Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	829469

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Any idea why the collection drum is in a trash bag?
      Why is there a clamp in front of the filter clean out port?

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
        Any idea why the collection drum is in a trash bag?
        Why is there a clamp in front of the filter clean out port?
        My guess for the trash bag is to conduct a leak check. If there's leaks below the cyclone the bag will get sucked in.

I've got no guess on the clean out port.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

A lot of the 75db noise is coming from the enormous amount of air being pulled into the piping at each piece of equipment.
          Our lab is undergoing a major renovation. My half is staying the same but the other half is getting converted from lab space to office space. The guy in charge of the renovation comes around after a wall is erected between the two spaces to tell me I'm going to need to do something about the noise from a vacuum pump in my lab because the new big wig's office is going to be on the other side of the wall. Yes, the pump is loud but I didn't tell him to put his office there. I asked why they can't insulate the wall and his response was that it wasn't in the budget. OK, so replace a $3000 pump or buy a $2000 enclosure or go pay for some more insulation? Well, again, he didn't see the logic.

Anyway, I have nothing against the new guy and because my people have to work around this pump when it gets moved to its final location, I contact the vendor, and since it's on service contract, they replace it with a quieter pump. Win-win. This was 3 or 4 months ago. Fast forward to yesterday and the office space is done but not ready to move in yet. After the contractors leave for the day, I sneak over to see if the pump is audible through the wall. Nope, can't hear the pump, but the air rushing through the ducts sounds like a jet getting ready for takeoff.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Leak Check?.......Exactly. I questioned the debris that continuously spun around inside fhe cyclone. All the forum research i read discussing this the "experts" said was caused by vacuum leaks below fhe cyclone in fhe trash drum. Mine always has debris spinning around and to see if it was caused by a trash can leak i bagged the whole thing. No leaks, and stuff still spins, so the experts need fo find another reason for fhis.

Now, why is the clamp on fhe dust filter clean out?

capncarl

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

My wife still asks me why i spent so much money on a clear machine and then build a closet around it? Good question.

capncarl
              Wow, thanks for the comprehensive post! I appreciate the detail on how much each change impacted the sound level.

Yes, I'm having the same thoughts about enclosing my ClearVue - it won't be visible when I'm done insulating the sound.

From my research on the ClearVue forum, I noted that the cyclone is rather noisy. I still was stunned at how noisy it really was - I definitely will need to wear ear protection when it is running!

Because of the noise comments I saw prior to building the cyclone, I built a stand so that the cyclone is not attached to the house, but is sitting on my concrete floor. I didn't want to couple the low-frequency sound into the house structure. I situated the cyclone with a little bit of room around it to build a sound enclosure if necessary. Hopefully I left enough room around it for this purpose! (The motor extends a few inches above the bottom of the open web floor trusses, so moving it away from the outside concrete wall will require some disassembly).

My installation progress is slowed because I'm finishing up a "minor" remodel in my house (top priority), and wiring my shop and part of the basement is the 2nd priority. The dust collection gets attention when I have time and energy remaining from the higher priorities. I will hopefully finish the wiring within a week so my dust collection will finally make progress again.

You have made tremendous progress. 110/115 dB down to 72 dB, from "siren" noise level to "passing car" noise level. You've cut the sound intensity in half more than six times, about 1/80 of the original sound pressure.

Something that I just noticed on your setup is that you have an immediate branch from your cyclone to your band saw. One of the principles that I am using in my setup is:

For maximum efficiency, particularly with a cyclone, provide a straight run at least 4' long at the entrance into the dust collector inlet. This keeps the incoming air very smooth making for far better material separation and improved efficiency as turbulence kills efficiency.

When the "dust settles" (pardon the pun), you may want to consider a modification in your routing, somehow returning to the band saw from duct work further away from the bandsaw.

After I get the ducting in place, I'm going to try to improve my collection setup for the miter saw, inspired by your success in that arena.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                • Dec 2006
                • Lake County, Illinois
                • Ryobi BT-3000

Leak Check?.......Exactly. I questioned the debris that continuously spun around inside fhe cyclone. All the forum research i read discussing this the "experts" said was caused by vacuum leaks below fhe cyclone in fhe trash drum. Mine always has debris spinning around and to see if it was caused by a trash can leak i bagged the whole thing. No leaks, and stuff still spins, so the experts need fo find another reason for fhis.

