• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I will follow up on my experience as well. I mentioned above that I had purchased a portable unit and at that time wasn't sure how well it would cool down my garage. After doing a few tests running hoses out the door, I bit the bullet and installed some vent holes in the wall. While the unit is pretty undersized for my garage, it does definitely help... I have it situated so the cool air blows across where I am typically standing while doing woodworking. Plus it seems to drop humidity down pretty quickly which makes things much more comfortable.

As a side benefit that I wasn't expecting, the heat mode also works pretty well, especially on mild days. When it gets really cold here in MN I have to fire up my noisy, stinky Reddy Heater, but if it's in the 30s or especially the 40s, I can flip this unit on heat mode and it makes things comfortable. I also put it on when using the larger heater and it keeps that unit from cycling as much once things get up to temperature.

As another side benefit, we have a pop-up camper which has no AC. If we go camping on an electric site when it's particularly hot/humid out I can bring this unit along.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer
      I will follow up on my experience as well. I mentioned above that I had purchased a portable unit and at that time wasn't sure how well it would cool down my garage. After doing a few tests running hoses out the door, I bit the bullet and installed some vent holes in the wall. While the unit is pretty undersized for my garage, it does definitely help... I have it situated so the cool air blows across where I am typically standing while doing woodworking. Plus it seems to drop humidity down pretty quickly which makes things much more comfortable.

As a side benefit that I wasn't expecting, the heat mode also works pretty well, especially on mild days. When it gets really cold here in MN I have to fire up my noisy, stinky Reddy Heater, but if it's in the 30s or especially the 40s, I can flip this unit on heat mode and it makes things comfortable. I also put it on when using the larger heater and it keeps that unit from cycling as much once things get up to temperature.

As another side benefit, we have a pop-up camper which has no AC. If we go camping on an electric site when it's particularly hot/humid out I can bring this unit along.

I know in the case of mine, I have to "help" the AC along by using fans in my garage workshop. It will drop the temps, but it takes a while, and like I said, I must run fans or it will only cool less than half of the garage, and usually not where I am working...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Fans make cooling and heating more effective, in nearly every case. I use them judiciously in my home office, in our travel trailer (particularly for heat), and in the shop for both heat and swamp cooling. Oh yeah, I found a neat wall-mount fan that works great for the shop. It's up high out of the way on useless wall space behind the lathe. Put a remote on it with Homekit support, and it's part of the power-up routine when I say, "Hey Siri, it's shop time."

Comment

Working...