• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Converting 4 ft shop light to LED...

Has anyone done it? Is it worth it or is it better to just get pre built LED shop lights?

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

There are apparently a number of options for doing this. I once found a web page that detailed all the options.
    Some of them involved replacing bulbs, some replacing wiring and some other modifications.w/ or w/o replacing ballasts
    Save today on LED tube lights at 1000Bulbs.com. Choose from direct wire or plug-and-play T8 Bulbs for easy installation. T5 and U-bend tubes also available.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/l...t8-t12-hybrid/ Still they are cheap. 7 to 10 bucks per tube.

With complete LED fixtures costing $20-30 bucks it hardly seems worth the trouble and the specialty parts you probably won't find much into the future to have replaceable lighting units... LEDs will all be completely disposable units.

Just my 2 cents.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I’ve been eplaced ever 4’’ bulb in my shop with LEDs, 16 two bulb fixtures. They were Lowes cheapy brand on close out. Regular about $8 per bulb on clearance for about $3 per bulb. If your fixtures have universal ballast (electonicj these are a direct swap. No wiring involved. 4 of my fixtures were T8 (1 1/2”) bulbs with the old brick ballast so I changed out the bsllast to universal ballast, about $20 ea. These were daylight bulbs replacing soft white or some milky glow, I think they were rated at 5000 lux. It made all the difference in the world. I could never get this much light out of the fluorescent bulbs. Most of these fluorescent bulbs were less than a year old, I just got tired of the dark, installed the LED and gave my buddy about 48 fluorescent bulbs I removed and my new spares.

Comment

Working...