capncarl
                Perhaps you have turbulence because of the immediate branch to the bandsaw??? See my previous post. The "wye" near to the cyclone intake may be creating the turbulence.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3873.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	829480
                  Slik, I agree, the turbulence may be caused by the close proxemity of fhe first wye. My table saw is in an adjoining room about 30 pipe feet away, with connections for my drum sander, planer and jointer, and when they are operating I can see no difference in the turbulnce. It may be caused by the wye actually being that close and not having enough straight in feed. I suspect it is just the characteristic of the machine pulling that many cfm, it is not possible to see what other cyclones are doing made of steel or plastic, they may all be this way! Most all of the online photos of others Clearview installations have all kinds of quirky piping close to the inlet, few actually have a long straight pipe feeding the cyclone, so it must not be a big deal. Another reason for the turbulence may be the filters are still fresh and clean, unseasoned as they say, allowing the blower to pump a lot more cfm than the design cfm. and the turbulence may be reduced as they season. I have noticed that when I open several blast gates the turbulencd lessens, but the cfm at the desired tool drops dramatically as well, so whats the point. I bought the machine to suck up fhe dust, not watch the trash spin around inside the cyclone, so as long as it works well im happy with it.

I do have plans for 2 more branches on my duct piping and will possibly move the band saw, but sliding miter saw is where it needs to be so it can have plenty of room on both sides. It will require a lot of piping to duct back to the slider if I move this wye to give the necessary straight pipe to the collector, so that probably won't happen. To explain that, The above photo (no mattter what I tried, i couldn't put it in this line, so it stayed at the top where the server wanted it!) shows the piping that is behind the bandsaw and to the sliding miter saw. The top wye is to the 6" belt sander, the 2nd wye is to the band saw. What isn't shown, and is the reason this piping is where it is, just to the right of the down piping is a thru the wall air conditioner, and to the right of the AC is a window. There are obstacles on the ceiling that mandate where the piping can and can not be located, like lights and a pull down attic staircase.

A note about the filters....... they have such a large open area and are creating so little back pressure now that if you remove fhe cleanout cap in the dust collection box with the cyclone running, hardly any air comes out! The cleanout cap is a loose fit and it won't even blow the cap off. Thats the reason for the clamp, there is no fastening mecanism on the cap to prevent it from blowing off as the filters clog, and i dont want to have to clean up that mess when it does. The clamp is fastened about 1/2" from the cap so i can see if it has moved. (Thats the asnwer to my second question)
                  I've already emptied my trash can one time, probably 20 gallons of sawdust, chips, pencils, and fine dust, but I have not seen any dust at all in the filter cleanout bin. Maybe the filters are holding it, whatever, it is not making it to the bottom. When I have time I may give it a good blowdown and see what falls out.
                  capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Miter saw cabinet update.....
                    Since the miter saw has been connected to the 6" duct system, see previous photos of before and after, I see very little dust being kicked out in front of the saw and none on the floor. Before there was always sawdust on the floor after every cutting. There is an accumulation of sawdust inside the enclosure, but nothing like before, probably just a handful. It's more than I expected though. Next sawing I will remove the 2 pieces of clear plastic that were installed to help guide sawdust to the inlet and see what happens.

The biggest improvement is the connection of the 6" duct to the Delta 6" belt sander. Before with the factory 4" connection it looked like a dust storm when you were using the sander and there was always dust settling on everything. Now I see no dust accumulation on the sander where it was the first to be noticed. The disk sander has been removed from this machine because it was so out of balance it made the whole thing vibrate and walk around the room, so no collection is provided to the disk area.

the disk area.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3900.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	829483

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Reply to bump thread. Good looking dust control system.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Still shows up below a post on 2/7/16 on my iPad?

Comment

• d_meister
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • La Conner, WA.
                          • BT3000

This is way down the list of recent posts below "grayed" out previously seen posts. There's a number of bold new posts at the top, but this cyclone one is bold way down the list. I noticed this behavior a few days ago before Capncarl mentioned it. I'm using Win 10 with Vivaldi browser, which has a Chrome engine.I select "Recent Posts" immediately after opening the sawdustzone.org site.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm viewing this in Firefox on a Win7 box. New posts are at the top and things seem normal to me. Chrome on my Android phone is also displaying things normally.

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

atgcpaul, is this post showing up in the top of the post lists for you using Firefox? It is still the very bottom on on my list and will soon be pushed to page 2 and completely out of sight. I'm using and iPad with whatever operating system comes on it. Curious about this phenomenon because other posts seem to operate correctly. I was trying to generate more discussion about dust collection, this site definately needs more discussion as it's about dried up.

Comment

• d_meister
                                Established Member
                                • Feb 2009
                                • La Conner, WA.
                                • BT3000

Still showing with new post at the bottom below the 2/11 post for me.

Comment

Working...