• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Clearview Cyclone install

When I started my spring shop cleaning last month i encountered so much free range dust i decided to bite the bullet and install proper dust collection. Whatever it costs still has to be cheaper than the medical costs breathing this dust will cost me down the road.

After measuring the only available corner and comparing all the available dust collectors I chose the Clearview CV 1800 5hp. It would fit in the corner where most others would not. I will withhold my comments and opinions of this equipment unless I am asked.

Photo of dust collectors new home

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3744.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	828931
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Nice! Can't wait to see it running

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yes, the View is very Clear. It almost looks like it's not there!
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Several days of thinking about about how to make it fit and assembly. The Clearview seems to be designed for woodworkers with 8' ceilings so my 10' ceilings and the large 7'6" storage shelf poses some challenges. After I installed the Clearview mounting brackets on the wall it finally became clear to me how to determine the cyclones height. I have a wonderful old rolling safety ladder with good handrails that I bring in the shop for installations like this! I let its top handrail be able to just slide under the cyclone inlet chute.... how easy is that?

Parts is parts! Photo of Clearview just unpacked

Name:	IMG_3742.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	828942

Comment

• Slik Geek
          Slik Geek commented
          Editing a comment
          You hoisted the motor assembly onto the rack yourself? With no assistance? It was enough of a load for two people to lift and position!!
      • capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Another challenge in this install is to position the cyclone in this small corner where the filters are easily accessible for cleaning and the chip garbage can can be checked and removed without taking anything apart to get to it! I found the Clearview not to be as adjustable as Oneida V system advertises, but I chose the Clearview because of its overall footprint. These photos later.

All of the large cyclones are heavy. A 5hp motor is about 50 lbs. All instruction manuals refer to "your shop assistant, or ""friend" to set up the assembled machine and heavy parts. I didn't have room for a "finished assembly" that you just rolled in her corner, thus, I decided on the Clearview and assembled and set it up by myself. It was definitely an arm full.

Photo to of 5hp motor on cyclone mount

Name:	IMG_3748.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	828944

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Photo of assembled cyclone hanging in place. Waiting on filters to arrive so I can locate and lock down the equipment.

Name:	IMG_3752.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	828946

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Photo of filters attached to the cyclone. Lots of wiggling required to allow the garbage can to be removed.

Name:	IMG_3757.JPG
Views:	936
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	828960

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Photo of filter support and the garbage can. Can slips right in, only a coat of paint clearance, no sense wasting space!

Name:	IMG_3760.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	828962

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Photo of 6" PVC duct being installed.

Name:	IMG_3759.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	828964

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

It looks like more lighting is in order now. Notice the change in the shadows from the first photo to the one above? After I get the cross pipe into the adjoining room you will have to feel your way through this room!

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I spent a couple of hours diddling with the ducting and decided to take a break from that and wire it up. Oh crap is this thing loud! There will be no question if you will wear ear protection or not, after the first time you turn it on you are trained to not do that again without ear protection. And boy does it suck! I do believe it would suck up a cat or small dog. In the big room with the 2 doors closed it's not that loud, but the 6" duct with 2 open 4" lines have quite a whistle and roar to them. Sound deadening will be very high on my list of must do's.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
                      Several days of thinking about about how to make it fit and assembly. The Clearview seems to be designed for woodworkers with 8' ceilings so my 10' ceilings and the large 7'6" storage shelf poses some challenges.
                      Why does the taller ceiling make it more challenging?

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

It appears that The Clearview cyclone is designed for 8' ceiling height mounting. The sawdust drum just fits under the cyclone and the filter stack sets nicely on on the floor on a clean out box. The inlet to the clycone is on a 10 degree up angle that easily lines your duct at 8' ceiling height mounting.
                        Installing the cyclone higher than 8' requires some thinking and reverse engineering to figure out how to support your filter stack because they are definately not self supported by the cyclone body, and the support has to be exactly the correct height! The 10 degree inlet creates some piping challenges if the cyclone is not mounted jammed against the ceiling. The sawdust drum is a no brained but requires additional purchase of 6" flex because the 4" long piece supplied isn't long enough. Nothing that is a game changer, but adds time to the install.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

The very high noise level of higher hp dust collectors is something that is discussed on every woodworking forum but not a lot of mention in in the manufacturers literature. I guess they hope you wouldn't notice? It seem that the best way to reduce the roar is to build an insulated closet around the collector. That makes me ask..... if the manufacturer knew I was going to have to pack it out of sight in a closet then why did they bother building it out of clear material so we could see it in action?

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Update....I've spent several hours measuring and experimenting with sound deadening with materials I have on hand. Most seemed to make it worse. Yesterday and today we spent hunkered down and getting ready for the storms that are sweeping across the south. They say the storms stop when the cold front moves across, I like the warm winter, it's been mid 70 every day, but it's time to cool off and get rid of the storms. There have been 3 tornadoes and numerous deaths in our community, after they dig everyone out we will get a better idea of the damage. I called my old neighbor checking on him, he is flooded by the creek that finally got me out of the neighborhood, he said every tree in his yard is down, with some on the house, part of the roof blown off. Looks like I'll spend tomorrow helping them.

Comment

Working...