last week with screws at each edge and in the center of every stud and then spent the entire weekend filling in the field. Mudding and taping start tomorrow and no more inspections required until the final.

I also suffered a complete math failure and ended up with 19 extra 12' x 1/2" sheets. I realized when I was done that I calculated the walls for 8'sheets and ordered 12' sheets. Now I need to get the excess back to Menards.

New shop drywall complete and ready for taping.
                Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I think I recall reading this fastener schedule somewhere in IRC earthquake resistance building code.
                  At least you will know that your Sheetrock installation is pulled tightly against the studs and you shouldn’t be bothered with screws bulging out of the Sheetrock like “contractor grade” installations would.
                  Last edited by capncarl; 11-10-2020, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002

After almost three weeks finally ready for primer and paint.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2094.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	841497
                    Chr's

Comment

• jabe
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Hilo, Hawaii
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Exciting!!! House looks great, well thought out plan for your shop. My home is near completion too, just waiting for driveway pour but had to cancel the last 2 scheduled days cause of rain. Next date I got for the concrete is Jan 7, 2021. Every time you cancel your pour you get put back to the bottom of the list so that's another 2 week delay. Good luck to you.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Is that an optical illusion or has the floor sloped that much?

Comment

• twistsol
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by capncarl
                          Is that an optical illusion or has the floor sloped that much?
                          It is an optical illusion due to my stellar photography skills. The floor is level +-1/8 inch.

I have this week off so there may be some more progress.
                          Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002

Well, a couple of months after the last update and everything going sideways for a bit, I'm finally back to working on the shop. Finished priming, correcting flaws in the drywall and painting in early December. Then my wife ordered a Tonal fitness system and said it was going to be installed the first week of February so the fitness room had to be ready so ...

Stopped work on the shop and started working on the fitness room and the closet, bath, and hall since everything in the basement was now in the shop space anyway. Then Menard's sent me an email that they were having their last 11% rebate of the year, so I ordered doors, flooring, bathroom fixtures and piled all that in the shop.

Here's the fitness room finished except for trim on the window. I need a woodshop to build that.

Name:	IMG_2128.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	842605

I used an exterior door from the shop to the fitness room to keep sawdust from migrating in there as much as possible.

Name:	IMG_2126.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	842603

Finally, here's the shop space with actual lighting, mini split heat and a/c and ready for flooring. I decided to go with LVP, the same that's in the fitness room. My wife thought I was nuts when I dumped sawdust all over the dining room floor to see how slippery it was going to be. I just need to fill the expansion gap with a flexible filler before I start the the flooring and I'm ready to go.

Name:	IMG_2125.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	842604
                            Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002

I'll be calling for the final inspection tomorrow morning .

Then I can get started on setting up all the actual shop stuff.
                              Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2002

Finally unpacking the shop, but a long way to go. Got the slat wall installed and sheet goods rack built this weekend. I lowered the top of the sheet goods rack a bit so it will double as a work surface.

Name:	IMG_2188.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	843340

Name:	IMG_2186.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	843341 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2185.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	843342

Next projects in the shop are going to be cabinets under the slat wall for a miter station with 3.5 meter fences on either side and then getting the dust collection piping installed.
                                Chr's

Comment

Working...