• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

What Reference Charts?

What Reference charts do you have on the wall or quick access to in your shop that you use often?

I had a great drill bit reference chart when in Japan and have it on my computer. I brought my "laminator" home from the office yesterday and plan on laminating 5 pages of drill bit sizes. This chart uses fractions, decimal, mm by .1mm size, letter and numbered, with each listed in decimal size. Very handy in pen making along with other things.

I also have a Bowl Lathe Speed chart, thanks to Bill (in Buena Park).

After that lamination, and while I still have MY laminator at home, I want to print out and put up other reference charts for quick use.

What Reference Charts do you keep handy or on the wall that you use?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I keep am Inch/mm conversion chart handy with all the common cabinet part sizing for both English and metric. I converted to metric a few years ago but I still don't think in metric. My stubborn brain still thinks that I need a 30" cabinet, rather than I need a 768mm (nearest 32mm increment) cabinet.

I do have a Woodline speed chart sticker on my router table, but I don't think I've ever looked at it. Big bit slow, small bit fast I don't need a chart for that.
    Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I have a decimal equivalent chart and a drill press belt arrangement chart for my Ridgid DP 1550, both of which I drew myself. Then somewhere around here I have a Craftsman flip chart with several cardstock pages. I took it down to do some painting and afterwards couldn't find where I put it... but it's here somewhere!

I also have one of those Wood Magazine drill press speed and screw charts. If I can find the time I'm going to redraw that too... it's just too small to read as is.

Other than those, I keep several reference books around, like the Machinery's Handbook, but that's another story.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

LOML saw me laminating about 12 pages today (for my shop) and suddenly I had half a dozen other things to laminate!

I have a two part shop. The main part was an screened in side room to a large storage building. The screened in is 10 by 18, the storage room (with Air Conditioner) is about 16 X 18. The flooring has been bad and it has taken me almost a year to pull up the old flooring down to the joists. I had to do one half, move stuff around to the finished side and then finish the other side.
        With that done, I am ready to get my tools set in place: 2 lathes, DeWalt Scroll Saw, Drum Sander and assorted table top tools - vertical Drum Sander, Grizzly (Tormek like) sharpener, etc.

With these, charts for different things come in handy. I had several charts on the wall in my Japan shop and am looking forward to having my referenced resources back on the walls over the places where I work.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I have a decimal <-> fractional chart that I did a number of years ago in Excel (broken down to 64ths, with the 1/8" increments in bold). Very handy when using a digital calipers... still prefer it to my newer caliper that supposedly displays "fractions" but isn't very accurate at it.

Also have a screw drilling chart from Wood Magazine... shows pilot, shank, counterbore, etc sizes for a variety of screw sizes.

My DP has the belt arrangement chart built into the inside of the cover.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by tfischer
            My DP has the belt arrangement chart built into the inside of the cover.

Yep, mine too, that's why I redrew it as a wall chart. On the Ridgid DP, you flip the top up from the front and it tips back... at that angle and location it hard for me to see the belt position/speed chart. It's much better hanging on the wall. I only use it for drilling wood, so I didn't bother with the materials data as the Wood Magazine chart has that data, or the Machinery's Handbook.

CWS

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

About the only reference chart I use is that Wood Magazine drill press speed chart.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Ever receive that screw/misc chart that wood magazine puts out? I like to keep a thread gauge by that as kind of a quick reference and my goal is the build the stand for all the misc screws/nuts/etc. under it.
                I would like the top to be large enough for a copy of Desk Ref (tired of the pocket one, too small) and the Machinery's handbook, laid open.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • BT3100

If anyone has electronic versions of some of these charts, I think it would be good to post them here. Unfortunately the two I referenced I don't have electronically and they're pretty securely taped to the wall so they would be hard to scan. I suppose I could take a pic of them and see how well I can clean it up...

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Good idea.... here is a PDF of my decimal and my DP speed/belt charts. With the Decimal chart there are two pages, first is a smaller sized print (four on one page), which is handy when I'm drawing/dimensioning on the computer and there's a full page-sized for placing on the wall.

Hope this is helpful to anyone,

CWS

Decimal and DP Belt Chart.pdf

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

I will gather mine up today and post the ones that are not already here.
                      Here is a link to Wood Magazine's Free woodworking charts:
                      Hank Lee

Comment

• bmyers
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Fishkill, NY
                        • bt 3100

Could be a chart but instead, it's a ruler. I keep this next to the square and other layout tools.

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

"Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Bill posted this chart some months ago concerning Lathe Speed in accordance to bowl diameter:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowl lathe speed.jpg Views:	1 Size:	251.7 KB ID:	830398

Here are some links and charts that I have gathered to one post, including bmyers above:

Links:

Phi or Golden Triangle Rules:
                          http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43513,57625

Wood Magazine Wood Working Charts, including glue
                          http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...working-charts

Segment calculator
                          http://www.woodturnersresource.com/e...alc/index.html

I found these on a page in a folder on my computer. Some may not work. Find the one that works for you.

This table is the chart for converting and identifying various drill bit sizes.

http://www.imperialsupplies.com/pdf/...DrillChart.pdf

Machinist Drill Bit Size Chart - ANSI inch Size Drill Chart and ISO Metric Drill Size Chart | Engineers Edge

https://drillsandcutters.com/drill-s...version-chart/

http://www.fingerlakeswoodturners.co...it%20CHART.pdf

Bolt and Screws:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ype-chart.aspx

Free Bolt Size Charts - Screw Charts - Nut Size Charts - All Charts are downloadable and printable pdf formats - Great Online Mechanics Tools for Metric and US

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...s/Default.aspx

Threads and torque charts:

ANSI/ ASME EXTERNAL Screw Thread Size Chart. All units are in inches. Unified Screw Threads per. ANSI/ASME B1.1-1989 (R2001), R2001) Nomenclature, are used. Acceptability criteria are described in ANSI/ASME B1.3M-1992 (R2001).

Joinery:

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/w...ineryterms.htm

Attached Files
                          Hank Lee

Comment

• tfischer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2003
                            • BT3100

LOL now I need to build more walls to hold all the cards

Thanks for all the links guys, some good ones there.

Comment

Working...